Intercooler Install

The only problem with electric fans on the inter-cooler is that they need to be on full-time to be effective. It would be great if you could fab up a scoop.

P.S. Keep the intake tubing to the supercharger as short as possible. Maybe build a fresh air box for it somehow. My dyno testing on my set-up netted a 50 rwhp gain just by removing the bolt-on K&N air filter. (Attached directly to the inlet, no tubing).

Which is why I bought a double air cleaner setup that I have on my car....less pressure drop....more flow to boot it's up and over in front of everything....

;)

I forgot the obvious question, where did you get your supercharger kit from? I particularly notice your brackets that mates the s/c to the engine. Anyhow, notwithstanding comments about inlet air filter locations, intercooler orientation, congratulations for an innovative and creative modification. Wish I could post that I've done the same to my 68.

For Andy Green, of A&A Supercharger in Oxnard, Ca, making the brackets and plates, to mount the supercharger for his C5/6 kits, was the most difficult challenge. If the supercharger is not accurately aligned to the serpentine belt, and if it is not strongly held in place, the serpentine belt will break, fly off, etc.

His supercharger, he calls the turbine blower unit "the head," is attached to the engine block by a plate. The plate in 9/16 inch aluminum. He told me his machine shop that he subcontracts to starts off with a 1 inch thick aluminum plate!! The plate is then ground down to 9/16 and the surfaces are highly parallel. Other parts of the bracket and plate assemblies are obviously highly precision looking pieces...once again all necessary to keep the serpentine belt happy. My A&A supercharger has a Vortec "head," Its a Vortec V2 with Si trim. I think Si trim means the turbine bearings are lubricated with high pressure oil from the LS3 engine oil pump via a 1/4 inch ss braided hose. Return oil flow goes back to the cast aluminum LS3 oil pan. His kits are for C5's or C6's, but they will fit, with not much alteration, any car with a LS2 or LS3 GM engine.

Vortec sells kits for a lot of other older American cars. Apparently Vortec and Andy have a good relationship and they let him do the C5s and C6s.

And that is all hogwash, I have a cartridge maf in mine, it has an internal temp sensor that I can read in the data stream. I have my filter over the headers too and had been thinking about complicated cold air ducting systems and none were pleasing to the eye. So....I set off to actually measure it. I hooked a length of 3" brake duct to the SC and replaced the filter and guess what,...there was little or no difference to the intake air temp. So little that I call it an insignificant difference. This is with my water to air AC and the pump running, so I figured maybe the intercooler is taking out the heat as its supposed to but that will not allow me to test the theory of hot air entering the SC so I turned the pump off and let it run like that, the air temp raises but stabilizes and there is no big diff between where the filter is located either.

Hogwash? A whole industry built around CAI? Guys on the Mustang forum swear it adds 100hp LOL. What may be happening is that under full suck the air is moving so fast it doensn't get a chance to heat that much?

The only problem with electric fans on the inter-cooler is that they need to be on full-time to be effective. It would be great if you could fab up a scoop.

P.S. Keep the intake tubing to the supercharger as short as possible. Maybe build a fresh air box for it somehow. My dyno testing on my set-up netted a 50 rwhp gain just by removing the bolt-on K&N air filter. (Attached directly to the inlet, no tubing).

Just flip the fans on when ready to play. Who drives around in boost all the time?

It's surprising the filter is so restrictive. I wonder if a electronic flapper door could be installed in the tube, or a Y connection or whatever and under boost the door opens allowing unrestricted air (well at least put a screen in). Unless you're a dirt tracker.

under full suck? What do you mean? The cartridge maf reads the air temp directly, as it's related to the mass air flow measurement. It sure as hell is quick enough to measure that.

And whatever people say on forums.. when 1 person says it adds 100HP others will say the same, even if they never tested it.

I tested it, there was no significant change in temperature from CAI or over header air.

Also, Big G. I plan to have the fans on a switch, running full time. Why not? It's not like my intercooler will get too cool... I did fab up a scoop for it, but I didn't like it. Looked stupid, killed my ground clearance.