Steering column weight

OZgreen69

I am in the process of fitting a quick disconnect for my steering wheel. While at it I weighted the components of the steering column .
thum_39345d4d451995983.jpgthum_39345d4d4519bf066.jpg
As I need to shorten it, I will try to make it lighter too .

I may have to move/replace the ignition switch and turn indicator to the center console, race car hey! Do you remember ! As the weight gain can be substantial !!

Here is some weight in Lbs:
Steering shaft 4.376 Ignition key alloy casing 2.367 Steering wheel hub 1.543 Inner tube 3.086 Outer tube ( black ) 5.621 Steel cowl 0.903

Any one of you have done weight saving on the Steer/column ?

Like these one ?

thum_39345d4f674cb182b.jpgthum_39345d4f674cd87f8.jpg

I am a bit in limbo here. Talked to the Eligibility/Scrutineer Officer for my racing group: the column should stay as per factory fitted.
But nothing said about about mods , another gray area :suspicious: !!
Anyway.. Food for thoughts !

Yeah the cast iron bracket is heavy. I think 69427 found a cast alum one, but I could be wrong. Later seats are lighter too, again detailed in his thread.

Like these one ?

thum_39345d4f674cb182b.jpgthum_39345d4f674cd87f8.jpg

I am a bit in limbo here. Talked to the Eligibility/Scrutineer Officer for my racing group: the column should stay as per factory fitted.
But nothing said about about mods , another gray area :suspicious: !!
Anyway.. Food for thoughts !

A 68 column would be lighter, but you would have to move the key. Also a lot of steel inside the column. Maybe replace with aluminum and still look stock?

Is that a Swiss-made 80-82 column support? :tomato:
Looks like the removed areas were well thought out

Yeah the cast iron bracket is heavy. I think 69427 found a cast alum one, but I could be wrong. Later seats are lighter too, again detailed in his thread.

68-79 were cast iron, Thierry has modified the 80-82 stamped steel (lighter) versions

I'm using the later stamped steel column support. I need to find an old post with the weight of that setup to see if it makes sense to spend time on an aluminum replacement.

OZ, do you have a weight for your lightened bracket?

Yes , I was thinking to make it a la 68 ! Move everything to the center console and gut the inside and use some plastic cowling to hide it.

The weight of the brackets are : the big one 2.42 lbs the small 1.5 lbs
They were 3.30 lbs and 2.16 ish lbs .

Matter of fact, the steel tubes are quite ok ! But the alloy stuff is heavy as !!