Bringin SmokinBBC Back to Life

SmokinBBC

Most of you have probably seen my project or had input/advice for me. To make a long story short:

Bought my 70BB a few years ago in hopes that I could restore it to it's original beauty...but, with a few minor upgrades along the way...I sold my 70SB and started along the way. Well I am keeping to my plan with one major exception...although it ran very strong, the engine was consistently causing me headaches....so I had it rebuilt into a roller motor. I posted a thread in the engine section if anyone is interested in the build.

Here's the engine thread:

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139

I did the diff rebuild myself with some major help from GTR1999. Gary built the posi unit. Gary also rebuilt my steering box.:1st:

Anyway, after discussing this with some friends and many of you on DC, I decided on a shop to do the bodywork/paint. I drove it off right before last Thanksgiving(late November for you guys on the other side of the big pond). I hope to get it back sometime in May.

Here are the progress pics.

DifffullyrebuiltMorePics009.jpg
Difffullyrebuilt018.jpg

Rivit dimples repaired
IMG_0146.jpg

Filling in the Luggage Rack holes.
70Corvette0030.jpg

Body pics.
70Corvette0033.jpg
70Corvette0064_L.jpg
70Corvette0066_L.jpg
70Corvette0081_L.jpg

Steering Box was rebuilt by Gary. Trans was rebuilt by a local Muncie rebuilder.

witness_marks.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0355.jpg
IMG_0247.jpg

Lense polishing:
IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg

Last edited:
Wow I didn't know you were going that far into the resto

It will turn out very nice

Looking good :thumbs: why did you only repair a couple of the rivet bumps? i would do them all while you're at it, the others are bound to give you trouble later on.

Looking good :thumbs: why did you only repair a couple of the rivet bumps? i would do them all while you're at it, the others are bound to give you trouble later on.

They were all popping and they were all fixed. Bad Picture. Here's a better pic.

70Corvette0027_L.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Paul. My 69 is/was Lemans Blue/blk. I have it stripped down to the glass and sitting now for 5 years! I have to bond in the headlight V bar. I had the same issue with the rivets, I chisled out the support and replaced the bonding strip less the rivets. Every summer I tell myself I'm going to get back to working on it but never do.
Post some pictures on the paint when you get it done, I think I'll stay with the blue as well.

Looks good Paul. My 69 is/was Lemans Blue/blk. I have it stripped down to the glass and sitting now for 5 years! I have to bond in the headlight V bar. I had the same issue with the rivets, I chisled out the support and replaced the bonding strip less the rivets. Every summer I tell myself I'm going to get back to working on it but never do.
Post some pictures on the paint when you get it done, I think I'll stay with the blue as well.

My bonding strip came out rather easy. It is all bonded back together with some super adhesive.

My dash pad, front panels and console are all in excellent shape, so I want to keep the light blue interior. My last vette, the PO changed the interior to black and did a poor job of dying the old pieces. The black interior otherwise looked fantastic..carpet, seats, panels, etc. It was a shame that he did a poor job with the dye.

I really like the lemans blue body color.

I like the tall wood blocks. Gotta make me a set of those.
(Car looks good too):lol: