Off to the powder coaters, what color??

cgc68

IF everything goes right the frame is off to the powder coaters next week. I still need to degrease the frame and make up my mind on what color and what parts to coat. Here is where I hope you all can help me. I am thinking silver for the frame. The car is a 68 T-top silver with dark blue interior. I have been thinking about a different color for the car but think I will stay with silver. Every time I see a beautiful Corvette on the forums I change my mind and pick that color for mine, back and forth back and forth. As of this post its (car)silver! Besides the frame I think I will have the T/A, A-arms, and ½ shafts coated. Any other parts? What would be a good color scheme? Should I coat anything in a blue to go with the interior? Please I need help (advice) with this so let's hear your 2 cents.
charlie

Last edited:
Oh, if you intent to do a lot of driing, i would suggest having it coated semi gloss. Won't be as shiny but it'll look better in the long run. The shinyness will wear off from road debris and all and the frame will look stained/sandblasted in areas.

I agree blue could be tacky. I was thinking some small parts in blue. So you think silver frame would look ok or not?

Last edited:
silver, if you can match your exterior color. If it's a different shade silver than the body though it may not look so hot. I'm going silver but my exterior is going to be black.

Actually.....I think a blue frame might look OK provided the "Right" shades
of color are used. A Dark Blue from a distance will appear Black.....
And on a frame you would have to give it close inspection to know it is
actually Blue resulting in a subtle mod.

I know Silver Vettes with Blue interior look awesome if done right.........
A prime example was "CustomVettes" car.
(Yes....his frame was silver........... and it looked great)

Guess.....I would look at it as a challenge..........I think it could be pulled off. :D

JMHO.

Stinger12 your frame is awesome as is your whole project. I have been following your project since the beginning.

Last edited:
Stinger12 your frame is awsome as is your whole project. I have been following your project since the beginning.

Thanks. Twin_turbo has a good point about the glossy stuff - it will eventually lose its shine due to road debris. I had to choose between the gloss color or a color they had which was basically sandblasted metal, but black powdercoat. It was called black sandtex. The reason I chose the gloss over the black sandtex was for ease of cleaning. The gloss is extremely easy to clean...and it doesn't attract dirt. Each has its pros/cons.

I would suggest gloss silver.

I agonized over the black/silver for quite a while but I finally took a chance and really liked the way it turned out. Engine is aluminum which matches the frame. The theme for the chassis is silver with red accent colors, like scatter shield and brakes.

68AluminiumBBsilverchassis2.jpg