All car projects on hold for summer 2014

MYBAD79

Just bought a new house.... Comes with a huge 40x50 garage and a pool.... Going to have to put a lot of work into this but it's going to be worth the effort..... 2200sqf house, 2000sqf shop space, pool, trees and 2.5 acres..... Won't be doing a whole lot with cars in 2014 but next year I should have the shop up to "standard" :lol:
The garage doors are 16' wide as far as I can tell.....

:smash::smash::smash:

b7175e328912c1637c0521ae0461684e_zps8186fb0c.jpg
d43070b28d0dbc3afa69f14c0d538b6e_zps926f52d0.jpg

Just bought a new house.... Comes with a huge 40x50 garage and a pool.... Going to have to put a lot of work into this but it's going to be worth the effort..... 2200sqf house, 2000sqf shop space, pool, trees and 2.5 acres..... Won't be doing a whole lot with cars in 2014 but next year I should have the shop up to "standard" :lol:
The garage doors are 16' wide as far as I can tell.....

:

Where in Florida can you get residential properties like this? I think that if you have N cars you want to park in a garage, you should have at least N+1 garage parking places.

10 min east of Orlando.... House is block construction, built in 1975..... Garage was built in 2000 or so.....

Nice. I had a shop built last year, it is great. You will have a a lot of room in a 40x50'. You saved a lot of money finding a place with an existing shop.

NICE find man.....it looks like the pool is in front, and the garage is to driver over grass/dirt to get in/out the garage.....makes me wonder why?? some nitwit greener have some sort of drainage/soil/swamp issue??? BTW, hope you have decent drainage, I would hope you looked at the streets/water run off drains so to see that your lot don't flood....there is a REASON I bought on a hill about 30' above the swamp/river level......

but the construction is fine, just to watch out for anything in that era, in that the house wiring is/MAY BE ALUMINUM and so ALL the insurance companies get really shitty about that crap.....I have rewired about 70% of my house since buying it, including new Service Entrance Panel, and all the heavy shit is copper, but they still paranoid over this OEM aluminum wiring.....just a word of caution man.....so I have maybe 3 bedrooms and nothing else running on aluminum wiring....ALL else is heavy up copper....

:eek::smash::surrender::smash::smash::thumbs:

Gene, yes I have to get the house re-wired incl the breaker boxes .... I'm estimating 3-4K to get this done, has to happen within 60 days of closing .... Otherwise no insurance, no mortgage .... Needs a new AC too ....

Gene, yes I have to get the house re-wired incl the breaker boxes .... I'm estimating 3-4K to get this done, has to happen within 60 days of closing .... Otherwise no insurance, no mortgage .... Needs a new AC too ....

Might want to make a priority of the AC.

Looks like a great place. Congrats!

Thanks, it's going to be a bit of work but when it's done it's going to awesome......
I have to get the wiring done so that the insurance guys stop bitching...... So that's going to be #1 on the list. I'll have to get estimates and see how much this is going to cost, could be anywhere from 3-5K.......

I still keep the house I'm living in now so if it takes me a few months to get the new house ready to move in that's not a problem.....

NICE find man.....it looks like the pool is in front, and the garage is to driver over grass/dirt to get in/out the garage.....makes me wonder why?? some nitwit greener have some sort of drainage/soil/swamp issue??? BTW, hope you have decent drainage, I would hope you looked at the streets/water run off drains so to see that your lot don't flood....there is a REASON I bought on a hill about 30' above the swamp/river level......

but the construction is fine, just to watch out for anything in that era, in that the house wiring is/MAY BE ALUMINUM and so ALL the insurance companies get really shitty about that crap.....I have rewired about 70% of my house since buying it, including new Service Entrance Panel, and all the heavy shit is copper, but they still paranoid over this OEM aluminum wiring.....just a word of caution man.....so I have maybe 3 bedrooms and nothing else running on aluminum wiring....ALL else is heavy up copper....

:eek::smash::surrender::smash::smash::thumbs:

What with cost of copper wiring these daze, I do hope you can get it done for just 5 grand.....think that shit was imported oil or something.....

