Rotten fuel and ????

My Mobil just put "Contains Ethanol" on my pumps today. Switching to Chevron.

Jeff, I can't swear what is what on this long term problem, it's not like the vette is the ONLY thing on my mind over the last few years, ya know??....so anyway, the way I remember it there was no ethanol some 5+ years ago ....

but this last go round is well branded in my ass, and so to get that oil/water separator setup on this car on the suction side so as not worry about injection pressures....

thing is....SO FAR even with the ethanol...i'ts fine...this week...

only down 1/2 a tank though....but the best it's been in years now...

:quote:

Gene, All in know is since they cam out with this stuff, car fires are up, accelerator pumps croak, and injector seals go out. The E-85 cars don't care, but it's rough on the old stuff.

Gene, All in know is since they cam out with this stuff, car fires are up, accelerator pumps croak, and injector seals go out. The E-85 cars don't care, but it's rough on the old stuff.

I have heard of those problems, and thank GOD I have not had any of THOSE problems....O ringy doos, fuel lines, even the O ring replacement on bottom of my '72 tank here was fine...replaced some years ago...

SO FAR...:gurney: so you seem to have a symptom traceable to ethanol, and I just dunno for sure.....

better living through chemistry....:eek:

Do you happen to know if those filters above can be used in the suction end of my DPFI fuel pump?? and so not see line pressures??? and can they suffer the recirculation/throughput inherent in DPFI systems???

You might visit a boat shop and quiz them about the water separator filters. Lots of boats run them and with FI being more common on both inboard and outboards boats lately, I'd bet you can learn from them the best way to install such a filter on your FI car.

DC

Hey DC, the car is running great now, just idled it all over the hood with wife, top down slo....looking at Christmas lights pretty much a acid test....ran fine on the freeway yesterday....90 and pulls like a bear....

Not seen your intro as I recall, note you post count....so...

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen.....

:hi:

Thanks for the welcome. Didn't do the intro thing. Been hanging out on the "other" site forever. Decided to come over and check in on the banished bunch :D and friends to see what was happening over here. I don't play favorites - just drive my Vette and try to learn and offer what I can. Good site. Needs more action. All Bee Bach. :goodevil:

DC

Gene, why not throw a petcock in a low spot on the tank? Every airplane built has a sump/drain system of some type. At least you'd be able to see if it's getting water a little at a time or getting dumped on. That old kerosene buffalo you were on with me there in Jax only has about 8 sump points.

Gene, why not throw a petcock in a low spot on the tank? Every airplane built has a sump/drain system of some type. At least you'd be able to see if it's getting water a little at a time or getting dumped on. That old kerosene buffalo you were on with me there in Jax only has about 8 sump points.

8 sump points?? my car?? I don't understand....

:bonkers:

Water collects in the low spots- airplanes may have several- find the low spot in your tank and screw a damn petcock in there, drain it once in a while and see if you get any goo.

Hell, I may be riding with you when it craps out- and I DON"T LIKE TO WALK!:harhar:

Water collects in the low spots- airplanes may have several- find the low spot in your tank and screw a damn petcock in there, drain it once in a while and see if you get any goo.

Hell, I may be riding with you when it craps out- and I DON"T LIKE TO WALK!:harhar:

You seen my 'feet' I CAN't walk, like got nuttin to do with it....

:crutches:

as to the tank, I really dunno the last time I drained it untill just last week, and I remember doing it way before on two occations down here, but the engine just flat died with NO GAS in the lines.....I did not know gas and water would eventually combine into that crappy stinky coffee looking mess.....I figgered it would be just.... water on bottom, and gas on top....so obviously that little lack of knowledge drove me crazy...:tomato: for some 3-4 years now.....just enough shit in the bottom to allow just enough gas to run the engine, funny that if it got through the sock at all, it wasn't just allowed to circulate through on a regular basis....gas/water must be somehow block by that sock, and just a bit got through...but then running it that lo, well, funny the engine ran fine for about 30 seconds when filling the tank at roadside....but then it shook violently and died, would not restart....acted like a carb outta gas....

I drained the 4-5 gallons I put in, and stuck it in the van/truck...runs fine...but that final 1" of crap, is what I used the highly explosive shop vac to suck it out with, Thanks for the tip....TT, made things so much easier and quicker.....:stirpot::stirpot::lol::lol::hunter:

so I"m right back to my basic question...why the vette, and the vette only, why is this engine more 'sensitive' to the water problem....why the water problem at ALL in the first place....it makes NO sense to my techy mind....

unless some old 'friends' are messing with the tank....hense the locking gas cap.....

:suicide: