'99 chebby 1500 pickup

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
5.7 Vortec, auto, crew cab, short bed, not a silverado....

two problems, one I was called for was the alternator puts out very erratically I mess with the single white wire plug and I can get that voltage to jump all OVER the joint from 14.3 down to 12 as in nothing coming out....

Regulator? or plug? or wire??

hope it's not a regulator, 80 y/o Navy retiree friend of my neighbors.....rebuilt alt is 80 bux....new regulator is 35 bux.....

SECOND problem is....some damn redneck got in there and totally fucked the steering, new box is 200 bux new output arm to the cross link is only 25 bux or so....

here is the gig, the guy not doing well at all in the bux dept....

and so I have a quandry, someone been into the steering before, the output arm was SO loose on the steering box output sector gear shaft that it wobbles side to side, took the nut off with my fingers.....and I drove the SOB here following Chuck, my neighbor....slo roads all the way....turn the wheel 1/2 a turn before the thing would change direction....lovely...had NO clue it was that bad, thought it was maybe a idler arm or some such shit.....

SO to find the said redneck had maybe 1/2 the penetration needed on the conical splines of the sector gear, the wear was obvious and lending a taper to both the sector gear shaft, and the what was NEW, output arm .....

so the question is.....get a rebuilt box and cure the fluid leak making the reservoir dry, and a constant problem, or can I replace that seal without tearing apart the entire box?? and then to hammer home that output link on the shaft....in the truct as installed, it's not possible to get the torque....alll I have is a 1/2 Ingersoll impact so if the box was removed yet again, is there any way to get that existing thing to be safe?? I can get the box but that's all fine, so it shouldn't leak any more, problem is getting that output arm on tight enough...much less maybe save the guy 200 bux by reusing the old box, at least....

I know the torque on the nut is something absurd in value....

what say you all guys???:eek::smash:

I tnk u kan $ a nu seal kit @ Rok Arto fo < 20 bux. Not shur I follow wit da sector geer or output arm a-just.

Save money and fix the alt....steering box sounds like it's buggered..your probably doing the guy a bigger favor by replacing the steering box than saving a few bucks on a worn and dangerous unit.

Never mind, Chuck has decided to put in a new box and arm....I have to guess it's the same torque as earlier boxes....

:censored:

The late alternators are a PITA to rebuild. Everything is soldered. I know that's not a real big deal, but the way it's put together leaves zero room. I did one for a 93 Suburban I had. Would have been way easier to go get a rebuilt one. Maybe they changed again after 93?

The late alternators are a PITA to rebuild. Everything is soldered. I know that's not a real big deal, but the way it's put together leaves zero room. I did one for a 93 Suburban I had. Would have been way easier to go get a rebuilt one. Maybe they changed again after 93?

Yeh, I remember my '87 vette, on my 3rd alternator in 3 years I owned it...

and I had to replace the regulator in it once....pisser of a job, :suicide:

99 still have a steering box? my 2001 had R&P Can you get a good box from a boneyard?

Got a rebuilt box from NAPA, in stock at the local store, so was the pitman arm....that tells me something....:smash::surrender:
got lucky on the alt, just a bad plug, the rebuild shop checked it out....

:eek: