Carlilse

I live somewhat close to carlisle and go every year.......always go to the corvette show and sometimes the spring or fall.

I must say that for the most part it is a waste. $14 a person to get in to start, $5-10 for parking if you dont want to walk far.

And every year you see the same people down there with the same....(I call most of it junk). I am sure anyone who has been there can agree with me its amazing what some of these people try to sell.

There is a reason the same people are always there, prices are too high and stuff is too beat. If you are looking for numbers matching parts, it is a good place to find it and you will pay the extra cost of having numbers match. It is also a good place to find parts that may be missing or damaged badly. A couple of stands sell new stuff, which is great. But alot of stands sell the stock old parts, which are 20-50 years old and show it.

There are a few people that have good prices and you can always tell which ones they are, people are crowded in them and prices are getting relayed back n forth. Busy places!!!

I bought a complete 73 454 big block with all internals, with the best flowing oval port heads casting #353049 for 350.00. Of course the reason it wasnt already sold is because I had to drive from Pa to Maryland to pick it up. But hey, it was nice spending a day in Baltimore Harbor with the wife.

I went down this year with $1000.00. I didnt need anything for my car, just figured I would buy something to make me happy. Well I left with nothing!!!

I almost bought a 1970 chevelle cowl induction hood with working induction flapper. The price was great for $150 but I had no way of getting it home...... yes thats right a chevelle hood at Corvette Carlisle

Every year I say the same thing, I will never go again!! Well fall carlisle is coming up Sept 30- Aug 4 and I will be there. Guess I like getting kicked in the balls when they take my money at the gate.

Living in the DC burbs, it was only a couple hours up there, and so my sis used to live in Shippensburg about 30 miles south off I 81....making overnights easy....
I usually went 4X/year....liked the vette shows best, along with Mopar, because parking was typically on grounds for 5 bux....ten to get in the gate....

I remember my last trip there to the vette show, prior to selling my house the following April...

you see, what happened is a bunch of us guys would van pool up there, maybe 3-5 of us on any given trip, but for some reason I was the only guy going, so I decided to take the '72 vette, just finished the 1st round of basics on the mechanicals....so I went the usual route we took, up some back roads, and rt30 and link up with rt 97? or 94? through a little town called Mt. Holley, maybe springs on the end....anyway, it was a 2 lane road through apple orchards and such, typical trip we do at early AM, get there when gates opened at 8 or whatever....the trip was made in the van, and sometimes me thinking 'what a GREAT trip this would be in the Vette sometime, even with the limited purchasing power/cargo space....
now that road is a bit of a challenge with many pop up/over blind hill crests your can NOT see over, quite frequently there would be a apple cart/trailer spraying the trees from roadside...but leaving no room to pass IF there was oncoming traffic....HAZARD anyone?? so it was never taken very quick in a van full of breadwinners....:surrender:

Well this one morning alone in the vette, I follow the standard road course, and lo and behold this guy in a blue Ford jacked up pickup with some lawnmower tied down in back gets in front of me, so I figger for a long slo ride at 730 in the morning......RONG....that good old farm guy flat fucking FLOORED that thing...and we went on a merry chase.....

over the popups that mower would raise up, I followed about 100 yards behind, so I could see him swerve to avoid anything, which happened once....

we were doing about 80 mph....on a road marked 35-40....

he ran my ass through it for about 4-5 miles, then turned off into some farm road....I suspect he did it for HIS fun as well as mine, he knew that road really good, obviously, and knew where that apple cart was....so I used his knowledge and brakelights for warnings, and turn signal too....

it was the very BEST trip up there EVER, in some 20 years of going....

Hell of a send off, following March I had a contract on the house, spent a month relocating south here on the following May 25th....

:bounce::amazed: