Obama-Anyone know if this is true?

SmokinBBC

.Only 3 Times...Only 3

In all the years since D-Day, there are only three occasions when the president failed to go to the D-Day Monument that honors the soldiers killed during the Invasion.

The occasions were:

1. Barack Obama 2010

2. Barack Obama 2011

3. Barack Obama 2012

For the past 68 years, all presidents, except Obama, have paid tribute to the fallen soldiers killed on D-Day. This year, instead of honoring the soldiers, he made a campaign trip on Air Force 1 to California to raise funds for his upcoming election campaign.

Sorry, Jeff, Snopes is in the bag for the Chariman here. Check something other than Snopes and you'll find several news reports of him not showing up. FACT.

Is it true that President Barack Obama is the only president who hasn't visited the D-Day Monument on D-Day? An email I received says that over the past 70 years, every president except Obama have paid tribute to the fallen soldiers.

Not true.

In fact, nearly every media outlet documented in text and photos the trip Obama made to Normandy in 2009, when he spoke at the American Cemetery on June 6 during the 65th anniversary of the Allied invasion. He and Michelle Obama also visited an American battlefield museum, laid a wreath in honor of those who died, and talked with U.S. military members and uniformed World War II veterans, according to numerous media reports.

Still, the email intimates that every president except Obama makes a pilgrimage every year to the "D-Day Monument." And, as Snopes.com points out, "if the term 'D-Day Monument' references any of the various monuments, memorials or cemeteries around the sites of the June 6, 1944, Allied landings on the Normandy coast of France, then such visits by U.S. presidents in commemoration of D-Day have been neither a long-established nor a regular occurrence. Those D-Day visits are a fairly recent phenomenon and no president has made more than one."

The presidents have been more likely to visit Normandy during a special anniversary. Ronald Reagan, the first president to visit according to Snopes.com, gave a speech there for the 40th anniversary in 1984. President Bill Clinton visited and spoke on the 50th anniversary in 1994, George W. Bush went there on the 60th anniversary in 2004 and Obama the 65th in 2009. Their speeches are chronicled on YouTube. Bush also spoke at Normandy in 2002, but that was for Memorial Day.

Snopes.com, a nonpartisan website that confirms or debunks rumors and urban legends, notes that there are other memorial sites that could have come under the viral email's purview.

The D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va., opened in 2001, and Bush attended the dedication ceremony on June 6. But he never returned as president, and Obama has not been there on D-Day either.

The National World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C., first received visitors when it opened in 2004 and has never hosted a presidential visit on D-Day.

Snopes.com checked the available White House presidential schedules for June 6 from 2001 through 2012 and found that a president's visit to a D-Day site is the exception rather than the rule. The schedules list no public events connected to D-Day in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2003, or 2002.

Sorry, Jeff, Snopes is in the bag for the Chariman here. Check something other than Snopes and you'll find several news reports of him not showing up. FACT.

I did. It's BS Gary.

So the other news reports I read were BS? :bullshit:

Distorted mud slinging. You cannot show me ONE president that visited a D Day memorial every year.
D Day is not memorial day.

Do you mean to say the three professionally created Emails I receive everyday informing me what this current president does or says and not all true?:crap:

Just remember the South will rise again, at least be Email.:quote:

Well, what I do know is this...unemployment has been over 8% for this presidents entire term. Further, GDP has been misserable during that same period. More over, our federal spending has increased to consume more GDP than an any time in history. We have less people paying federal income tax than ever (payroll tax you get back doesn't count) and more people taking from the government than at anytime in our recent history. The notion that government creates jobs is almost total BS. Almost because it can create government jobs. The problem with using tax money to create jobs is like paying one credit card with another.

I have three questions for Obama supporters.

1) What did he accomplish prior to getting elected that qualified him to be the CEO of the country? I understand he did get elected, but damn....

2) What's he done that's positive since being in office. Before you say Obama care, I agree allowing kids to be on their parents policy until they're old enough to have a family on their own, and allowing pre-existing condition coverage isn't all bad, but it has a price. Further, there are other much more efficient and cost effective ways of providing coverage, reducing cost, and increasing the quality of care. I can do it in a couple paragraphs, I don't need 2700 pages of BS. And for the GM bailout...lots of BS with that. If they'd have filed bankrupcy, they would have restructured and still been in existance, American, United and Continetal Airlines all filed, and they're still flying.

3) What's the plan going forward?

when was the last time any of you who live in the USA stepped over a dead person in the streets? the fact of the matter is people who show up at the hospital get treatment and you and I pay for it in our insurance premiums now. I think the new health care reform laws are way over due.

as for Bedford Va, do you guys know where that is? its in the middle of no where land in south western VA. not exactly a short trip over the Potomac and I think going to France for the real thing is more inportant.

the reality of economics is that George Bushs spending on wars has crippled this country in debt, dont blame that on Obama.

as for Mitt are you guys kidding.....this guys flip flops on every issue there is where is his spine? hes like a sleazy car salesman who will tell you anything you want to hear to seal the deal. I dont begrudge him for being rich but any one who takes a company that employs people and is making a profit and then rips it apart firing the workers to make a quick buck isnt my idea of a good guy. he is one of the barbarians at the gate

and for having money in off shore accounts and over seas financial banks to avoid paying taxes is this your idea of a "stand up guy"

and yes the bail out of GM was a whopping success admit and move on.

one last thing whats the deal with the attack on womens rights? WTF? if you want government to stay out of your life, then have it stay out of womens choices, you cant have it both ways.

funny thing is I am not enrolled in any political party and have voted for presidents from both parties

There's gonna be some boo boo lips when Obama gets reelected.

I honestly think he will, and so the kids will suffer for their stupidity....

much less the professors with their golden retirement plans built on the kid's backs......along with all the rest of those .gov golden plans....

Pay attention to my sig file....i'ts true....I come from 53 years in Wash DC burbs.....

when was the last time any of you who live in the USA stepped over a dead person in the streets? the fact of the matter is people who show up at the hospital get treatment and you and I pay for it in our insurance premiums now. I think the new health care reform laws are way over due.

as for Bedford Va, do you guys know where that is? its in the middle of no where land in south western VA. not exactly a short trip over the Potomac and I think going to France for the real thing is more inportant.

the reality of economics is that George Bushs spending on wars has crippled this country in debt, dont blame that on Obama.

as for Mitt are you guys kidding.....this guys flip flops on every issue there is where is his spine? hes like a sleazy car salesman who will tell you anything you want to hear to seal the deal. I dont begrudge him for being rich but any one who takes a company that employs people and is making a profit and then rips it apart firing the workers to make a quick buck isnt my idea of a good guy. he is one of the barbarians at the gate

and for having money in off shore accounts and over seas financial banks to avoid paying taxes is this your idea of a "stand up guy"

one last thing whats the deal with the attack on womens rights? WTF? if you want government to stay out of your life, then have it stay out of womens choices, you cant have it both ways.

funny thing is I am not enrolled in any political party and have voted for presidents from both parties

Bob, I agree with you on a couple of points, but willing to tear you apart on some others......

I know too much.....but am just flat toooo tired to go much further tonight....if I spot this in the AM, we can have at it....:cussing::clap:

3 cheers for someone who agrees with my point of view. Kudos Bob.

3 cheers for someone who agrees with my point of view. Kudos Bob.

I cant wait to see Genes reply , my guess it will be lengthy.

I feel sorry for you folks that are in for three months of advertisements or should I say propaganda coming your way.
tumblr_m506jg4r3Q1qm6sfao1_500.gif

The South shall rise again............at least by Email!

Last edited: