Cheap speed density ECU

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
What would be a reasonably priced speed density MPFI ECU? I don't want a megasquirt. The XFI and Big Stuff units are nice but spendy. Looking for something for use with the individual runner manifold I have.

I won't be needing half the features that the XFI units have.

What would be a reasonably priced speed density MPFI ECU? I don't want a megasquirt. The XFI and Big Stuff units are nice but spendy. Looking for something for use with the individual runner manifold I have.

I have several factory GM 1227730 units, and I can pull some junkyard harness connectors for it,....it's batch fire.....and I have about5-6 of them more than necessary so you welcome to it....gotta go on a clear day...can do this week.....

:shocking:

Marck, for my money, I would take a look at the Accel Thruster ECU. It lists for ~$999 and you can get it even cheaper if you know someone who can get jobber price. :wink: That also gets you the wire harness, HEGO, and software needed to do all the tuning you probably need for your basic application. It can also be upgraded to a Gen VII if additional capability is needed later. For wideband just add ~$175 for a UEGO LC-1. The required sensor package can be bought for under $80 new. I know this comment will stir some chit, :stirpot: but the older GM ECU's are more trouble than they are worth. You will spend more money upgrading that old technology to an acceptable capability and still won't have what the Thruster has. I also agree with your Megasquirt position.:withstupid: So you already have the intake, fuel rails and Throttle body?????

Bullshark

The MegaSquirt is not for me. After having clowned around with OEM ECUs I want to use something that's ready to go without any hassles. It's not my main project so I can't invest a lot of time in it. The accell sounds like a good idea.

Gene, thanks for the offer but I'll need more flexibility than the oem ecu offers.

Bullshark, yes I have the manifold & fuel rails and such:
5480fd0a7ec99c.jpg

What is so dreadfully wrong with ms ?

For ME, it was the fact the thing has a serial D connector on the one I had, and trying to find a laptop these daze with a D connector on it is very hard, as the latptop also needs to send and receive files, the only way to do that effectively is on a CDWR or a USB thumb drive.....

me not being very good at file transferrs and crap was totally unable to send what tables that APPEARED to be saved on one of the early laptops I got, and send it so someone who knew WTF they were looking at....

the very BEST I could get the engine to run was very roughly, untill it hit warmup temp, then it would instantly die and refuse to restart...something in the tables,....something in the computer?? never did know....

I ran through some 3 laptops, and one my son tried with while he was here then, but he needed it, and took it with him....HE was able to read the floppy disks for some reason, but 3 PC frames could NOT.....so go figger....

SO I gave up after about 2 months of efforts, and ditched it....went back to the stock system, found out the largest problems was in FACT.....dirty fuel injectors....one can of TECHRON in each of 2 tanks full and it smoothed right out....every once in a while it gets rough again, but mostly it's smooth as silk.....

I sold the MS unit to someone on here, but I get two helpful handles mixed up...can't keep straight who is who on account of very similar....BBshark, and Bullshark??? been over a year now....

too boot the thing came supposedly loaded with a program that SHOULD have ran the engine.....

SO, IMO, IF you are a ace computer operator, I am not, you maybe able to fine tune it just the way you want.....

but when finding out it was another 200 bux for a heated wide band O2 sensor, just to play with it further, I wanted the friggin car on the ROAD, not kicking my ass in the garage.....it's a DRIVER, FIRST, a TOY second....

:crylol::mad::bonkers::flash:

I'm having the old laptop with com communicating with it now. It's pretty easy once you get used to it.

Fine, but I didn't know WTF files or where to go or what I was looking at....

supposedly the thing could self learn IF used with a wide band O2 sensor...but it ran so poorly, I doubt there is anything could be done with it under those circumstances, I voted the project a abject failure, and shut it down rather than spend another 200 bux on top of what I spent allready, let alone time to wait for parts, etc.....every damn thing what went rong, was about a day's time to get support....

:phone::eek::gurney:

If you were having bad injectors or other hardware, that could be a reason also. You gotta make sure everything is ok before starting with the ecu

If you were having bad injectors or other hardware, that could be a reason also. You gotta make sure everything is ok before starting with the ecu

TT, I sold it off to one of the two fellows who tried to help me, can't remember the handle....

looking back I can honestly say it would have made no differance IF the MS was working fine....it would NOT have cured my pesky shitty intermittant idle problem, I had a battle royal with that car over this issue for several years, time, money, fatique, entered into it....and sometimes it would run perfectly...only to go back to it's old crappy stumble idle and more misses than a Jr high prom....I would have thought that with all this 'chemistry' they doing with gasolines for FI cars these daze, that injector cleaner was another snake oil.....but I was desparate about 5? months ago, and everyone said do it....so I figgered I"d give it a shot, did everything else under the freeking SUN, so why not.....

:suicide::crutches:

What did you end up doing with it?

He sold it to me. I still have it. It was a $200 educational opportunity for me. I was able to learn all its strengths and weaknesses and can honestly claim a working knowledge. It is an option for someone who wants to learn the technology from the ground up but it is not anywhere near on a par with Accel, Fast, Bigstuff etc. Definitely an economical approach if you don't count your time. Much easier for me with my electrical engineering background. If anyone wants it I will sell it for exactly what Gene charged me. $200 plus shipping.

Bullshark

At more than twice the cost of the ms it better be really good.

Well, that's the whole damn thing.....U C the factories make millions of these plumbing and distribution setups....so cost per unit, used is cheeeeep....

aftermarket sells maybe a thousand a year IF THAT.....per brand, but tehre are what?? 10 brands fighting over that minescule market......

I feel the mechanicals are cheep enough, so it's down to electronics....

which thanks to CHINA is/are cheeeep as can be allready.....

the hang up is programming....everyone knows how to programme a GM chip/cal pack for 150 bux/shot, including backup changes....

now compare that to my experiences with aftermarket crap, and all the simple 4 U /someone dot .commmmmm problems, and well, without just the right shit, nothing works.....takes someone who really knows stuff to fix it.....

even my wife's computer had some stupid thing with Outlook last week, would not work/send files....receive worked fine....office work, needed it really badly, changing addy's and shifting crap through another email account wasn't getting it, not for HER work volume....so I took it to the local geek we bought it from 2 years ago...he had NO GO....

called the guy I bought a laptop and a desktop from early last year for the MS project....he is an engineer for starters....and a 50 y/o UBER GEEK....so he stops by, and in about 10 seconds.....literally, TEN seconds, he got it fixed......we hammered out heads for over a WEEK on it, and the other guys said he coulnd't fix it......

certain shit I can work on well, and other shit NOT....

:fishing: