Blue devil paint code

New for 2009

Here is a rundown of the new features and content changes for the '09 Corvette lineup:

Two new exterior colors – Cyber Gray Metallic and Blade Silver Metallic are added, while Machine Silver Metallic is discontinued.
This brings the Corvette's exterior palette to nine colors.

This is what I found so far..........got to "assume" that the BLUE was also
a 2008 color. Plan to go to the shop today.....I'll take a look at our color
chip manuals for 2008 and see if I can't get you a code #.

Edit: Just found this..................

Exterior colors
– There are two new premium exterior colors available with 2008 Corvette models:
Jetstream Blue Metallic Tintcoat and Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat; they replace Le Mans Blue Metallic
and Monterey Red Metallic Tintcoat.

Won't know for sure till I see a color chip.............Let you know. :thumbs:

Last edited:
The little guy (my youngest son "6" ) has been asking to go to work with me
for some time now......so I told him to get dressed and let's go.
I was going in to straighten a frame on a ML Mercedes and replace the
front cross member... just to be ahead of the game come tomorrow.

Upon arriving we went straight to the paint room and got the 2008 color
chip book......then I asked him if he really wanted to work or just screw off
around town for a while.......Long story short.......we didn't get any work done. :bounce:

There is only one Blue in 2008 and that's the "Jetstream Blue". I double checked
this with the Corvette Black Book at the local book store just down the
street from the shop.

Our AKZO NOBEL manual (aka SIKKENS) calls the color just "Bluestream".

NOTE: Page from manual ........3rd Row ....3rd color from Left.
GM-08-Color-Chips.jpg

Blue-Color-Chip.jpg

85/WA512Q.......is what your looking for.
M.2c................ Metallic / Base Coat Clear (2 stage)
CO.X............... (CO) Corvette (X) XLR.... Only two models GM used this color on in 2008.

Don't ask what "Tintcoat" means in the previous post................I don't know..:confused:

Probably way more info than you were asking for :nuts:
:D:drink:

Last edited:
Great info smyda :drink:

I'm just guessing, but doesn't a tint paint mean that they use a tinted clearcoat on top of the basecoat and then topped with a regular clear. Kinda like a candy system..

I saw a 2009 ZR1 promo on youtube and they said that the blue devil's paint was about 60000 $ a gallon... hard to believe but if it really is a tintcode aka candysystem it could be a expensive paint.

I'm just guessing, but doesn't a tint paint mean that they use a tinted clearcoat on top of the basecoat and then topped with a regular clear. Kinda like a candy system..

I'm assuming this is the right color (for 2009) using the process of elimination.
It is indeed the right color (for 2008) that I have picked out....it is showing 2c
which is 2 stage / basecoat-clear. If it were a Tri-coat it would have a 3c.
Which is typically preceded by a P which indicates Pearl . Ex...P.3c
I'll have to inquire to what GM is referring to with "Tintcoat".

Years ago they would say "Poly" which just meant "Metallic".

The blue on the cars in the videos I've seen looks mighty close to the chip in the book.
That scan I just did does not render the color well at all.

$60,000 for a gallon.........that's more than half the price of the car.
Got a link to this video?

Last edited:

I'm assuming this is the right color (for 2009) using the process of elimination.
It is indeed the right color (for 2008) that I have picked out....it is showing 2c
which is 2 stage / basecoat-clear. If it were a Tri-coat it would have a 3c.
Which is typically preceded by a P which indicates Pearl . Ex...P.3c
I'll have to inquire to what GM is referring to with "Tintcoat".

Years ago they would say "Poly" which just meant "Metallic".

The blue on the cars in the videos I've seen looks mighty close to the chip in the book.
That scan I just did does not render the color well at all.

$60,000 for a gallon.........that's more than half the price of the car.
Got a link to this video?

I think the 60k a gallon is just for the clear part of the hood

If I heard everything correctly....."IF".................??

The car being auctioned had a ONE ONLY color on it that was $60,000 a gallon.......?
It was a Le Mans Blue not the Jetstream.......did anyone else get that....??
Maybe I need to watch that again.........:confused:

I think it looks pretty much like the jetstream. Lemans blue is darker i would say.

But 60000 $. I would be impelled to think that you could have it goldplated for that kind of money.

