RamJet's Spring Test Drive

Bullshark

Thought I would take RamJet out for a Pre Dam Car show test drive prior to this weekends gathering down at the Lake of the Ozarks. My usual slam it thru the gears test....... failed!! :smash::clobbered::suicide:

17553eccba44205.jpg

17553eccfa44b77.jpg

Im thinking a little JB weld might get me thru the weekend????:hissyfit::crutches:

Thought I would take RamJet out for a Pre Dam Car show test drive prior to this weekends gathering down at the Lake of the Ozarks. My usual slam it thru the gears test....... failed!! :smash::clobbered::suicide:

Im thinking a little JB weld might get me thru the weekend????:hissyfit::crutches:

SHIT!!!! maybe a few hundred bux in parts, PLUS SHIPPING TIME

that bearing was well beyond bearing the loads.....Certainly the shaft is shafted.....

:amazed::twitch:

Gene, actually the bearings were ok prior to the shit hitting the fan. No signs of bearing failure that I could see. The shaft on the other hand :bomb: That was the original spindle.

I was actually pretty lucky the wheel didn't let go and take out the rear quarter panel. I was doing around 45mph under full load and all hell broke loose.:twitch:

Need to look for a good heavy duty spindle. I'm really worried now about the Blue Ange 69 with that all aluminum Dart 546 750hp engine I'm about to have on the road. Always thought those tires I run would act as fuses for this.:bs:

Last edited:
Danny Popp had the same problem after he put in his LS motor.

1264006_10200637445800016_1679216234_o.jpg

The cure. Tom's 30 spline high alloy spindles.

1277155_10200702505786475_1189168660_o.jpg

Gene, actually the bearings were ok prior to the shit hitting the fan. No signs of bearing failure that I could see. The shaft on the other hand :bomb: That was the original spindle.

I was actually pretty lucky the wheel didn't let go and take out the rear quarter panel. I was doing around 45mph under full load and all hell broke loose.:twitch:

Need to look for a good heavy duty spindle. I'm really worried now about the Blue Ange 69 with that all aluminum Dart 546 750hp engine I'm about to have on the road. Always thought those tires I run would act as fuses for this.:bs:

750hp=Toms 12 bolt.

I snapped an oem axle at 5 mph, luckily the tire wedge into the fender flare.

Thanks Howard, but I was in a big hurry to get the job done so I could make it to the Lake of Ozark Dam car show Friday and Saturday. Finished today. :yahoo:
I bucked up and went with a Heavy Duty High Strength Alloy spindle that was available locally. $175. I took my rotor which was slightly scarred when the spindle let go and the new spindle and had them turned together to less than 1/2 thousands runout at a friends machine shop. (Good friend... 0$). Borrowed some real time saving tools from a fellow St. Louis C3 Shark... Owe him big time.

1755418bbab154d.jpg

Bearing setup tool

1755418bbb63ee0.jpg

Spindle bearing assembly install tool

1755418bbb9a20e.jpg

Here is the old spindle end. Obvious twist which resulted in fatigue failure.

1755418bbb2ebba.jpg

Long time ago there was a fellow on one of the forums, who modified his rear axles to be slip fit bearings, so it just fell apart when the big nut comes off....

I think he was a racer to boot.....but can't remember the handle....

said he was doing that for years....

anyone any comments??

Slip fit bearings

Mine are like that. I ordered stub shafts for my car from Guldstrand and they did that. Makes setting preload a piece of cake!
Easy to do if you just go easy on them with emery cloth ribbon while it is chucked in the lathe. Just sneak up on the interference fit.

Long time ago there was a fellow on one of the forums, who modified his rear axles to be slip fit bearings, so it just fell apart when the big nut comes off....

I think he was a racer to boot.....but can't remember the handle....

said he was doing that for years....

anyone any comments??

mine are slip fit, 36 vintage races and no issues

It was pointed out to me that I was damn lucky I didn't have a slip fit or that wheel would have surely left through the rear quarter panel. :smash: