Note from my son...help!!!

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Hey guys, question I'm not 100 % on for the old truck project.
I'm reading that the SM420 I've got (Dad, I know you think I ought to build an automatic. Some day I will. For now, stick shift.) can be put behind an LS engine with a combination of off the shelf parts.
From what I can tell, GM made clutches with the appropriate center section in 10.4, 11 & 12 inch sizes. My first thought was to try and get the 12" clutch. Now I'm not sure if it will fit on the flywheel properly.

With a 3300 lb truck, cable actuated pivot arm & ~300 horsepower... The 10.4" clutch is going to work just fine, right? I can get a Sachs clutch for $110 or so, the HD unit being $160.

Thoughts?

PS 4.8 liter V8 is on the way from Florida. Bought it tonight. We'll see how it goes. I suspect it will be fun to drive and still pretty cheap for a pickup.

I know nothing about what he talking, anyone help?? thanks...

GENE

What's the current engine, 350?
If so there's a pretty good chance it will bolt up to LSx motor. The truck bell housing tend to be pretty big so an LS clutch will fit in there. I've done it with a 621 bell housing but the truck trans front bearing retainer is too big to usewith a 621.
I suspect the trans is 10 spline. In that case you can buy a GM 05 truck flywheel/clutch, but they're expensive. A more econominal solution would be a sachs 1050 flywheel and an old school 11" 10 spline clutch, ie 69 corvette big block.
You'll also need an LS7 pilot bearing.
A complete set of parts and instructions can be found here:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...c-trans-t10-muncie-richmond-tko-ls-motor.html

What's the current engine, 350?
If so there's a pretty good chance it will bolt up to LSx motor. The truck bell housing tend to be pretty big so an LS clutch will fit in there. I've done it with a 621 bell housing but the truck trans front bearing retainer is too big to usewith a 621.
I suspect the trans is 10 spline. In that case you can buy a GM 05 truck flywheel/clutch, but they're expensive. A more econominal solution would be a sachs 1050 flywheel and an old school 11" 10 spline clutch, ie 69 corvette big block.
You'll also need an LS7 pilot bearing.
A complete set of parts and instructions can be found here:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...c-trans-t10-muncie-richmond-tko-ls-motor.html

Old engine was a antique in line 6......

Sorry, no idea on the bolt pattern of an inline 6. What year, model, motor?

Sorry, no idea on the bolt pattern of an inline 6. What year, model, motor?

I dunno, seems Tom is on his way your previous comment here combined with what he researched, he was quick to act...he is getting a 4.8 LS engine from Florida....strange as I'm here in Florida, but HE is in Berzerkly California....

so you provided enough info for him to pulll the trigger, I dunno jack about all the later LS engines, much less do a stickshift transplant on a 56 chebby pickup....:hissyfit: belonged to his s/o grandfather....

:skeptic:

If it works, have him post on my LS1tech thread.

I am hoping he gets all he is supposed to get from the junkyard operation.....

IF he gets all the electronics and wiring shit, he be fine, if not....it could turn into a wipe out, and me being a olde tyme ET from vacuum tubes yet, would hate to see my kid wimp out and go to a carb on it.....gotta learn that shit from ground up, as in build it yourself....:clap::bomb: