'84 alternator (17SI) weight?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
While out in the junkyard the other day I thought I found a CS121 alternator. Price was cheap so I took a chance and brought it home. Put it on my trusty HF scale and it weighs about 10.8 pounds. So, it looks like it's actually a CS130 (it seems that Delco stopped stamping the alternator info into the case, and put on some cheap label that seems to dislodge long before the vehicles end up in the junkyards), given the sketchy info I have that CS121 models weigh 8.9 pounds. So, WTH, maybe I'll put it on the '84. Just so I can do the cost/benefit calculation (or more accurately, the bracket fabrication/weight delta calculation) I'd like to know the weight of the bigass alternator I've got on car at the moment. Anybody have a reasonably accurate weight for this 17SI alternator?

It's not that big of a job to remove the alternator, but I was just hoping for some info while I'm working on other stuff at the moment (namely, cutting and clearancing the bottom of the Toledo Pro hood I bought to clear some of the turbo plumbing).

Thanks,
Mike

EHEH....I got the same 17SI rated at a supposed 108 amps with lifetime Warr. from AZ....exchanged TWICE now, but not for some 7 years now....

as for weight, same as you, would have to take it off the car.....

:quote::harhar:

Well, my curiosity got to me, so I pulled the alternator off. Looks like 13 pounds (and change) on my Walmart scale, compared to 10 pounds and change for the CS130. The stock pulley is larger diameter than the CS130 part, so looks like I'll swap pulleys at the same time (over the winter).

Well, I got the "new" alternator mounted without too much headache. Looks reasonably stock there. Now I just have to make a short adapter wiring harness. The old alternator had two pins to the regulator, but this new alternator has four. So, I guess I need to figure out what the other pins do.

Well, I got the "new" alternator mounted without too much headache. Looks reasonably stock there. Now I just have to make a short adapter wiring harness. The old alternator had two pins to the regulator, but this new alternator has four. So, I guess I need to figure out what the other pins do.

One of the wires on the new reg are same as old reg, and AFAIK the CS130 is wired same as a CS144, and so on the camper, I have the idiot light hooked to the brown wire to that alt......the brown wire is marked L on the new series, I ASSume it is on the CS130 , I know it is on my 144......

:beer:

When I did my 82 to 88 alternator swap, I just bought a alternator pigtail at autozone and it was a 2 wire splice. ground and red and brown left unhooked, then charge wire hooked up. But never hooked up all 4 terminals.

Struck out getting a pigtail at the local parts store so I went junking at a local U-Pullit. Got a used piece for a couple bucks and made my best guess on how to hook it up to the original harness. Shazam, damn thing works, and three pounds off the left front corner.