NEW computer....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
OK, I have a old speed density system on my oddball engine, that is a 1227730 computer set like it was a '91 F body v8, so it's got that olde tyme CalPak in there with the chips I know nothing about, and so.....

I was told that with a wide band O2, I can get the computer to go lean for better fuel economy IF I switch to a newer computer....

so thinking of my typical junkyard solution...a sequential system from GM, and then to address the thing from a laptop....

A few of you may remember I had a fucking COW trying that shit 3 years ago with a Megasquirt and due to programming I did not understand....it was a total failure...so the question is...IF I go to a newer GM computer, can I totally address that thing from a laptop with a MODERN USB port and not bullshit about it....can I call up stuff that makes sense?? can I tell it to run lean as hell whenever possible?? my '72 obviously has NO cat ass trophic converter....so why NOT?? long as it don't ping...

curious as to what is going on today with STOCK computers not some aftermarket crap that costs way TOOOOOO much money...something American out of a junkyard.....

any thoughts??? experiences??

to go from batch fire to sequential, and more versatility.... is only 6 more wires...woopie doo...

:eek::thumbs:

You won't have any connectivity problems with LT-1 edit or LS-1 edit, but you will still have a steep learning curve. There are great forums out there for computer mods/ programming. That is why I went with the FAST system. All of the newer aftermarket ECU's have user friendly tuning aids. Not so with OEM set-ups.

I am considering a TPI system from AFI. They offer a programmable ECM option with wideband O2 support. Haven't talked to them yet to learn about that option but you might be able to pick their brains to see if it fits your needs or gives you an idea as to where to obtain the ECM you want. Here's a link:

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/index.php?id=12&title=Tuned+Port+Fuel+Injection

Click on "Buy Now" to see what options are available. Hope this helps.

DC

Still batch fire and it looks like they are selling the same ecm that mrvette already has. He is looking for the same thing I am sequential port injection for cheap! I would think you could use a emc from a late 90's Silverado. The problem I have run into is the price of the software to reprogram.

About 3 years ago, convinced my batch fire MAP GM computer 1227730 was messed up in the programing somehow...I tried going aftermarket, found nothing but problems with the Mega Squirt....it's not the MS itself, but the programming, I could not get ANYTHING sorted out....so hell with it...

then to find out it's WATER in the gas.....causing that terrible idle and crap....I still pissed about that, locking gas cap NOW....

I thinking of a crank trigger, but to leave the L98 dizzy to do the sequencing and single coil, as I fail to see what one coil/cyl or any other likely arrengement brings to the table other than cool/modern LOOKS.... I"m basically a junkyard hotrodder, IF I would fish parts outta some cars, MAYBE....but I do NOT trust anything to do with aftermarket computers....not anymore....that programming is a bit much, worse than MSFT even....:bomb:

The coil on plug might be a little much but I don't think the ls emc would be that bad of a way to go. The $700 software though is a real killer.

The coil on plug might be a little much but I don't think the ls emc would be that bad of a way to go. The $700 software though is a real killer.

I find pleasure in figgering out stuffs for myself, and so have been a junkyard hotrodder for 50 years now.....besides, it's cheeeeeper.....

I had about 700 in the ENTIRE TPI swap....on my l48 in the shark 15 years ago...that was up and running....

today it would be less than 400 as 250 buck cal paks are now about 100 or so....AND I understand there are new chips now, that plug/play with the old chip and don't need a U/V eraser and burner crap....just a simple addy and d/load.....assuming one knows WTF they are doing....I don't on programming....

:drink:

I am considering a TPI system from AFI. They offer a programmable ECM option with wideband O2 support. Haven't talked to them yet to learn about that option but you might be able to pick their brains to see if it fits your needs or gives you an idea as to where to obtain the ECM you want. Here's a link:

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/index.php?id=12&title=Tuned+Port+Fuel+Injection

DC

I'm runnimng a TPI system from them. It was great for the first 1 1/2 years and then I started having problems. I was getting funky voltage readings from sensors and the car was running like crap. There were times I didn't think I would make it home. Then the harness started falling apart. I was in constant contact with them and basically got nowhere. I finally ripped the whole electrical system, computer and all out and bought the Accel Thruster laptop programmable system with wideband O2. Best thing I ever did. The car runs so sweet now it's like night and day. I would suggest buying the manifolds and runners from AFI and then getting the Accel system from Jegs. Just my .02.

Still batch fire and it looks like they are selling the same ecm that mrvette already has. He is looking for the same thing I am sequential port injection for cheap! I would think you could use a emc from a late 90's Silverado. The problem I have run into is the price of the software to reprogram.

They do sell the same ECM that Gene already has but they also sell a programmable ECM with wideband O2 support and support for nitrous systems. I've not contacted them yet but I talked to a guy who thinks their programmable ECM will do either batch or sequential. I agree it's not cheap but the thought in bringing it up was that maybe we could find out what ECM they are using and see if it was a factory unit on a newer model vehicle and might be available used or at least cheaper.

