Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

oh yeah i know.. but i was surprized with the fit
Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 AM
United States | Addict

soo ive been hiding something under that bra of mine...

long story short, i rear ended someone when i was 16, twas a bad day for me... then someone backed up into ME, with a tow hitch.. so its been thru alot..
playing doctor, removed the old nose...

repaired some damage, got the bumper cought on a curb one day when i parked too close and it cracked the section where the bumper bolts to the car

talk about a nice fit...

saved the old section to fill the help make the one that will fill the gap

this is the only thing i need to fix before i can start bonding... im sorda stumped on how to take it out..
Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

OK, you last pix there , funny as that is the exact same spot and same side that happened to me 2.5 years ago, same way even, bent/broke the bumper in half, and bashed in that same spot good and nasty, surprised it didn't mess up the headlight door, you got lucky.....it mess my Eclker's sugar scoop tray but nasty.....

so to fix it, you need pull the 5 mounting bolts from the headlight assy, better remove the hood first....trick to that, get a stick about a yard long, prop up the hood, remove the support latch from the hood, let it flop, pack some blankets/towels around the front of the hood, and between the hood and fenders with a layer of blanket in there....then with the support stick holding the hood open remove the two bottom hinge bolts outta the hood, then the two top ones, as it flops down the blanket will secure it enough....then to get someone help you lift hood outta the way....I"m a fairly tall guy and can do that myself, but my wife can't, .....

get the healight assy outta the way, probably just let it set on the bottom there, then you have to get behind that header bar running behind the glass on that leading edge....I used a 2x4 propped up a bit, with a 6" C clamp to pull that bar and the plastic back straight, try to avoid hammering at all costs....you want to pull it back right in the center of the impact point, what you trying to do is do the opposite of what happened with the impact damage....general body shop theory....when the metal is the same on both sides, as judged by a straight edge, you can rebond/glue the plastic to it....

PIA, but need get that headlight assy outta there, Methinks....

if you take the front bezel off, maybe you can do it with the lights UP, but I doubt it....

Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

Looks good so far. Can you get to the underside of the damaged area when the bumper is off the car ??
I'd try to lay a 2x4 piece of wood across the top and use a C-lamp to force that section "up".... think that might work ??

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 AM
United States | Addict

what i did, temoporarily atleast, was put a few pieces of metal between the crash bar (that i modefied and put back on) to push that section up. i left my c clamps at my friends house so ill try that one 2morro.. i didnt want to do anything permanent because i glassed the missing section part of my bumper today and i want to make sure everthing fits under the bumper (honeycomb and crash bar) before i do anything permanent.

we'll c what 2morro brings..

-Jonny
Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley1978 View Post
what i did, temoporarily atleast, was put a few pieces of metal between the crash bar (that i modefied and put back on) to push that section up. i left my c clamps at my friends house so ill try that one 2morro.. i didnt want to do anything permanent because i glassed the missing section part of my bumper today and i want to make sure everthing fits under the bumper (honeycomb and crash bar) before i do anything permanent.

we'll c what 2morro brings..

-Jonny
Stick a spacer behind the ends of the 2x4 that way you can pull it in the opposite direction and let it spring back to normal.....
Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Addict

That old section that you're using to fill in the gap isn't urethane is it?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
United States | Addict

adam,

it is urethane but im not using it on the car, just a guide ... i havent had time to really test fit the fit of the bumper after i glassed the missing section on... looks kinda funky but i can always add/trim more as needed, i checked it last night really fast in the rain and it seemed like i needed to trim some off the sides.

im back at school now so work time is now limited to weekends and nice weather.. .. if i have enough time ill just go to my friends house on the other side of town and do it there..
Old 01-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

Did you make any progress this weekend ??
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
United States | Addict

some, i only had about 3 hrs to work on it, the gf was bitchin because i didnt take her out to eat right after work.... but anyways

i managed to drill the holes for the bumper, it didnt come with any predrilled holes. sanded down to the glass on the bonding part. also went about a good 3 inches in on the top side of the car.

i still need to sand the sides, havent touched those yet. but i have the glue already, 50 bucks but the guy from the autobody store has seen me there a few times so he gave me a bodyshop discount

im going to work on it thursday for a few hrs after i get back home from school, and hopefully some more on saturday. theres a good chance i might have the bumper glued on by this weekend. i test fitted it with the bolts and after a little trimming it fit pretty good.

ive been ancy to work on it but finding time to do it is difficult, its over at my friends house so i can stay out of the rain, which is ironic because the day i moved it there was the last day it rained and its nothin but clear skys for the next week... but eh.. this way i can work after sundown. ill post my progress thursday.

-Jonny