Old Project Revitalized - 56 Track Car

What did he charge, if you don't mind if I ask. Was it lighter than chromoly ?

I've bought some yokes from them and they are very nice.

Shaft was about $900, and the quick release yoke was $380 - all balanced as a unit. The 7075 is lighter (thinner but stronger) than the 6061 aluminum and even lighter than the carbon fiber at this length because of the way the ends are bonded. In longer lengths the carbon fiber shafts are lighter as the CF tube itself is lighter per inch than the aluminum. Both are much lighter than the chromoly.

Pappy

Looks good, thanks for the info.

What did he charge, if you don't mind if I ask. Was it lighter than chromoly ?

I've bought some yokes from them and they are very nice.

Shaft was about $900, and the quick release yoke was $380 - all balanced as a unit. The 7075 is lighter (thinner but stronger) than the 6061 aluminum and even lighter than the carbon fiber at this length because of the way the ends are bonded. In longer lengths the carbon fiber shafts are lighter as the CF tube itself is lighter per inch than the aluminum. Both are much lighter than the chromoly.

Pappy

Welding 7075 is a pretty recent development. Your supplier is keeping up on the latest tech there. :thumbs:

Got my Driveshaft from Mark Williams - 7075 aluminum, 18" long. That should give you an idea how far back I moved the motor.

Its only 2" longer than one of my half shafts! It does put the engine setback into perspective :devil:

I needed one more connector between the two halves of the frame X-member for rigidity, to serve as a front driveshaft hoop, and to carry one of the seat bracket mounts. Will weld it in tomorrow.

56 Corvette Front Driveshaft Hoop 2.jpg

56 Corvette Front Driveshaft Hoop 1.jpg56 Corvette Front Driveshaft Hoop 2.jpg56 Corvette Front Driveshaft Hoop 1.jpg

Pappy -

That combo looks sweet.
Any chance on a link?
Which upright - was that a c5/6 I recall - or am I off on that?
I
Progress! Me too soon - if/when the weather holds up - and get the SR back on the track and off my plate.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Pappy -

That combo looks sweet.
Any chance on a link?
Which upright - was that a c5/6 I recall - or am I off on that?

Progress! Me too soon - weather holds up - and get the SR back on the track and off my plate.

Cheers - Jim

Hey Jim,

The front uprights are Speedtech ATS - they use C6 ZR1 hubs/bearings and C6 brakes. The rear is a Detroit Speed Decalink that also uses C6 brakes. The front rotors are 372 mm with CP 9660 calipers and the rears are 340 mm with 9449 calipers. I am using Ferodo Racing pads. A good link is www.essexparts.com

Pappy

I have been AWOL for a while. My password got dumped and I had a lot of trouble resetting it. My most recent progress involves having a set of SS headers built by Ryan Linder of X1 Race Cars. 2 1/4 inch tubes, SPD merge collector. Ryan did a beautiful job. I got the firewall back in the car. I ordered a custom dry sump tank from Peterson Fluid Systems just before they shut down for 6 weeks for coronavirus (Colorado). Now they are a little backed up so it could be a couple of months before I get the tank. I was able to use their engineering drawing to finish the firewall where the tank sits, so the delay did not grind me to a complete halt.

Pappy

Header 13.jpg

Header 17.jpgHeader 13.jpgHeader 17.jpg

Pappy -

Nice shot on the stands. I take it that the exit forward of the rear wheels is exhaust? Nice.

Cheers - Jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks. The exit you asked about is actually the opening for side scoops - kind-of like the C5Z. They feed air to the differential and fuel coolers. There is a photo in post 35, page 4 of this thread.

Pappy

Looks like a wide body C1, that's pretty unique. :thumbs:

Pappy - hope you'll forgive my oversight/forgetfulness - it was over a year ago!!

I am/was thinking of feeding air to my diff cooler via a couple of NACA ducts cut into the underbody. You'll probably get more air from that location.

Cheers - Jim

those headers look so bad ass....

Thank you. The tubes had to be fairly robust - a 13:1, 515 C.I big block with a big cam and heads can push a lot of air. The tube layout is also a little unusual since the motor has an LS firing order. Packaging was a challenge. I am curious to hear what it sounds like through a 3.5 inch exhaust and Magnaflow race mufflers.

Pappy

I don't normally like to post "in the thick of it" construction shots, but I though some of you might be interested in an AiM MXL2 dash/data logger in a 56 Corvette. The firewall is now in with only finish sanding to do - it is all the way back against the roll cage dash bar so I guess I'll stop there. LOL That moves the motor 19" behind its original location.

Pappy

Dash 6.jpg

Dash 5.jpg

Dash 4.jpg

Firewall 1.jpgDash 6.jpgDash 5.jpgDash 4.jpgFirewall 1.jpg