Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old Today, 12:32 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Regarding the transmission crossmember, I always disliked the visual nature of it hanging down below the level of the rocker panels. Several years back I kicked around the idea of buying an extra set of panels and slicing them lengthwise, and then adding 2-3" of material in the slice area to hide the crossmember. To see if the thicker look was "acceptable" I cut out some panels from some Lexan I had laying around, and then painted them black. I personally like this look better than the stock rocker look, and, when time permits, I'd like to do some wool tuft measurements to see if this lower panel (skirt) helps reduce air entering under the car from outside.
I don't like the look of the crossmember hanging down either. At the very least GM could have angled it up so that it was flush with the bottom of the frame side rails.

Do you have any pictures of what you did?
Yeah, I got as far as uploading it to VM, but I'm doing something wrong trying to get it onto this post. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: Oh, there it is. I thinned out the crossmember arms to allow me to run the bellypan further back at the same height as the pinion bracket crossmember.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002222.JPG (404.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by 69427; Today at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Just confused here.
Old Today, 11:01 AM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (262)

So you did modify the crossmember to remove the part that hangs down.

I was thinking you added material to the bottom of the rocker panels to hide it. Any pictures of that?

I inserted the picture in your post. To do it easy, go to "my images" and copy the text in the "BB Code IMG" and insert it in the post. You can insert pictures hosted here at any website.
Old Today, 12:27 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (58)

This guy has some interesting fab videos. I liked his floor work. Way better than anything l could do.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

I like the cross member mod.

Last edited by rtj; Today at 01:00 PM..
Old Today, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
So you did modify the crossmember to remove the part that hangs down. Yeah, that's the old steel crossmember I narrowed heightwise. I eventually replaced that crossmember with a lighter aluminum piece of reasonably similar shape.

I was thinking you added material to the bottom of the rocker panels to hide it. Any pictures of that? Before I went to all the work of sectioning and 'glassing in additional material in the stock type rocker panels to drop the lower edge a couple inches, I just did a quick cut (and paint) of some Lexan sheet I had, to see if I liked the lower look. I do, and the Lexan looks fine enough for my present needs.

I inserted the picture in your post. To do it easy, go to "my images" and copy the text in the "BB Code IMG" and insert it in the post. You can insert pictures hosted here at any website.
Thanks for the help with the picture. (We'll see if I need help once again with this post.)

Hot damn! It worked. (This is just an old picture from a sequence I had to send to my insurance company to get them to understand why my 50 year old Chevy is worth more than $500 if it was stolen.)

The rocker appearance is not NCRS compliant, but I like the proportions better than the stock rocker, and so far no one at any of my track days has mentioned any objection to my alteration here.
Old Today, 03:43 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (639)

THAT'S NICE!

Guess it also qualifies as a side skirt too. Did you have the belly pan on at that point or when you took it off kept the rocker?

Is that the rattle can Lexan? Lexan is what Jim Hall used on the 2J (sucker-car) side skirts.

Cheers - Jim
Old Today, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
THAT'S NICE!

Guess it also qualifies as a side skirt too. Did you have the belly pan on at that point or when you took it off kept the rocker? I had both the rocker "skirt" and the bellypan for a while, but kept these rockers after I pulled off the pan material aft of the engine.

Is that the rattle can Lexan? Lexan is what Jim Hall used on the 2J (sucker-car) side skirts.

Cheers - Jim
That's the rattle can Lexan. You can beat on or bend this stuff pretty roughly, "and it keeps on ticking". After being impressed with this stuff I bought some more of this for my front pan material (Makrolon brand this time).

Hall's 2J car was the first time I ever heard of Lexan. When I was a kid I was a big fan of his earlier 2E car. While the 2J certainly was "groundbreaking", its older sister was better looking (and sounding! ).