Vintage racing video. lots of corvettes

just as Peter Klutt had a "special relationship" with the former SVRA race director allowing him build and race a new age cheater car he couldn`t lose in (unless he broke), the Duntov boys out-cheated the cheater, they maintain the cars of the new owner of the SVRA who obviously allows them to run that black "thing" which (under the skin) is a copy of the white w/blue stripes 64 roadster also shown in the video.

Holy crap! Anybody notice the shifter throw of the mustang at about 13:30 in? That's got to be worth about 2 seconds a lap right there.

clutchdust, he should go for the Rat Rod look.

Atlanta has The Mitty every year, well worth the money. I think it was $25.00 for one day, a bargain. I saw every type of car you could imagine. Well there may not have been any F1 cars. Walking the pits are just, WOW! Three days of speed. The vintage cars do 7 lap races all day. grouped at competitive speeds. Laced with a few longer current series events. I saw a British driver in a real GT40 lose it, spun, grabbed a lower gear still rolling backwards into a gravel pit. Spinning his tires forward, throwing gravel all over 3 feet in and coming back out. Passed every car and won his seven lap race.

A nice thing about Road Atlanta? You can drive your car to different points of viewing, here's the gravel area.

5677726835_a5b9175f6d_z.jpg

http://www.roadatlanta.com/event_detail.lasso?-Token.eventfile=ev_mitty.lasso&-Token.id=3

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suSDRFNB8dQ[/ame]

Last edited:
actually seen alot of those cars race at pittsburgh race complex last few years. it was sad this year someone had a porsche there that was a kit car and way way to fast. watched a vette light his tires up going about 80 on the green flag and watched the porsche run from him....:mad:

[/quote]

I think a number of people feel your sadness. Still think they should have documented race history.[/QUOTE]

you would lose half the field and more importantly the entry fees they generate

ya exactly thats why when i was out at mid ohio one of our drivers racing a 75 formula supervee was up against indy light cars....they were like 2003 models with 450 hp... long story short they were twice as fast as anything out there and came with an unlimited budget and 20 sets of tires and could pass our supervee which is usually one of the fastest cars on the track at about an 80 mph speed differential. pittsburgh raceway had that porshe kit car which killed and like a mid 90's vette which was slow but how the hell do you get to race a 90's car in a vintage race?? oh and last rant out at mid ohio in the top group there were 2 audi R8's a 2006 model nascar and then like a 69 camaro (which was insane fast) i just can't get these groups anymore they need to take the vintage part off the race event name if this is going to be how it is.:bullshit:

Damn,
You guys are rough. I think the whole intent is to get as many participants as possible. Yes maybe vintage may be used loosely. However even a 2000 car may not be a current design to race at a real event. The 7 lap races (loosely) for many of these guys just give them some track time to enjoy their cars. Many probably have no business even attempting to push a car. The promoters have to pack cars most times to create a field. I think the intent is to have some clean fun. However some owners are bent on winning. Bringing drivers in acting like their in a points race. Yes there's a danger in this, however the show and I do mean show not race, must go on!

fastcompany2,
I'm from the Akron area originally. Mid Ohio is a beautiful facility isn't it? Seems I do remember it being a bit narrow.
Ralphy

Last edited:
the track and area is great.. much better than what i have here in pittsburgh. and yes you are right about the 7 lap deals and not pushing the cars. but for some of our cars there are rules....and i see that it is b/s to have any rules when you know you are going up against something twice as fast and you have no chance in winning. and we have a mix of drivers some go to the race to have fun and others compete... there is a place in the field for either. i have no issue with guys pushing it like its a point race if they know how to handle their car. most do because if you don't know how to handle it you usually aren't allowed back to the track.

I get your point.

Remember this at Le Mans?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPOkcLeLRU[/ame]

Ralphy

Last edited:
just as Peter Klutt had a "special relationship" with the former SVRA race director allowing him build and race a new age cheater car he couldn`t lose in (unless he broke), the Duntov boys out-cheated the cheater, they maintain the cars of the new owner of the SVRA who obviously allows them to run that black "thing" which (under the skin) is a copy of the white w/blue stripes 64 roadster also shown in the video.

I see where they're bending the spirit of the rules by allowing cars with no previous competition history, but can you be a little more specific on what they're cheating on (ie: what equipment are they running that the older built cars aren't)?

[/quote]

I see where they're bending the spirit of the rules by allowing cars with no previous competition history, but can you be a little more specific on what they're cheating on (ie: what equipment are they running that the older built cars aren't)?[/QUOTE]

Up until Peter Klutt decided to build a Corvette pre 1973 history was required, if you didn`t have it you didn`t race (except for Elkhart where they couldn`t get enough cars so they relaxed the rule and allowed the VSCDA cars to compete), when I was at Elkhart in 2004 Peter approached me in search of a pre 73 SCCA log book so I knew he was building a car. His pal (the former SVRA race director) then did away with the rule all together. the SVRA rules are very specific (you can easily find them on the SVRA site), they say you can not remove or alter the birdcage, on the Klutt car they used part of the cowl section but removed the sides and rear door stanchions, it also appears what they did use has been modified to lower the body down on or over the frame, the rules also state you can`t move suspension points, the VM link below shows where they have been moved, he even went so far as to attach covers over the t-arm front mounting holes so you can`t see that they have been moved up, also look at his roof line, it`s tipped down where a stock bodied car tips up.
http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170&page=2

I have not physically seen the black thing although I did have my chance at Road America in July but being exhausted from the heat (being old and fat didn`t help) I didn`t walk over to see the car so I will reserve my comments until I see the car or some spy shots, the black car is basically a clone of a very fast 63 roadster built in OK, it`s a clone because they didn`t want to pay the original builder to build them a chassis. I can however tell you this, there are a few fast vintage Corvettes from TX they all seem to be point and shoot drivers with 750-800hp motors (from Reher-Morrison, Hans Fuestal or the Lozano brothers), they all appear to drag race from corner to corner while not going all that fast through the corners, (I`m sure those guys would disagree), on the other hand I don`t think any of them have gone as fast at Road America with their big $$ big hp big blocks as I did with my 635hp small block.

As a former employee of Duntov I can assure you that the #38 Black 69 is so outside the rule book what is " legal " you could start dead last 2 laps down and still have a good shot winning .
The rear clip has been raked 3.5 inches and rear flares kicked way out the .
The " 427 " under the hood , It is much more than that . Close to 900 HP
Adjustable rear track bar , Adjustment lever is under the passenger side tonneau . The list could go on all day of what is illegal or unethical .

Granted this is a series where there is no prize money awarded , however in the sprit of racing . I would prefer to win knowing I out drove my competitors , not win by cheating the rules . It is one thing to dance on the gray areas of the rule book and another to just make your own rules .