1937 ford hot rod project

bobs77vet

well I have finally gotten back to doing some work on the 37 Ford hot rod project this is a father son project with my now 16yr old. we started the project several yrs ago but it went into hibernation mode when we moved and built the new house. so we have just started back up on it

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

Last edited:
Fun fun fun... lotsa cutting and grinding .... but it's looking good so far. Keep the pics coming :thumbs:

hey bird i still have that 49 flat head from when we first met its in the garage....this winter we will take apart the 37 flat head and see whats going on in there.....heres todays work i need to clean it up some more, but its the first bead i have have layed in over 2years

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

Last edited:
well i am happy to say the floor is totally fitted.....i made it so the entire front floor boards are completely removable so if we ever want to change drive lines and or brakes etc we will have complete access to everything on the frame......this was not a hard task but damn if it didnt take a boat load of time. it sits a a fabricated square tubing frame so the floor bords and seat support bracketry are nice and secure.

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Last edited:
woo hoo......kicking ass here......finsihed the welding on the front lower qtr panel....and how have the fiberglass, plastic filler,and primer on the qtr panel......goal is to have all body work done by January 1 so we can move to pulling the engine......maybe tonight i can finish all the sanding and spray the final coat this week on the repaired area. i think i like the mechanical aspects more then the body work aspects. although welding is fun.

Did you bead roll the floor panels yourself?

the floor boards were from bitchin and they came with the bead roll....i did use the bead roller for the ends where they were offset during the mock up process. its kind of a fun tool. this project is for fun and to give my 16 yr old and i something fun to do together. he is learning to weld on this project so we have some fugly welds.....

getting closer.....to the engine rebuild. we need to make some notes on the wiring and then we are off to seperating trans from engine

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg
IMG_4405.jpg

leak down test complete......#1 85% loss, #2 60% and the rest are 50%

yup i think its time for a rebuild, heads come off this week i hope

Bob, You in the V8 Ford club up there?? if so...see if any of the olde tyme guyz remember the name Mike Carroll.....he was a NavAir M/E I think, he was really active in the club some 20 years ago...

:thumbs:

no i havent joined any clubs yet, i just dont have any extra time, i did see some of the cars at the clifton car show had their club affliation on the window placards were in that club but i didnt get a chance to strike up a conversation with any of them

Thats gonna be fun. Are you gonna watch the rebuilder pour the bearings? I've never seen that done. A local guy is having his 1948 V8 overhauled right away. I'm trying to get an invite to witness the procedure.

the first generation flat head has the poured bearings , this one is a second generation and has the replaceable bearings the 48 should have replaceable bearings also. the connecting rod bearings are floating bearings i think thats pretty cool.

all is not lost if you have never seen how those valves are held in its worth watching them put those in, its kind of a neat engineerig feat.

Interesting project. Many many years ago I drove a 36 Ford sedan. Does the 37 have the enclosed driveshaft?

yes a torque tube all the way to the rear axle just like new vettes have....

Cool. That brings back a lot of memories. My future wife and I went on dates in that old car. Around 1964-65.

I had to change a transmission in it once. If memory serves me right I had to unbolt the rear axles and roll the wheels back. Then, the transmission had to come out through the top....meaning I had to take out the seats and floorboard and lift the trans straight up.

We also had to do a lot of push starting. Darn 6 volt system.
I'm sure it was embarrassing for her to be all dressed up on a date then have to get out and help push that tank. :hissyfit:

Last edited: