"steam tube"?

keywestjack

I hope I have named it correctly. On my 90 L98 a tube (coolant) runs from the lines into the over flow to the intake manifold. What is the purpose? Thanks, Jack

I hope I have named it correctly. On my 90 L98 a tube (coolant) runs from the lines into the over flow to the intake manifold. What is the purpose? Thanks, Jack

for better circulation in the back of the heads to prevent hot spots that can warp the aluminum heads is my guess.

Some time ago I traced that on a C4 L98 as that line going from the mani to the return/suction line of the water pump....heater core line...t'd in to that....

:shocking:

I think you're tracing the hose to the bottom outlet on the TB right?? LT engine had dedicated hard line steam tubes connecting the back of the heads and then straight to the radiator

I think you're tracing the hose to the bottom outlet on the TB right?? LT engine had dedicated hard line steam tubes connecting the back of the heads and then straight to the radiator

It has been a while, but it well could have gone through that bottom plate to heat the t-body, then on to the water pump suck line....

I presume you mean rad inlet side, not outlet.....

:beer::eek:

He has an L98, not an LT1. The LT1 has a steam pipe, the L98 doesn't

It only has a line running from the manifold to the TB and then from the TB to the radiator pass. side or heater hose (forgot, it's either T-ed to the ehater hose or directly to the rad)

It only has a line running from the manifold to the TB and then from the TB to the radiator pass. side or heater hose (forgot, it's either T-ed to the ehater hose or directly to the rad)

I think he is talking about the hose that goes to the back of the intake manifold right by the EGR tube.

I think he is talking about the hose that goes to the back of the intake manifold right by the EGR tube.

Yes, and it went to a aluminum tube laying on the lifter side of the valve cover, to the t-body, I remember now, then to the suck side of the w/pump.....on the L98 I examined, anyway....now when I went LT1 highly modded manifold on my same L98 engine, I put two aluminum pipes in the back, hose to a T, one hose forward to another T into the suck side of the pump....

I have to suppose the L98 had that extra cooling to keep water flowing better, so I always had it hooked up that way....

:beer:

Thanks guys for the responses. I am not going to remove it but it often gets in the way when I have to remove the distributor. Additionally, I had to replace the factory rubber hose portion as it was cracking and getting ready to leak. With the EGR feed tube gone its not that bad (in the way) much any more. Jack