Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)
Default front flares and grilles - louvers -- project finally started

I finally started on my front flare installation. Here are the flares as I received them from Vanacor, these are the 1.5" wide L88 flares for the front to match the 2" wide flares on the rear.... no more mudflap...

These are photos of todays first "test fitting" after I cut the stock '79 fender lip and mudflare off.

The fit is as good as the rear flares, I am actually positively surprised with the quality and fit... like with all fiberglass pieces, some cutting and fitting is required..... it's not a simple 'bolt on' or 'glue on' job.... if you want to get this to fit and look perfect then it takes some work. I have already worked on this for four hours today and I am nowhere near ready for adhesive... and I only did one side so far....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Looks great! I'm looking forward to more pictures as things progress.

(Side note: Karsten, I got the '79 driver's seat mounted in my car the other day. Between the new brackets I welded up and the lighter seat weight I saved about 15 pounds off the car. Now I just need to get the car back on the road to see how comfortable the seat is and if my helmet will still fit under the roof.)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

Made a little progress on the passenger side today. As you can tell by the photos it got dark ... more tomorrow....

Mike, the seat is more comfy than the older style (so I heard)... my only problem with these seats was that there is no headrest, my head would hit the plastic bucket... obviously not an issue if you're wearing a helmet
Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Karsten, that's really gonna look good when your done, it'll balance nicely with the rear...are you going with the same blue paint when youre done, or are you gonna do new paint too?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

more progress... I managed to get the passenger side flare on the fender. This is a lot of work and it is quiet dusty

Glad that I bought these Harbor Freight clamps when they were on sale

both sides are now held in place with self tapping screws. It takes a little more grinding and fitting and then I'll glue them in place.

Is one cartridge 3M 8116 going to be enough for both flares ??
I would hate having to buy another cartridge, this stuff is expensive
Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoroso View Post
...are you going with the same blue paint when youre done, or are you gonna do new paint too?
same blue paint. I have a few repairs on the front bumper so I'll paint the entire front surround. Hopefully the paint matches.... these blue flakes are going to be a pain.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:31 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Quote:
...are you going with the same blue paint when youre done, or are you gonna do new paint too?
same blue paint. I have a few repairs on the front bumper so I'll paint the entire front surround. Hopefully the paint matches.... these blue flakes are going to be a pain.
Blend should be your magic work with this project. Paint only what needs paint on the front surround then blend it in and clear the whole surround. That way you won't have to worry about it matching so much.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

[quote=MYBAD79;79967 same blue paint. I have a few repairs on the front bumper so I'll paint the entire front surround. Hopefully the paint matches.... these blue flakes are going to be a pain.[/QUOTE]

Kinda what I was thinking, those flakes look great, but they're pretty big, I'm sure it'll turn out great, those flares really work!!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Germany | Crew Chief

Quote:

, those flakes look great, but they're pretty big,
well.... back in 2006 I painted the car in the shade and I did not see well enough how much flake I added... i kept spraying another coat with the flakes then covered everything with 4 coats clear.... THEN I got the car out in the sun
Old 02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Quote:

, those flakes look great, but they're pretty big,
well.... back in 2006 I painted the car in the shade and I did not see well enough how much flake I added... i kept spraying another coat with the flakes then covered everything with 4 coats clear.... THEN I got the car out in the sun
so your car has that flakey look to it???