OH, looks as if something funky with my 'puter' and the .net went on....oh well....

a/c is optional for move in....BUTTTTTTT......as you know...

a new HVAC system is about ten grand these daze.....guy across the street from me just did his.....some 1800' of house, on slab like mine, and so his new 16 SEER unit with new ducts ran him ten grand.....trick IS, according to modern codes, they needed to run all new RETURN ducts from ALL the room ceilings into a return plenum.....so that when closing bedroom doors at night the system don't suffer from return problems on the suction side.....I would have thought that the houses I seen with just an opening above the bedroom doors would have been fine, but apparently they changed code again, and have to replace the ducts.....damn if I in fact know these days...but check with Noonie///010752? on that one.....he still active in the trades.....

Best of luck man, nice joint.....looks similar to what my son wants out in CA. up in the mountains.....:smash::surrender:

What with cost of copper wiring these daze, I do hope you can get it done for just 5 grand.....think that shit was imported oil or something.....

OH, looks as if something funky with my 'puter' and the .net went on....oh well....

a/c is optional for move in....BUTTTTTTT......as you know...

a new HVAC system is about ten grand these daze.....guy across the street from me just did his.....some 1800' of house, on slab like mine, and so his new 16 SEER unit with new ducts ran him ten grand.....trick IS, according to modern codes, they needed to run all new RETURN ducts from ALL the room ceilings into a return plenum.....so that when closing bedroom doors at night the system don't suffer from return problems on the suction side.....I would have thought that the houses I seen with just an opening above the bedroom doors would have been fine, but apparently they changed code again, and have to replace the ducts.....damn if I in fact know these days...but check with Noonie///010752? on that one.....he still active in the trades.....

Best of luck man, nice joint.....looks similar to what my son wants out in CA. up in the mountains.....:smash::surrender:

The ducts are fine, maybe add some insulation but that's it..... Need new air handler and outside unit, should be around 5k installed..... 3.5t unit......

I hope the wiring is less than 5k..... We'll see..... But like I said, I am still living in my current house so I have no rush to get it all done within a month or so..... I'll take my time, except the wiring wich is required to get insurance......

Congratulations, Karsten. I was always impressed with how much car stuff you got done in your present garage. Looks like you'll have a bit more elbow room in the new garage. :thumbs:

Someone is going to go shopping for a lift :)

Very nice

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Very nice! I love my new house, but plans (when funds are available) include a pool and a shop building. Fortunately, while I have neighbors on two sides, I also have commercial property on two sides with quite a bit of privacy, while still being in the middle of things. It's not easy to find the better part of an acre right in the middle of town.

Good luck with the rewiring!

Welcome to new homeownership.... Closing is pretty much set for the end of this month..... But homeowner's insurance was a bitch.... I have to replace the wiring quickly , I decided to remove all drywall to save money on the electrician.... Wiring should be much much quicker this way .... On the existing drywall they glued wallpaper to it so scraping and speckling and sanding that crap is no fun either, easier to rip out and replace..... While i'm at it I'll add insulation......
Anybody here done this crap before ??? Any hints ???

Yeah - its a bugger...
One thing to note if you rip the "covering" on the sheet-rock - you're better off replacing it. When I did the master en suite - I pulled all the sheet-rock including ceiling. For the ceiling I put up T&G Advantech, like I did in the garage and 4 other rooms in the house. Then in the bath hung sheet-rock over. Taping was no big deal - but sanding is a bitch - so I hired help to finish.
When we did the guest/office bath, hired the whole job. I couldn't believe they'd rather just cut half height and join boards rather than replace the entire board! Penny wise - pound foolish I thought - but their business.

Pulling the wallboard certainly makes the rewiring much easier. Speaker wires? Cat5? or all Bluetooth and WIFI? Planning 220/240 in the Garage? Electrical sub-panel and maybe a transfer switch for gen-set to run the house?

Have you considered having foam shot in the roof? There is energy credit available and can make significant savings on aircon. For the Garage - you might consider doing that and a ductless aircon unit.

Don't envy your summer projects. We gotta repaint this year - and its cutting into my car-build!

Cheers - Jim