Looking for darn small alternator options.

I think packaging an alternator under the car might be tight... it's already tight to the storage boxes and DS tunnel. The gutted alternator for track use is a cool idea, but I wonder if the gains would be negated by the weight of a larger battery. Unless you've got the $$$ for a LiOn carbon battery.

Just a thought...

Have you considered going - LOST LESS?
OK - I don't know the duration of your track time - or the size of your battery - but I'd bet it is LIGHTWEIGHT. Still, I be you could go a weekend on no alternator (output) sessions.

So, install an alternator for track time that has no WINDINGS (less weight too) for the track time. You'd still have full compliment of pulleys and belts, then reinstall a normal regulator for the drive home.

Not much weight savings in the Alternator - but a USEFUL HP boost! Remember 1 HP = 10 pounds - so a savings of a few HP could equal a load of stuff!

Just call me, A well Hit 3-wood in a Tile Shower! :flash:

Cheers - Jim

On my car 1hp= 5.9# (with me in the car).

My alternator has a standalone belt, so I can remove the whole setup in the event I could find a method to drive the ignition system (about 3-4 Amps continuous average) and the brake lights. LED brakelights might help reduce the electrical drain.

I've looked at trying to run the alternator off the halfshafts, but the belt routing (and replacement) looks to be a bit messy.

I expect to be disappointed, but my curiosity still makes me want to do a bench test of the front ABS sensors to measure the voltage/current output at speed. I don't expect the sensors to be able to run the ignition system load, but I am curious what contribution they could make to slow the decline of the battery voltage if the alternator is removed.

Do they still make the ones built into a waterpump? Trackmate or somesuch?

I ran my alternator from the diff input flange with a timing belt for a few years. I don't anymore if that says anything LOL. On an old Triumph BTW, not a Corvette...