I need help...

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
I have this Dodge van with carb problems....wait...just kidding :D

Actually, my 2004 Chevy Silverado pickup has a problem. I replaced the battery today because the clock started to act weird. It would lose it's setting. Okay....the battery MAY NOT have been the problem. But it was the original battery and it was due to crap out anyway. So I put the new Wallyworld battery in and charged it. Up. I was on my way back home from Wallyworld after getting the core refund when I noticed my temp gauge was reading 160. Hmmm...been driving enough that it should show 220. I get home and raise the hood and figure the wire may have gotten jiggled when I took off the battery cables. So I check the connection and then check the gauge. No difference. Gauge still reads 160. So I go in the house and drag out the manual. All it tells is how to replace the sender. Nothing else. So I go back outside and turn on the ignition and the gauge jumps up to 225. Hmmmm...self repairing. :p
So I back into my parking area and the gauge is BACK DOWN to 160!!!! ACK!!! :huh: So I turn the ignition off and on a couple of times and the gauge starts working again. WTF!!! I start the car and this time I WATCH the gauge. After about 30 second it just DROPS down to 160.

So I ask you experts....is it the sending unit or what??? :confused:

Dep

Those things work by a temp. variable resistor grounding. I would suspect the gauge, not the sender.

Dang!! That means a dealer repair. But I haven't messed with anything under the dash :(
I wonder if the clock screwing up might be related somehow?

If I ground the gauge wire at the temp sender connection, shouldn't it bury the needle on the gauge and tell me if the gauge is working? Or would that screw things up on the gauge?

Thanks Jeff!!!! I have the OBDII scanner and will hook it up tomorrow and see if I can get a readout. I wasn't sure if the scanner picked up an error like that. It would be very :cool: if it did. :D

Thanks Jeff!!!! I have the OBDII scanner and will hook it up tomorrow and see if I can get a readout. I wasn't sure if the scanner picked up an error like that. It would be very :cool: if it did. :D
Some vehicles have 2 CTS units. One for the gauge, and one for the ECM (Engine Control Module). The gauge senders are not too expensive, change it first.

I don't think it will. I believe that scanner is a laptop w/program and serial cable to diagnose computer programs. $$$$$$$Not at Autozone.

Mine plugs into a port under the dashboard. I'll give it a try anyway. Can't hurt :)

I'll check and see if there's a second sender. Thanks big_G:thumbs:

with all that village of Skokie pension money pouring in just but a new truck.....or send it to me and I`ll buy a new truck......I`m only about $58K short for my new diesel dually.

with all that village of Skokie pension money pouring in just but a new truck.....or send it to me and I`ll buy a new truck......I`m only about $58K short for my new diesel dually.

My pension money comes from Cook County, IL :D
The dang truck only has 30,000 miles on it. Out here that's not even broken in yet. It's running fine. Just this damn glitchy gauge is giving me problems. :(

That's Dodge there for ya, built in timer. Day after warranty expires the 1st thing goes to sh!t :suicide:

we recently traded my wifes `99 Concorde....we bought it new and from experience I can tell you plenty of stuff went to shit long before that warranty timer went off.....first and last Chrysler for us.

over 3 years have passed :(

Just for your edification, by Fed law, even if your the second owner, emissions equipment such as cats are warrantied for 100,000 miles with no time limit. I had my cats replaced for free, even though a bought my 03 used private party. Just an FYI.

That's Dodge there for ya, built in timer. Day after warranty expires the 1st thing goes to sh!t :suicide:

Oh don't be ragging no Mopar now, damnit....my '85 3/4 ton DODGE window van is on it's 3rd timing chain now, and NO head work 2bbl carb, and once rebuilt 999 Torqueflight tranny....and 300k miles now....still starts, the electricals are of course garbage ONE after some 23 years, ya think?? the thing shows a bit of rust under it, but nothing bad, really....

the POS only gets 10 mpg at 80 mph....but if I cut the cats off and put on a decent muff it maybe do better....gets 12-13 if I back off to 60...which I do NOW....

the thing is basically unstoppable, dreading an wreck though...

the diffy fell out some 15 years ago, replaced it with a POSI 9.25 inch tow car rear 321 ratio, which woke hell out of it on acceleration....regualr traffic light race winner....surprise many a ricer around here....

:D

HOWEVER it IS well known that Chryslers' electricals are a NITEMARE, and certainly this van is no exception....but you know IF I shot a pix of that interior it would put my garage to shame.....far as being a cosmetic WRECK that is.....i'ts ain't pretty, but it works....

CASE CLOSED.....

:stirpot::stirpot::crutches:

Just for your edification, by Fed law, even if your the second owner, emissions equipment such as cats are warrantied for 100,000 miles with no time limit. I had my cats replaced for free, even though a bought my 03 used private party. Just an FYI.

Yep...I had an exhaust sensor replaced for free that got torn off when I went to the dump a few months ago. I hooked up the OBDII today and sure enough it read out EXACTLY what was going on. Just for the heck of it I hit the "reset" button on the scanner. The gauge is working again. I wonder if when I replaced the battery I "confused" the computer and that's what the problem was? I'll post again if it goofs up. Keeping my fingers crossed it's okay.

Dep