Progress finally!!! And questions on garage door

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
Hi all. Good news!!! Construction has FINALLY started on my new garage. Been waiting on this thing since 2005 when I first moved to New Mexico. I haven't been able to do squat on the Vette, since it's been in storage. Garage is 22 feet wide and 20 feet deep. So I will have plenty of room to move around and store parts and tools. I had to kinda "scrimp" on what the garage has in order to be able to afford it. There is no side door. Only a main door. Also, there are no windows. I specifically DIDN'T want windows because that is a possible source of entry for thieves. Also initially it won't have electricity. I will have that installed as I accumulate more cash. Definitely within the next 6 months.
Now comes the questions...since I have no side door, I will have a manually opening front door with some kind of keyed lock. I don't trust these things for squat. All you need is a puller that threads into the lock slot and you can rip out the lock cylinder in a hearbeat. So here are my questions:

#1 Do they make some kind of device that goes over the lock/handle mechanism to prevet a puller from being used?

#2 Would an electric garage door opener work with my setup (No side door. If the power goes out or the garage door motor fails, would I be able to get in?).

Thanks in advance,
Dep

It may cost less for really good insurance than it would cost to keep them out. As someone pointed out on my shop, all a thief needs is a screw gun to get into my shop (metal building).... that said, I'd suggest they bring a large screw gun, because they'll need something to throw while they're trying to outrun my pit/dane mix when he hears them breaking into his shop :bounce:

Plexiglass windows are safe(r), just put them up higher on the shop.

I also am curious. So you start the motor on your car, it goes up in flame (heaven forbid) and now you're trapped at the back of the shop and you can't get through the flames to the door.... what will you do?

he's the guy on the right (not the floppy-ear'd terrorist that has my yellow lab on the ropes)
P2180009.jpg

Last edited:
Dep I dunno about your construction capabilities, but cutting in a side door is easy.....even my daughter could do it.....:devil:

and so is running a electric line, I would run it underground in a pipe, and push some wires from main house panel with a 50-100 amp breaker in the house and so to a sub panel in the garage, I would think you could DIY on that.... a GDOpener has a pull clip off the 'traveler' so you can open the door ok from INSIDE, or a good thief can do it from outside, grap the pull cable and release it, then lift the door, seen videos on that.....

I have my door wired with a RED LED in my living room wall, tells me from bedrooms/wherever that the door is closed, simple thing to hook up, I used burglar alarm contacts from Radio Shack.....it would be further simple to hook up an alarm if someone tried the door.....

get in touch if you need help....:thumbs:

I have really good insurance. But good insurance doesn't replace the irreplaceable. My tools, my motorcycle, and my Vette took me a long time to get, and even the best isnurance isn't going to be able to replace them if they are stolen. I'd rather prevent the theft in the first place than pay an insurance company a small fortune to insure them and maybe they never get stolen.
I don't own any dogs (I'm not a "dog person"). And my 3 cats would just run away if any weird noise started up. And all a thief has to do is bring a burger laced with rat poison and bye bye doggies.

I don't want windows. Electric lights will do just fine.

Unless my car EXPLODED, I would have plenty of time to exit the garage. The main garage door is open if I am doing anything where fire might be involved.

GENE: I DON'T WANT a side door. That would just be another access point for thieves.;)

Can't run an electric line myself. The garage is too far from the house and at the bottom of a steep hill to do it. They will have to run a line (and install a meter) from the electric pole to the garage. When I lived in Illinois, I had a battery operated motion sensor installed in the garage. It worked great but drove my wife nuts.:bounce: But I will definitely have it installed in this garage. Probably have an alarm installed too.

Mike, where do you live now in Chicago, NM ?? I`m surprised building codes don`t require a service door but I have seen advertised on tv lately a garage door pickerupper that has a battery back up for when the power goes out...I had the metal service door replaced on my garage and it was under a hundred dollars, and you do realize if they want to get in they are gonna get in right?

I have really good insurance. But good insurance doesn't replace the irreplaceable. My tools, my motorcycle, and my Vette took me a long time to get, and even the best isnurance isn't going to be able to replace them if they are stolen. I'd rather prevent the theft in the first place than pay an insurance company a small fortune to insure them and maybe they never get stolen.
I don't own any dogs (I'm not a "dog person"). And my 3 cats would just run away if any weird noise started up. And all a thief has to do is bring a burger laced with rat poison and bye bye doggies.

Unless my car EXPLODED, I would have plenty of time to exit the garage. The main garage door is open if I am doing anything where fire might be involved.

GENE: I DON'T WANT a side door. That would just be another access point for thieves.;)

Can't run an electric line myself. The garage is too far from the house and at the bottom of a steep hill to do it. They will have to run a line (and install a meter) from the electric pole to the garage. When I lived in Illinois, I had a battery operated motion sensor installed in the garage. It worked great but drove my wife nuts.:bounce: But I will definitely have it installed in this garage. Probably have an alarm installed too.

I must sound harsher on the other end of the internet (sorry about that) - wasn't really my intent - I was simply saying protection in several layers. I'm not saying don't do prevention, but my point was if someone wants it bad enough, they'll simply bring a gun while you're there.

A gas tank leak plus a spark was what I was thinking and the reason it jumped to mine - I drained the tank on my C3 (last night) and still ended up with a floor full of gas.... and the fire was going in my stove. Fortunately, nothing happened, however: some good friends - dumb friends, but good nonetheless - used gas to light their fireplace, then took the gas can to the door (didn't want to go outside, it was cold).... they lit the fire... they were lucky, they jumped out their front, plate glass windows to escape. They lost everything.

Anyway, something to consider....

so I'll ask the question - my impression of NM was nothing much ever happened there.... however, it's been decades since I've been there; things must have changed?

Mike, where do you live now in Chicago, NM ?? I`m surprised building codes don`t require a service door but I have seen advertised on tv lately a garage door pickerupper that has a battery back up for when the power goes out...I had the metal service door replaced on my garage and it was under a hundred dollars, and you do realize if they want to get in they are gonna get in right?

I live in New Mexico. Codes out here are very lenient.

Yeah...I know if they want in they will get in. I just want to make it harder than the cheesy lock that will be on there.

I must sound harsher on the other end of the internet (sorry about that) - wasn't really my intent - I was simply saying protection in several layers. I'm not saying don't do prevention, but my point was if someone wants it bad enough, they'll simply bring a gun while you're there.

A gas tank leak plus a spark was what I was thinking and the reason it jumped to mine - I drained the tank on my C3 (last night) and still ended up with a floor full of gas.... and the fire was going in my stove. Fortunately, nothing happened, however: some good friends - dumb friends, but good nonetheless - used gas to light their fireplace, then took the gas can to the door (didn't want to go outside, it was cold).... they lit the fire... they were lucky, they jumped out their front, plate glass windows to escape. They lost everything.

Anyway, something to consider....

so I'll ask the question - my impression of NM was nothing much ever happened there.... however, it's been decades since I've been there; things must have changed?

I live in Silver City. It's a shithole of drug dealers and illegal aliens. We are pretty close to the border, so we get lots of riff-raff. You didn't sound harsh. I probably reacted too much. My bad. I guess I will wait and see what the lock looks like that goes on the door. I checked YouTube and the bad guys can break into an electric garage door in 6 seconds. They just pound a wedge into the middle top of the garage door. Then use a long, thick wire to loop over the emergency release, yank it, and PRESTO...door is opened.
Unfortunately, New Mexico doesn't have a Castle Doctrine law. Otherwise, I'd just blast them with a 12 gauge from my front door. :p

I hate thieves with the hatred that comes from having my work tools stolen... that said, maybe it gave me perspective - nothing I own is worth my life or even the thief's life.

I've seen all sorts of crap on how people have stolen from others - so the multi-layered approach works for me. Locked, secure premises, good camera, big dog, and armed... but in the end, if my life or someone I care about's life isn't at risk; I'll let the insurance company deal with it.... most times I end up with far better than I had before. After all, I can make a car/tool/shop - but no matter how clever I am, I can't create a life - and even thieves have moms.

I hate thieves with the hatred that comes from having my work tools stolen... that said, maybe it gave me perspective - nothing I own is worth my life or even the thief's life.

I've seen all sorts of crap on how people have stolen from others - so the multi-layered approach works for me. Locked, secure premises, good camera, big dog, and armed... but in the end, if my life or someone I care about's life isn't at risk; I'll let the insurance company deal with it.... most times I end up with far better than I had before. After all, I can make a car/tool/shop - but no matter how clever I am, I can't create a life - and even thieves have moms.

I think the thieves 'moms' need have done their JOB and the world would have less to mop UP, the shit is getting SO deep these daze, it's time to start up the CAT machines and clean the streets....

and so I will do a search for a funny story of about 7 years ago....my 2005 Katrina relief trip....from Jax Florida to south Houston Tx for training....next post, it was a reply to another guy just today/recently....you laugh your ass off....

but it's ALL TRUE.......:shocking:

OK I not copy paste all the conversation, but me welder buddy was between gigs and so got hold of this company named Parson Brinkerhoff, they are a sub for FEMA, on the Katrina gig....so we signed on and drove in my work van and his S10 pickup from here to southern Houston Tx in a day, found the Holiday Inn and so got trained for about 2-3 days....then off to a area in east Houston off I 10 and the inner loop where a bunch of claims were filed for Katrina storm damage.....this was about Oct 05 as I recall....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette
I was there for the Katrina gig, and so was ASSigned to the hood for disasster claims....

and so since they were not affected...awarded nothing....
Katrina shouldn't have affected them.

Ike, maybe.

It's not on the best side of town.

Yeh, no shit, I tell you this story quick as possible, but it's kinda long anyway....

John and I went there off the shipping channel after training on the southern side of town at a Holiday Inn for 3 days.....so after classes we sleeping in a Tinseltown theater parking lot, and the Houston PD disturbed us the first night, but we had our official IDs and shit straight as to why we were there, and so they kept a watchful eye over us, but after two nights in the van, using a carry out food joint for bathroom and fresh up, we needed a shower, so we checked into a motel that was painted a hot pink, it was cheep and not far from the inner loop and I 10 near Pleasantville....

SO, during the evening/night we ate our burgers, and so I left the 357 mag locked up in the van, among the tools and road gear, so long about 7 or so there is this little tap on the door, we look out the window, it's a hooker, we just laugh/snicker an sure enough she goes away, we on the cphones setting up next day's work, talking to family, and watching what passed for TV, then at some point we went out to the van and I got the 357 with ammo into the room, loaded the gun....then TWO hooker come knocking much louder on the door, we crack up laughing, this was much closer to 8-9pm.....they go away, and so long about ten the pimp shows up, hammering loudly on the door, door was a POS interior door, not a heavy rated exterior door, so it's flexing pretty good, I"m laying on the mattress from the van, on the floor about 6-8' from the door, so the pimp goes away, and then TWO of them come back long about 10 thirty, John gets on the phone calling 911, and I"m laying there hammer back with hollow points, cops putting John off on the call till he mentions that Geno will drop them both if that door breaks open that I had a 357 hollow point aimed right at them.....THEN the cops got seriously reactive, and a cruiser showed up, we check out under the watchful eyes of the cops, get our money back the next AM, and spent yet another night in the parking lot.....can't win..... :shocking::gurney:

This is ALL dead nutz serious....no bullshit, not one bit....

they come through the door and I had 6 hollow point 357 waiting on their asses, fuck em forever.....:shocking::beer:

You see, we had to finance our own shit for the first TWO WEEKS of the excursion....and after a week of that shit I was tired of it...age 62 and all, they wanted me for my housing expertise in that I have rebuilt many a home for some almost 30 years now.....it sounded like a easy enough gig, but like any job, it's got it's own brand of shit to put up with.....nothing again Parsons Brinkerhoff....just the way it was....

I'm with you Gene. I am WAY to old to "start over". I busted my butt all my life to get what I have. I'm NOT going to just let some meth-head beaner come waltzing into my house and start shopping on all my stuff like he is at Wallyworld. I will blow a hole in him big ehough to put my fist through and then deal with whatever the aftermath requires. If I get sued, so what. That's why I have a nice hefty umbrella policy. What's that saying..."I'm mad as hell and I ain't gonna take it any more"? That's me. :hunter:

You should stick to the bicycle and spandex forum.

I'm with you Gene. I am WAY to old to "start over". I busted my butt all my life to get what I have. I'm NOT going to just let some meth-head beaner come waltzing into my house and start shopping on all my stuff like he is at Wallyworld. I will blow a hole in him big ehough to put my fist through and then deal with whatever the aftermath requires. If I get sued, so what. That's why I have a nice hefty umbrella policy. What's that saying..."I'm mad as hell and I ain't gonna take it any more"? That's me. :hunter:

In the 30 years they lived out on 2 acres, my folks house was broken into 6 times, last go round my mom confronted the bastard while standing in the back hall, all alone, the kid turned and left, he ASSumed no one was home, Mom was ~84 , I dropped my work and went to get the door fixed, my cabinet maker did a GREAT job on fixing that 3 lite, 6 panel door, that made the house 'secure' that night....so many times the folks come back from church on Sunday, and house was cleaned out yet again....I have a dozen sterling teaspoons, missed in one of the cleanouts, thieves got the rest of the set.....

In one of my apartments on the 11th floor of a highrise, they slipped the lock and stole 3 pistols, ONE was recovered....the 29 8 3/8" nickle with Rosewood grips was taken from the box, the box sets empty since then, under my desk in plain site right now....the 19 6" K frame was never seen again either.....

Yeh, I feel the same way....:hunter::club::cussing:

As someone above mentioned, there are garage door openers with battery backup that will cycle the door a few times if the power is out. There are also openers that will connect to wifi so if you're uber-paranoid like me, you can look at your smart phone and verify the door position.

My old man is a super cheap mf'er.. we used to clamp vice grips on the rails of the garage door to prevent them from being opened. Or stick a long screw driver through the rail.. but that won't work for you since you're only planning on one door.

As someone above mentioned, there are garage door openers with battery backup that will cycle the door a few times if the power is out. There are also openers that will connect to wifi so if you're uber-paranoid like me, you can look at your smart phone and verify the door position.

My old man is a super cheap mf'er.. we used to clamp vice grips on the rails of the garage door to prevent them from being opened. Or stick a long screw driver through the rail.. but that won't work for you since you're only planning on one door.

Vice Grips/Screwdriver....olde tyme mamories are refreshed.....

:gurney::drink:

[/quote]

:gurney::drink:[/QUOTE]

you fondly remember vise grips on your nipples? what did you do with the screwdriver? God forgive me for asking...

:gurney::drink:[/QUOTE]

you fondly remember vise grips on your nipples? what did you do with the screwdriver? God forgive me for asking...[/QUOTE]

YOU have an entertaining curiosity about shit, don't you?????

I used to know a few folks who would have entertained any fetish your had.....:ill::loveletter:

Unfortunately, this is not an option for the present door. There is no way to lock it and then get out of the garage.:banghead:

I wondered if there is something I can put over the outside handle to prevent anyone from ripping the lock mechanism out. I thought about something like a steel pipe that slid over it and I can make it so it can't be slipped off.

Electric garage door openers are fairly easy to break into if you have one of those "emergency" ropes to disengage the chain. You just pound a wedge into the middle top part of the door and then loop a long wire around the release mechanism and yank. "Breaking into a garage in 6 seconds"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDw8DOblGB8&playnext=1&list=PL267A3B83C63AE58D&feature=results_video[/ame]

Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to prevent this. You can check on YouTube for all kinds of ways to stop this. And my garage door will NOT have all those nice windows. :)