Quest for unique tail lights

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
My original tail lights are long gone, all I have for now is those bubble tail lights covers as templates.
So, what if I want bicolor (red and clear) tail lights?
Spent a couple of hours searching, and here's what I've found :

Elise tail lights (like in the Menace project) $$$
2008-lotus-elise-california-taillights-photo-117781-s-520x318.jpg

Ferrari 355 $$$$$
7840158706_2fc5188bd4.jpg

Nissan GTR $$$
2009-nissan-gt-r-6.jpg

1st Gen Camaro taillight, looking nice, but do they have the correct diameter?
70-73_camaro_tail_lights_50_mansfield_12033411.jpg

Ford Thunderbird/Fairlane(?) tail lights, same thing, are they the right diameter?
EDIT deleted pic because of google malware alert

You guys gonna say you can't have the cake and eat it too, but still, I'm looking for ideas to get something special without spending hundreds.

none of those options is going to be cheap..... how about a set of used taillights and the bubble covers from Ecklers ???

Do you have a fiberglass bumper? If so, you could open the holes up and fit C6 taillights... you can find those on Ebay for somewhat reasonable money.....

none of those options is going to be cheap..... how about a set of used taillights and the bubble covers from Ecklers ???
Got the bubble cover, and that's my plan A so far. I was just wondering if bicolor cover was possible.
If only the diameter would match, the Fairlane way would be pretty cool and cheap.

Do you have a fiberglass bumper? If so, you could open the holes up and fit C6 taillights... you can find those on Ebay for somewhat reasonable money.....
Yes, fiberglass bumper. How bigger are they?

I can get you some measurements of the opening by the end of the week.... but the bubbles are probably your best option. I like mine and if I need them to be any brighter I'll get some LED bulbs off da'Ebay.... :quote:

My original tail lights are long gone, all I have for now is those bubble tail lights covers as templates.
So, what if I want bicolor (red and clear) tail lights?

Here are some red/clear lenses and a direct fit also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-Re...ts=Model:Corvette&hash=item1c2a69554f&vxp=mtr
That's what I was thinkin'. :drink:
Ah ah, you're right guys, this is surely the simplest and cheapest solution, but you got to admit it's not very custom.

I've found this : http://www.alumilite.com/howtos/TailLightCastingNoEquipment.cfm
I'm wondering how durable is a cast tail light compared to injected plastic.

Hello,

I just recieved the latest issue of the Swedish US car magazine "Wheels" featuring an article on a Cuda built by Jocke Cedergren. This car has the most amazing tail lights I have ever seen!
He built them himself using LED:s and a system of hidden mirrors inside the taillight giving an effect of the LED:s fading into "eternity" in to the tail light.
Sorry if my explanation sounds completely crazy but it´s a bit difficult to explain...
Tried to find some photos on the net of the car but only came up with a link to a local car meeting where you can see the tail lights if you scroll down to the orange Cuda.
Maybe it can give some inspiration, I think it would fit perfectly on a Corvette!

Link:

http://www.nitroz.se/persaker/tema.html

Hello,

I just recieved the latest issue of the Swedish US car magazine "Wheels" featuring an article on a Cuda built by Jocke Cedergren. This car has the most amazing tail lights I have ever seen!
He built them himself using LED:s and a system of hidden mirrors inside the taillight giving an effect of the LED:s fading into "eternity" in to the tail light.
Sorry if my explanation sounds completely crazy but it´s a bit difficult to explain...
Tried to find some photos on the net of the car but only came up with a link to a local car meeting where you can see the tail lights if you scroll down to the orange Cuda.
Maybe it can give some inspiration, I think it would fit perfectly on a Corvette!

Link:

http://www.nitroz.se/persaker/tema.html

You mean this one right?
jockebak.JPG

The "infinite mirror" trick is something like that :
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_XtUrhvz9Y[/ame]
Trick is to put the light source between a perfect mirrot (behind the source) and a semi-reflective mirror (in front of the source).
I knew the effect, but never thought applying it to tail light.
Not sure how road legal is that, but it's pretty cool for a show car.
Thanks for the input, that's something fresh.

holy shit, that Cuda looks sweeeet :D

The Cuda , sweet lookin Josefin who painted her own shoebox, the Challenger , the Road Runner, ChevyII, the big Buick lowrider, the nasty looking gasser, and Granny and Gramp's DKW 1939, way cool bunch of people.

And about the infinity mirror tail lights, they are cool BUT I dont think they would be legal.

I got in an argument with a sheriff about seat belts in a 70 Buick Skylark (they weren't necessary at that point in time, thus they were on my bench). I told her that in 70 they weren't standard equipment, thus (Washington law) the law states that you only have to use the equipment that's there. She couldn't find the law (I knew, but why would I talk myself into a ticket) and had to "give me a warning" "for what" I queried, she stammered and told me to go - I went.

In short, honestly, how many police officers know what candle power your lights must be for your tail lights? if they work, even the most persnickety of cops won't look twice at it.

For me, nothing as imaginative or original as I've seen here, I opted to install 68 tail lights on my 70. This involved buying a 68 rear wiring harness so to avoid Bubba grafting of 68 tail lights into the previous 70 harness. With the 68 tail lights, I had to install 68 backup lights ($$$$) also. The 68 taillights give you 4 lamps lite up when you put on the brakes, as compared to 2 lamps.