ECM/VSS and ABS, and modifications...

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
This affects me and the vette, I get to that later...but a conversation with my son....'56 chebby pickup and LS 4.8? conversion and need for a VSS signal outta that old tranny....we tossing concepts/ideas around, and so I hit on using a ABS signal from a modern enough disc brake conversion....GREATLY needed because it's CALIFORNIA, which is more vertical than horizontal.....so to grab one of the ABS sensors and feed it into the computer like it was VSS....

so the computer thinks the truck is going X when it's going Y speed, but so what?? it's a old stickshift....anyone know if this idea will work? are the RMS voltages near the same level? I would say yes, but are there other issues??

the other concept was to take a bicycle gear wheel, and fasten it to the backside of the output shaft yoke, use that as a relucter wheel with some cheep pickup from a junkyard on a home made bracket.....it's a 2 piece drive shaft.....so the yoke stays still.....

The computer on the vette will not keep the tranny locked up, what is happening is the scanner says the speed is jumping all around and not steady at all....not like it was before, just jumping say 3-4 mph up and down the scale around the 'real' speed.....at say 50+ mph....

so symptom on my car is, under steady pull, even up hill, tranny is locked by computer, I lift the gas and it unlocks, didn't used to.....put gas on again and it locks immediately....

if I lock it up manually with my console switch, it's locked in all 2-3-4 gears, as per normal....kinda rough on the clutches with the converter locked though....

so what's your thoughts guys???

:hissyfit::gurney::banghead: