Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Old 01-18-2009, 03:39 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)
Default WHat glue to bond front bumper?

im Putting a 73-74 bumper on my car like adam did, and i want to glue it on and use the same method he did.

got my new bumper today!!! got sorda excited and cut my old bumper off. was a pain in the ass to get the honeycomb crap and the reinforcements out.. gotta cut that out still

anyways i went to the body supply store and asked for some smc compatable glue. they had some but the guy said i needed a special gun to apply it. the thing is that gun is 300bucks..

anyway i went to kragen and i believe i found the same type of glue.. only smaller.. is this the right stuff to use?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:46 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

I assume they recommended 3M glue - that stuff does require a special dual cartridge gun that you can find for under $100....

OR... you use Evercoat SMC adhesive, $40 for the QT... comes in a can just like Bondo, does not require a special applicator gun.

Hit the mating surfaces of the bumper and the body with 60 or 80 grit, then insert the bolts, get them all ready with a 1/2" gap between body and bumper,,,, apply the adhesive and bolt it up ... grind the bumper and fender to "feather" the body filler with some fiberglass mat....

wait for Adam to reply to this with a few photos, he did a great job glueing the bumper AND documenting it....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
United States | Addict

i read adam's stuff like a bible everynight

im not sure whether to bold the bumper on or do the corvettefever way.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

the bumper i got does not have mounting holes for hardware, but i probobly will put some in even if i dont use hardware.

seems like the corvettefever way is an easier way of doing, only id be using clamps instead of hardware to hold the bumper on while the glue dries.

still have to make the v thing to fill the gap adam did...
Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Germany | Crew Chief

Use your old bumper as a template for the holes. I do not like the idea of doing it without bolts. First, the bolts don't cost a lot... second, it'll be even stronger than just relying on the glue.... third, I would not want to clean this glue off my vice grips...LOL
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM
United States | Addict

point taken...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Addict

You don't need the gun, push the back of each side of the tube with a scredriver. Pour it on to a piece of cardboard and stir it up.

Make sure to use SMC compatible stuff.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 AM
United States | Charter Member
Founder Bird-Run
Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Cruise-In Bird-Run 2 Veteran

My Photos: (342)

I like that two part Fusor stuff. I'm convinced you could glue a block to a centrifudge with that stuff.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
United States | Addict

I use West System Epoxy with their 403 filler. Better get it right the first time, otherwise break out the hammer and chisel...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
United States | Addict

^^ ya no shit.. i fixed my front left fender since i had accidently got my bumper cought on the curb one day when i parked too close.. i reversed and kinda broke it off its support.. i used that 2part fusion glue stuff.. worked great, fender is nice and stiff.

i lined up the bumper onto the car, FITS PERFECT!!!! i doubt ill need to grind anything else, only thing i had to trim was the bottom section that bolts up to the lower valance, but it was only about an inch on each side and its on the bottom edge under the car so you wont see it. i took a few pics but forgot my camera at home... ill post em as soon as i get home tonight at around 10.

trimmed the honey comb crap to the apropriate size and brought the crash bar with me to work to trim that down since i dont have a grinder wheel at home and i dont want to buy one... kinda broke after all this spending, but its worth it! ive never worked on this car so much, and it feels GOOD!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

Even if it fits perfectly right now, you still need to grind like 2-3" into each part and lay mat and resin across the seam, otherwise it will show. I know for a fact because mine show - hardly noticeable but once you know it's there it drives you nutz...