Another engine ouch

daveL82

Started the car after putting side pipes on. No mufflers in the tubes yet so didn't run it long.

Went to start the motor later and a thud sound and no more spinning. Investigation found tank wasnt venting so after first run it pushed fuel through the carb into the engine.

Pulled plugs and let the fuel spray out. Just going to let it sit for this week then put plugs in to see if it runs ok. Getting tired of working on it to be honest.

Last edited:
I started fitting the aluminum dash. Once the interior is stripped and all gauges are in paint was next step

I started fitting the aluminum dash. Once the interior is stripped and all gauges are in paint was next step

You'll like this autozone paint, just stir it good filter it into the gun and no pita mixing of stuff. Hell I didn't even primer anything just sanded to 400 and sprayed. How long it will last who knows but just wanted the car to be one matching color.

Put the plugs back in but haven't had time to hook up the plug wires and try starting it.

Would like to fire it up by end of wk to see if it runs smooth and no odd noises

Started the car after putting side pipes on. No mufflers in the tubes yet so didn't run it long.

Went to start the motor later and a thud sound and no more spinning. Investigation found tank wasnt venting so after first run it pushed fuel through the carb into the engine.

Pulled plugs and let the fuel spray out. Just going to let it sit for this week then put plugs in to see if it runs ok. Getting tired of working on it to be honest.

Just a thought, and I may be way off, but are you running a vented gas cap? My '72 came with a non-vented version and I ripped out all the smog stuff. So I will be running a vented cap.

Let me guess, fucking Holley? I swear that 3310 on my car is going to trash my engine. Seems like every other time I start the car a float has sunk or a needle valve has failed. Ok, maybe not that often, but I've had the Holley off that car more than every other engine part in it.

No Holley this time. But I did throw all my Holley stuff in the trash because of issue with stuck needle and seats or leaking gaskets.

The cause this time was my fuck up. Non vented cap and I forgot I plugged the old canister vent line last fall. Never got around to putting a vent in properly. Caused the tank to build up enough pressure so when car was run and then shut off the needle and seat couldn't overcome the pressure.

No Holley this time. But I did throw all my Holley stuff in the trash because of issue with stuck needle and seats or leaking gaskets.

The cause this time was my fuck up. Non vented cap and I forgot I plugged the old canister vent line last fall. Never got around to putting a vent in properly. Caused the tank to build up enough pressure so when car was run and then shut off the needle and seat couldn't overcome the pressure.

:D I called it. :D

Let me guess, fucking Holley? I swear that 3310 on my car is going to trash my engine. Seems like every other time I start the car a float has sunk or a needle valve has failed. Ok, maybe not that often, but I've had the Holley off that car more than every other engine part in it.

Stop buying that cheap gas.:rofl::lol:

Just curioius, but what alternative do you plan on running vs Holley? The Quadracrap? Or an AFB? :confused: :rolleyes:

At least you're dead sure the tank is not leaking :hissyfit::rofl:

Hey denpo from that perspective you're right at least the tank has been tested. Thanks I needed that

DJ I'm running a quadrajet which has performed much better than any of the holleys. FI down the road

Last edited:
Hey denpo from that perspective you're right at least the tank has been tested. Thanks I needed that

DJ I'm running a quadrajet which has performed much better than any of the hollers. FI down the road

To each his own and "your results may vary". ;)

At least you're dead sure the tank is not leaking :hissyfit::rofl:

The tank in my '72 is a replacement, had a GM sticker on it, done by P/O some maybe 25 years ago I have the car since '95 now...the tank had a strange vent valve? I suppose on the top, just visible and to the upper left of the tank opening once the water rubber was removed....that was the source for a fume leak I never could figger out, unless the tank was down to less than 1/2 level....

I have the canister valve failed in the open mode, to the t-body lo pressure induction side....high gas stop valve in position as per stock/normal...that black plastic trick on the left side up top...

since buying a locking gas cap, I have had no further water in tank problems....go figger, so the fumes were cured by epoxy over top of that strange fitting, and I have a VENTED locking chrome gas cap...go figger...

BUT no fumes, even with car setting in the garage fresh driven, or even with sunlight heating the ass end in the setting sun afternoon, house facing directly west.....

You see, I alone never cared about a few fumes, but when wife moved in SHE is the sensitive one.....:eek::rofl:

Stop buying that cheap gas.:rofl::lol:

Just curioius, but what alternative do you plan on running vs Holley? The Quadracrap? Or an AFB? :confused: :rolleyes:
I have a Q-jet I gave $36 for (counting the cost of the rebuild kit) I'm going to try. But either one is just a stepping stone until I can afford a PFI system.

FIRST mod I make on any car with a Quadrajunk is to replace it. Even an AFB is better than that clunker.

FIRST mod I make on any car with a Quadrajunk is to replace it. Even an AFB is better than that clunker.

Today, due to parts and shit, for any carb that is about 25 years outta production by now, it's to be expected you are mostly correct.....

but one exception, always, I happened to have a nearly NEW chebby Qj on my garage wall for some 25 years now, even brought it to Florida with me, and it found a home on my motor home, the SOB runs so good, I leaving it alone, it's a CARTER Qj, with the copper float, and in spite of what LARS says in his papers, it's been fine.....wish I could get better than 8.2 mpg on it, but for a 8000 GVW class C M/H.....maybe I leave it well enough alone, I could put a TPI on it, but have been advised it will not get any better....by several sources..

:cry::hi::clap:

Only QJ-style carb I would use is the Holley spread bore. I'd LOVE to get my hands on the original 850 CFM version with center pivot floats. Very scarce now.

Only QJ-style carb I would use is the Holley spread bore. I'd LOVE to get my hands on the original 850 CFM version with center pivot floats. Very scarce now.

I think I have a Carter AVS on the wall out there....I gotta go look, it maybe a spread bore.....dunno about CFM....but I DO have a Carter 'Strip Kit' in the OEM plastic box....

been a while...

:blush::drink:

I think I have a Carter AVS on the wall out there....I gotta go look, it maybe a spread bore.....dunno about CFM....but I DO have a Carter 'Strip Kit' in the OEM plastic box....

been a while...

:blush::drink:

AVS is off a Mopar (Air Valve Secondary). Not a spread bore. Carter's spread bore is the Thermo Quad.