DC

They do sell the same ECM that Gene already has but they also sell a programmable ECM with wideband O2 support and support for nitrous systems. I've not contacted them yet but I talked to a guy who thinks their programmable ECM will do either batch or sequential. I agree it's not cheap but the thought in bringing it up was that maybe we could find out what ECM they are using and see if it was a factory unit on a newer model vehicle and might be available used or at least cheaper.

DC
I don't know if its the same ECM or not but thats what the link to thirdgen.org was for. Using newer factory ECM.
the 01-02 LS1 PCM 12200411 was used in the 01-02 Express Van that still uses the Gen 1 small block (L31) with cam sensor (distributor) and crank sensor with external igniton module and coil (like the LT1).

Currently EFILive supports this PCM and offers some pretty cool features (auto VE correction, custom OS, etc).
But like I said the problem is the cost of the software.

DC

I'm runnimng a TPI system from them. It was great for the first 1 1/2 years and then I started having problems. I was getting funky voltage readings from sensors and the car was running like crap. There were times I didn't think I would make it home. Then the harness started falling apart. I was in constant contact with them and basically got nowhere. I finally ripped the whole electrical system, computer and all out and bought the Accel Thruster laptop programmable system with wideband O2. Best thing I ever did. The car runs so sweet now it's like night and day. I would suggest buying the manifolds and runners from AFI and then getting the Accel system from Jegs. Just my .02.

That's good to know. The intake is actually available from the manufacturer so I could bypass AFI. Does the Accel system use GM sensors and other readily available parts? That was one of the reasons I looked into the AFI system in the first place. I may pick your brain some more in the coming days as I really need to make a decision and get on with it.

DC

DC

That's good to know. The intake is actually available from the manufacturer so I could bypass AFI. Does the Accel system use GM sensors and other readily available parts? That was one of the reasons I looked into the AFI system in the first place. I may pick your brain some more in the coming days as I really need to make a decision and get on with it.

DC
Yea, all the sensors are GM. The only thing I had to change was the plug for the IAT sensor. The Accel system had a plug for a Caprice sensor. The pigtail is available from GM also. You should be able to buy the manifold etc. from First Fuel Injection, they are the manufacturer and work with Affordable who makes the electrical end of the package. The Accel system is so much better I can't even begin to explain. It is programmable to the point that if you had the knowledge, someone could drive the car and you could adjust the programming from the pass seat in real time. I even bought the dual-sync distributor so I could run the injector sequentially, but it would not fit with the intake. My tuner said it would be wasted on my application anyway. The performance of the car is like night and day from the OBD-1 system.

DC

DC
Yea, all the sensors are GM. The only thing I had to change was the plug for the IAT sensor. The Accel system had a plug for a Caprice sensor. The pigtail is available from GM also. You should be able to buy the manifold etc. from First Fuel Injection, they are the manufacturer and work with Affordable who makes the electrical end of the package. The Accel system is so much better I can't even begin to explain. It is programmable to the point that if you had the knowledge, someone could drive the car and you could adjust the programming from the pass seat in real time. I even bought the dual-sync distributor so I could run the injector sequentially, but it would not fit with the intake. My tuner said it would be wasted on my application anyway. The performance of the car is like night and day from the OBD-1 system.

OK, WHAT if difference??? specifically....smoother idle, economy, tuneability.....power....
please be specific as you can.....

:thumbs::fishing:

[/COLOR]

OK, WHAT if difference??? specifically....smoother idle, economy, tuneability.....power....
please be specific as you can.....

:thumbs::fishing:[/QUOTE]

All of the above, except for maybe economy. I haven't had it on the road long enough with the new system to accurately check that aspect. I know nothing about tuning, but the shop I had do it said the system was as good as any he'd used previously, such as Fast. His shop builds race engines and he does all the tuning. All I know is he said I made a good choice with the Accel system. It comes with the softwarw on a CD and it looks like with the proper knowledge it could be tuned to a gnats ass.

Here's my system

AJ - your system looks great. I've done a little research today and I am really liking the Thruster option. Thanks much for bringing it to my attention. Did you end up with the Stage 2 Thruster system or the base system? I'm thinking the base will meet my needs and it looks like I can upgrade later if need be.

I'm wondering if I should buy anything other than the intake from First (injectors, etc) or just get everything else from Accel. Any thoughts?

Does the software require a laptop with a serial port or is USB an option?

What fuel pump did you end up with? I'm considering in-tank options but don't have a problem with external as long as it is quiet.

Appreciate your input.

Gene - sorry I hijacked your thread. I owe you a beer.

DC

no sweat, I getting edjumakated too, IF I can try another computer for cheep enough...meaning factory stock with a laptop input program that don't cost 500 bux, that's fine....

make it 6 and call it a day....

snore.....:quote:

no sweat, I getting edjumakated too, IF I can try another computer for cheep enough...meaning factory stock with a laptop input program that don't cost 500 bux, that's fine....

make it 6 and call it a day....

snore.....:quote:
Better not call it a day then. This system was $1600.00. I have an external fuel pump, I think it is a Carter, but I can definitely hear it. Not bad, but it's there. I'm not sure what a stage 2 is. If you mean with a wideband 02, then yes. I still haven't had a chance to really drive the car much with this system. It was monsoon here last week. It does require a laptop for tuning and it's over my head, but I don't think it would be that difficult to learn.