Just a note of interest on the color Jetstream Blue 85/WA512Q.
We tried to pull up the mix formula today in our computer database
to see if there was anything "special" about it. Guess what?
It isn't in our system. :confused:

Sikkens has no formula on record for this color.
Going to pay PPG a visit this week and see what they come up with.
Till then........................???????????????

Just a note of interest on the color Jetstream Blue 85/WA512Q.
We tried to pull up the mix formula today in our computer database
to see if there was anything "special" about it. Guess what?
It isn't in our system. :confused:

Sikkens has no formula on record for this color.
Going to pay PPG a visit this week and see what they come up with.
Till then........................???????????????

That is interesting. Please let me know.

Today our Sikkens Rep dropped by so I hit him up about the '08 Vette color.
Had him try to pull the code up on our system.......was unable to.....that had
him scratching his head. So he makes a phone call to the main store.

This color does have a "special toner" in it that is kept at the main store.
If we need a mix they would do it and bring it us. The toner is to expensive
and we would not use enough to justify stocking it at our shop.
(So the main store DOES have a formula.............we don't)

The Toner is a "flip-flop" ........ I'm going to guess silver-to-blue, since I have
not seen one of these cars in person. He told me the name of it but I have
forgotten.. :( The chip saids it's a 2 stage but he was unable to confirm
yes or no. Guess no one is our area has actually sprayed any yet.

I ask next, how much for quart of this color cost? ......... $500.00 a quart.
$2,000.00 a gallon..... and that is just for the color, you would still need
reducer, clear, activator, etc.

I also asked about the "$60,000 Coating" and what was meant by "Tintcoat".
They had no idea about either one.

I've been really cover up this week, first chance I get I'm still going to inquire at PPG.

So it is a special expensive paint. Kind of explains why it gives that special shine to it.

But at over 500 $ a quart ?

Anyway, is the paintchipcode correct ?

To pay that kind of money, guess I"d have to get a WalMart rattle can.....

:trumpet::trumpet::gurney::shocking:

Sure that's funny, but I don't get the expression. Care to explain ?

To come back to the paint : it is expensive, but it's the paint/paintjob of your vette that get's viewed the most ; so it's worth some money. The blue is a eyecatcher and that's on the pc screen. I'm guessing it's even better irl.

Sure that's funny, but I don't get the expression. Care to explain ?

To come back to the paint : it is expensive, but it's the paint/paintjob of your vette that get's viewed the most ; so it's worth some money. The blue is a eyecatcher and that's on the pc screen. I'm guessing it's even better irl.

Walmart spray bomb at a buck a can flat black....seriously thinking of sanding down and painting the whole damn car with it.....total paint cost near 30 bux or so.....

CONSIDERING that MY car is driven on the streets daily, I think any paint job is an expendable item, so the stealth look and a spray bomb....easy to fix, door dings/scratches....even deliberate cigarette burns (yes there is one on my driver's side front fender) are the way of the world.....so I feel that paint and body is the last thing to do.....

case in point for this car....about 2 years ago, I finally had the headlights in there and managed with great difficulty to finally paint a 1/2 assed paint job on the top of the fenders, and headlights, and it looked more or less ok.....but it didn't last a lousey MONTH before some SOB in a Verizon truck took his friggin trailer hitch into the bumper just on the driver's side headlight....2500 bux from their insurance company I got to do it all over again....but the car will not come back perzactly as it was....it's damn close, doubtful anyone could tell but I can.....but once again....outta paint to do the same gray I used before so I just dutch it in with black Walmart spray bomb.....

over the DECADES I have had a decent looking car for some maybe 2 years max, and some damn off the wall shit happens....like wiping out a car on a country road via a friggin' damn COW, took out the whold damn drivers side left cow hair/hide on the RV mirror.....

or some damn lady stops in the right lane all of a sudden and cuts the wheel into the side of my GTO/Lemans convertible.....

shit like that allways happens....NEW, repainted, decent looking.....not for long....not a damn thing I ever do, really just the way it IS.....

call me the turtlevette of paint jobs....long as the body is straight, hell with it....

:devil::devil::devil:

I seriously feel that investing anything over 200 bux into this body work, and paint would invite that :devil::devil::devil:right into the garage and set fire to the SOB ......serious.....sorry to be so bitter, but I don't understand how anybody does it.....lock the friggin car in a BANK VAULT some 5 stories in the air, then with MY luck some damn terrorist would fly a damn plane into it....swear....

:cussing::cussing::cussing: