Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM
United States | SCUMBAG

My Photos: (0)

That's what I was trying to figure out. Which would be the best solution to that problem. Most likely i will apply basecoat, wetsand, then apply the clear to the smooth surface with the metallics or pearls in it. Should only require buffing then, so as not to expose any of the flake. Pearls can be added to the base coat and wetsanded. My thinking is something like this; 3 even coats of base color,wetsand,2 thin coats of clear/metallic,2 coats of clear only and wetsand buff as needed. That should do the trick. that is if i decide to use an enamel clear, never played with it before.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

If you spray it you should not need to wetsand the base. I would think that it sprays just like other enamel or urethane paints, it might run a little more since it will take a lot of thinner and it might take a lot longer to cure since it does not use activactor....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
United States | SCUMBAG

I will hope hard on not having to wet sand the base. Never shot enamel so I don't know how it lays, I may run the hell out of it and have to wetsand.LOL. guy that taught me how to paint used to say " some shoot paint as dry as powder and some run it in the floor, I try to do get somewhere in between those two". He was a funny old man ( a bastard) but funny.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Addict

Don't paint your Corvette with that swingset paint. You can buy real urethane paint with the primer for a few hundred dollars.

If you want to try the rustoleum, try it on your daily driver or some other cheap project. But don't spray it on a Vette.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 PM
United States | Fast Pedalphile

My Photos: (1)

While I do not plan on using Rustoleum I am interested in learning more about your project. Could you post some pics as you go along? I will most likely be stripping, prepping and painting my '79 in the driveway sometime soon.

Resident Deviate
Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
United States | SCUMBAG

be glad to post pics of it. I am looking for a rear bumper cover before i can start on it. anyone got one laying around to donate? I need it for an 81. After that it is a go. My Hood should be here in the next few days. Got the new wheels and roller tires on it the other day and it sure looks sweet. May post a pic of it later as it sits. snakeater
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
be glad to post pics of it. I am looking for a rear bumper cover before i can start on it. anyone got one laying around to donate? I need it for an 81. After that it is a go. My Hood should be here in the next few days. Got the new wheels and roller tires on it the other day and it sure looks sweet. May post a pic of it later as it sits. snakeater
You should know this, since you keep crying about wetsanding. I just sprayed my boat with urethane and my Neon with Rustoleum the day after using the same gun, the Rustoleum makes way more orange peel.

You will most likely need to color sand and buff your entire vette with the Rustoleum.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Rustoleum will work but with very cheap urethane paint on the market (both single stage and base/clear) I wonder why you would use it.... in my opinion, the ONLY reason is if you don't want to spray and use a roller instead. Obviously rolling it will not produce any overspray but wetsanding will be very messy and labor intensive.

You can get single stage urethane paint from Summit for under $100 a gallon, I think it's like $80 plus activator and thinner....maybe $120 shipped...

here's the paint:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Yes, agree.

The $100 you save will definitely go into buying several books of sand paper, a few days of your time, polishing compound and a buffing pad.

Also, the Rustoleum does not thin consistently. And I'll bet your gun shoots like a firehose when you fill the cup up for the 2nd time, unexpectedly, leaving a few nice runs.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

That's the point I was trying to make.... if there was a $800 difference between rustoleum and some cheap single stage paint the by all means yes, go for the rustoleum..... nowadays it's not $800 but maybe $80 difference in the material....
While I appreciate guys taking on a challenge - and I do like the idea of a cheap paintjob boggling some people's minds..... (I just painted my Mustang for under $200) ... if you can get a gallon of paint incl activator for $120 there really isn't much sense in using $50 paint that is meant to be used on your fence..... without activator it'll take a while to fully cure.... Florida sun might help :-)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:47 AM
United States | SCUMBAG

i appreciate the topic of this post being twisted and turned into something that is not even close to the origional post. Obviously reading is also optional. Not once did I ask anyone if this was a good idea, or should I do it, or what do you guys think about painting my car with rustoleum? I simply wanted a little fun and creativity with cheap paint colors. I UNDERSTAND that there are much better ways to paint a car. I OWNED A BODY SHOP! So please for the love of god stop with the 100 reasons why some other paint is a better choice, that's not what I asked. For the last time, I am painting this car with rustoleum because I want to, not because I can't afford to paint it with something else or don't have the skill to do it. I don't care what your opinion is about me doing it, only what color. I plan to park this car with rustoleum next to my 69 firebird in my shop with a 10k paint job, then let the chips fall where they may. This car will be a toy, not a show car, but I am going to do everythig in my power to make the enamel look great, and piss a few people off in the process.