Funniest thing you've seen someone do working on a car.

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
I have several of these stories but let's see how the thread goes.

A quick one: Years ago I used to do a lot of HPDE stuff with the SCCA. As you might imagine there were quite a few Mustangs out there. One guy who had been doing this for a few years was upgrading his entire suspension, going from the factory GT stuff to full coil overs and competition sway bars. This young guy heard this and made a deal to buy the take off sway bars. He showed up at the next even all excited because he got the new bars mounted on his car. I noticed people looking at his car and some were rolling their eyes and some were laughing. Curiousity got the best of me so I went over to take a peak. I bend down and see that he "mounted" the other bars by zip-tying them to the factory bar.
He didn't pass tech.

Buddy of mine was changing valve cover gaskets on his mopar. I saw him grab my mapp torch, a hammer and a crowbar so I asked him.. WTF is up. He said 1 cover was stuck. I asked if he removed all 5 bolts. He said yes, I counted...he had 9 LOL

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I didn't see this happen but I saw the results. A guy I worked with shows up with a couple of fingers on one hand taped up and two or three finger tips on the other hand taped. As I walk past I heard him explaining to some people what happened.

Long sory short, this idiot was removing the battery cables from the starter without removing tem from the battery. His wedding ring crossed the terminals and toasted his finger. His first reaction was to grab the ring with the other hand......

This guy was an accident machine. I can't imagine he is still alive.

I didn't see this happen but I saw the results. A guy I worked with shows up with a couple of fingers on one hand taped up and two or three finger tips on the other hand taped. As I walk past I heard him explaining to some people what happened.

Long sory short, this idiot was removing the battery cables from the starter without removing tem from the battery. His wedding ring crossed the terminals and toasted his finger. His first reaction was to grab the ring with the other hand......

Few years ago I was changing #1 plug on the L98 engine in the vette, with no alt out stud cover in place...sure enough my watch band got hung up on that and ground.....heated up to fry permanent burn marks on my left arm....in the exact pattern of a Speidel Twist O Flex worn up higher because the band lost tension, so the marks are ~3" above the tan line.....

Scarred but not shaken.....

:crap::twitch::bounce:

Surely Jeff/B2B can attest to this, NO ONE is permitted to stand/BE on the lower story of any framing nailer, because if the guy above misses the joist

the nail can KILL the guy beneath....I'M told it has happened....

I can assure they fire a nail from my house to the back yard fence with no problem.....

:crap:

Guy at work duck taped his entire front bumper....not just where it was busted....THE ENTIRE FRONT BUMPER.

Surely Jeff/B2B can attest to this, NO ONE is permitted to stand/BE on the lower story of any framing nailer, because if the guy above misses the joist

I can assure they fire a nail from my house to the back yard fence with no problem.....

Never ever hold the back of the 2x4 while shooting either. I pinned two fingers together with a nail last summer.:nuts:

Few years ago I was changing #1 plug on the L98 engine in the vette, with no alt out stud cover in place...sure enough my watch band got hung up on that and ground.....heated up to fry permanent burn marks on my left arm....in the exact pattern of a Speidel Twist O Flex worn up higher because the band lost tension, so the marks are ~3" above the tan line.....

Scarred but not shaken.....

:crap::twitch::bounce:
Boy that sounds like what I did back in 81, I was fiddling with something on my 440 Chrysler motor in the 34 Plymouth and my watch on my left hand hit the alt hot lead. To this day I still have a mark where the 1/4 inch hole in the wrist finally scabbed over.
5128988817_6.gif

Never ever hold the back of the 2x4 while shooting either. I pinned two fingers together with a nail last summer.:nuts:

:crap::hissyfit::cussing: Bet THAT hurt!!!

:crap::hissyfit::cussing: Bet THAT hurt!!!

I got off easy learning that lesson. No bone damage. :quote:

405039787e32a0e.jpg

405039787e8ac1d.jpg

405039787ecda5b.jpg

405039787f2108e.jpg

Saw someone post this online....

Last edited:
Friend of mine spent the weekend installing a new high rise intake manifold, carb & aircleaner with velocity stack. Running good, shit-eatin' grin on his face, ready for a test drive, he slams the hood shut.
Ooops!
Luckily, he only bent the air cleaner and the dent in the hood made a perfect location reference for cutting a hole for the new scoop..........

I know this one guy who spent a lot of time and money to rebuild the engine in his car, then when he took it for a test drive, he didn't set the timing correctly. It stalled out and trying to do the roll and pop the clutch thing, the car caught his leg and ran over him. :crutches: :gurney: :blush:

I know this one guy who spent a lot of time and money to rebuild the engine in his car, then when he took it for a test drive, he didn't set the timing correctly. It stalled out and trying to do the roll and pop the clutch thing, the car caught his leg and ran over him. :crutches: :gurney: :blush:

I damn nearly had that rear tire on this shark over my right foot in the garage, trying to nudge it forward a few inches.....my little toesies protested FAR more than for their size.....:crap:

Hmmm...And that guy would be.....?
Man, there but for the grace of god have been I. I hope it's better and not messing with you too much.

(One of my little 'errors' was/is kind of humorous---Smashed my thumb bad with a brand new 24 oz. waffle head Estwing framing hammer sinking a 16p nail. A stunning blonde walked by just as I was starting my swing. That was over 30 years ago, and my thumb since & still jinks & pops and I'll always remember her--)

Hmmm...And that guy would be.....?
Man, there but for the grace of god have been I. I hope it's better and not messing with you too much.

(One of my little 'errors' was/is kind of humorous---Smashed my thumb bad with a brand new 24 oz. waffle head Estwing framing hammer sinking a 16p nail. A stunning blonde walked by just as I was starting my swing. That was over 30 years ago, and my thumb since & still jinks & pops and I'll always remember her--)

:hissyfit: BEST LAUGH OF THE DAY.....even Linda smirked over that one....saying 'pay better attention to your WORK'......

Estwing, is that the blue one?? or Plumb?? I have a blue one worn the waffle flat smooth almost....

:club:

I did the same thing but not being nearly as macho as you i only had the car rolling 2-3 mph and only ended up with a surface scrape.

YEars ago, I had the heads off of a 331 Ford truck (F-750- big truck with a trash compactor). Cleaning the block with a scraper and razor blade getting ready to put the heads back on-setting up on the inner fender with my feet on the frame rail- needed to turn the engine over a bit to keep cleaning- shop owner reached in, truned the key to "bump" the engine over- the fuel pump shot a great (as in good) stream of gas out of the fuel line and it was instant flames everywhere. I couldn't get my feet unwrapped from the exhaust manifolds to get out of there. The shop owner grabbed the closest thing he could find to smother the flames- MY work coat. IT was at least 90% nylon- instantly became a gooey little ball. Great time too.

Almost as much fun as the day I was under a tandem axle dump truck pulling the rear differential and the air hose broke. Damn thing like to beat me to death. Everytime I'd try to grab it, it wasn't there anymore.

And I have the watchband burn scar too. Had to use cutters to get it off. Band only burned me in one place, but welded all of the links together.