Blue devil paint code

Was able to swing by PPG today and glad I did.
Some of you may remember me saying several times not to be to quick
to take a Paint Reps word as fact...... always check it out.

The PPG guys tell a little different story.
1st off.........Belgian.....your assumption was right.
That BLUE is a Tri-Coat color. The PPG color chip book has it listed correctly.
PPG also refers to the color as "Bluestream".....same as Sikkens.
According to the PPG Reps......"Tintcoat" means "3 stage / candy effect" (like Belgian stated earlier) :thumbs:
(Sikkens incorrect listing had me scratching my head........ I have yet to be impressed with them.)

The High dollar toner is called "Arctic Fire" ..... it is a Pearl which has "Flip-Flop"
characteristics. Interestingly the Tuscaloosa store did not have any in stock.
Their Main store in Birmingham is where it is kept.

As for the price.........
Their Base Coat is $196.00 a quart.
Remember this is a 3 stage.

The Mid Coat color is $96.90 a quart.
This is a tinted clear....... Basically a candy paint job.

Then you would apply a plain clear coat over this.
.................Still looking at close to $300.00.

Below is a copy of the formula print out I had them run.
Left.....is the Mid coat
Right....is the base coat containing the Arctic Fire.

Note the comments at the bottom of the Right column.......Undercoat G6.
We did not address this.....I noticed it after leaving......????

I ask about the $60,000 stuff and all I got was :huh: :confused: :bonkers:
I pass by the Chevy Dealer every morning........might have to pay them a visit. :D
This has been sort of fun and quite interesting......Learn something new everyday. :thumbs:

PPG-Paint-Formula.jpg

Last edited:
Well I was basically looking at the candy blue's, but they come in only three kinds as far as I've found out :
- SEM Aqua blue
- SEM royal blue
- HOK oriental blue and something darker cobalt blue.

In tint neither one of them is exactly were I want it, the aqua being to light, the rest a little to dark.:smash: The jetstream color was close, but as it seems and from the quotes I got on the candies, it looks like it is more expensive overall. hmm

My thinking is that it would be possible to closely match the jetstream tint seen the fact that it only uses 1 tinted coat. I don't think the ingredient namely the ink is that much different from the other ink's. Must be mostly the basecoat. But then again, you mention a flipflop effect. Well, i'm going to do an inquiry over here.

How much do you think you need to have an intire C3 sprayed (door jambs and all ?)

Last edited:
How much do you think you need to have an entire C3 sprayed (door jambs and all ?)

Typically 2 maybe 3 quarts should be plenty...........but dealing with custom colors
it would be hard to say. Not knowing how well one covers (achieves color build)
I would be only guessing.

I check out Dupont today on the codes that you gave me. They said it was a two coat...basecoat (pearl) and a clear coat on top. Strange:suspicious:

That really does not surprise me :huh2:
Some Brands will have a 2 stage alternate for a 3 stage color...........
But this looks to be a "Candy" color and I just don't see a 2 stage being able
to replicate it properly.
(But........ like I said earlier......I have not seen a Jetstream Blue Vette in person.)

NOTE:
This inconsistence between brands is a prime example why I stress
getting a Tech Sheet / Manual with any product you buy. You may
be familiar with one brand and discover you don't "crap" about another.
(I've always been a little partial to PPG.....the product has always been good to me :D )

It pays to do your homework (research) .....
Get it in Print (writing) from the manufacture of the product you choose.
Don't mix brands with one another unless a Tech Sheet clearly states that
they are indeed compatible.

Well, you are absolutly right. I also checked with spieshecker (which was a lot more expensive) and they came up with the 2 stage also.

However I don't think it is 2 stage. Looks to deep to me. I've seen other jetstream blue's on youtube, but the look lighter. But then again looks are deceiving on a monitor.

Hmm, this is proving to be a difficult one. Have to try and find a ppg-dealer here and see what he's getting.

Ok, I went by a ppg dealer here and they actually had the arctic component in stock, so I had them make a small amount for a test spray.

Looks promising. It is actually a base coat with a tinted clear coat. I will let you know the results.

If they turn out ok, this is going to be the color of my vette.

Ok here goes : don't mind the bugs, dust and other things in the spray. I'm spraying outside.

I applied tintcoats in a different thichness as you can see them in the numbers : 4,6,8,12 and the far left is 24 :shocking:

The tintcoats were only good in my opinion from 10 onwards, below that it's kind of shallow i think.

Anyway, don't know if the pictures show the paint to good.

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03446.jpg

The effect with the tintcoats is that the less you use the more the metalflake shows, the more coats the less. If you apply more, the tint is a little darker, but not to much (the tinted clear shows only very little when you paint it on white paper), what it does is make the paint show more different tints of blue from different angles. Never saw any real candy job here, so I'm still guessing as to the effect, but I suppose it's something like this.

Last edited: