Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 07-24-2019, 12:54 AM
United States | Fast Pedalphile

My Photos: (1)
Default It never ends

So the 79 has been sitting for a few years and I finally got the engine and trans in and get the car on the road for a test ride. About 3 blocks from the house the trailing arm bushing decided 40 years was enough. Back to the house, order the parts, replace the bushing and shims. Test ride, 1 block from house, fan belt cuts through heater hose - back for repairs. Test ride, starts to rain - wipers won't work - back for repairs, wiper motor is doa. Test ride, opposite side trailing arm bushing takes a dump. Yeah I know - shoulda done it last time. Try to get hood open - really had to struggle, the cable is toast between the latches. It never ends. On the bright side, it runs great and I can't wait to work the gremlins out and get back to enjoying the car.

Resident Deviate
Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Australia | Addict

My Photos: (178)

.On the bright side, it runs great and I can't wait to work the gremlins out and get back to enjoying the car

See ?? Brighter days are ahead !! Well.. normally !
Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 AM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (299)

At least it happens close to home!
Old 07-24-2019, 05:06 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

I know this isn't much "real" help, but there's a lot of us out here who can relate to your experience.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

I bought my '72 in '95 and so most all of the repairs/mods like that were done in the first couple of months.....after that the car has been subject of much modifications and upgrades, so much that NOW there is nothing stock, wheels through roof, stem to stern.....

Old 07-25-2019, 12:13 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (87)

Hell, mine cant even make it out of the garage!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:09 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (0)

You only get to choose 2.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:49 PM

Parts are on the way. Trailing arm bushing repair is this Sunday if all goes well. Next is the heater/vent selector, needs fixing.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:05 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)
Default Wasted afternoon.

Just venting from a crappy afternoon. The car ran well last week during the first test drive of the year. Been curious what the current car weight is after a few additional mods the past couple years, so I decided to take it to a local truck stop to get the car weighed. Backed the car out of the garage (even on a warm day this engine is cold blooded) and into the street, and the engine died. Damn thing wouldn't restart (cranked but no lite off). Well, shit, I'm half sideways on the damn narrow subdivision street, and blocking potential traffic. I'm facing uphill, so I can't get out and push the car back into the driveway, so I just coast a ways downhill backwards and crowd the right side to allow traffic to go by. Now, how to get the damn car up the hill and back into the garage? (Wife's at work, and I don't know many people in this new neighborhood). No brilliant ideas strike me, so I back my Tahoe up to the '69, and hook a short tow strap between them (and then wonder what will happen if the strap broke/slipped). So, I grabbed three large blocks of wood, and put them behind three of the Corvette's tires. I get in the Tahoe and put it in 4WLO, and pull the '69 up the hill for about four feet. I get out and move the blocks back against the vette tires, and then back into the Tahoe for another four foot pull. I repeat this process about 17 times, until I get the Corvette pulled into the driveway. From there I can push it up to the garage door (the weight reduction sure helped out on that part of the chore). Then I hooked up a come-along to the '69 and the far end of the garage lift and pulled the car back up on the lift. A couple hours out of my life, and nothing to show for it.

I had hoped this afternoon to get the F/R axle weights for the car, and then turn the car sideways on the scales to get a L/R weight of the car. With these numbers, and a bit of algebra, I believe I can derive the corner weights.

If the car starts tomorrow, I'll give it another try to get the weight of the car.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Strange, my '71 Buick 350 is hard to start cold and can be difficult but the 'Vette starts with barely a touch of the key. I wish you luck in getting it started and getting it weighed.