Peter klutts car

The motor could be sitting in the front seat the SVRA wouldn`t care.....specifically written...you can`t move suspension pickup points (obviously done here), you can`t remove or modify the bird cage (he has none), the windshield is laid back and the roof tipped down.....quite obvious in pics BUT the SVRA measured it and it`s OK......a guy at CF knows him and typed that Klutt said "everyone cheats"....ok, maybe so BUT not like this.....he is getting a free pass on the rules thanks to the SVRA race director...why (past him being a TV personality) is beyond me and everyone else who has asked the same questions.....and the real kicker, until Klutt came along you had to have pre 1973 race history...his car was a burned out street car, as seen on TV..Now just imagine all those guys who paid a premium when they bought their pre 1973 history race cars. I believe "history" used to add about $10K to the value of a race car..more if it raced at Sebring or Daytona.
redvetracr

even funnier, between pissing off quite a few who have elected to stay home or sell their cars and the economy, the biggest race of the year (the KIC, formerly the BRIC) at Road America is down about 140 entries in just a couple of years, they have lost almost half the group 6 field from 2005...serves those greedy bastards right...thats 140 cars at $500 per car.

What is the advantage to the way his spring connects to the arm?

The spring controls the suspension in both bump and rebound, it can not bounce on the bolt. I did the exact same thing with double washers and cushions. The clevis and rod end give it free freedom of movement within the misalignment angle. Basically, it rigidly ties the spring to the suspension without binding or any other influences like bouncing that may compromise the setup.

Klutt is not the first to have it like that, there are pics of a red black C2 built by a nissan GTP engineer (right Howard??) who had the same setup.

I was thinking along these lines, I knew someone (esp TT) could clear it up for me….Thanks

A cushion? The clevis goes through the mounting hole, it's clamped down rigidly, washer on both sides. There's no need for a cushion, and that would defeat the purpose.
A composite spring, especially a dual mounted one has significant advantages, both in anti roll and spring charactersitscs. There's a reason GM used cambered (beaver tail) dual mount springs.

fiberglass_spring.gif

The spring controls the suspension in both bump and rebound, it can not bounce on the bolt. I did the exact same thing with double washers and cushions. The clevis and rod end give it free freedom of movement within the misalignment angle. Basically, it rigidly ties the spring to the suspension without binding or any other influences like bouncing that may compromise the setup.

Klutt is not the first to have it like that, there are pics of a red black C2 built by a nissan GTP engineer (right Howard??) who had the same setup.

correct, the pic above shows that similar setup on a $250K `64 roadster.....although it looks to me like Klutt found a slightly smaller clevis....and you wouldn`t believe what that stuff costs, that clevis (alone) is like $150 EACH!!