700R4 down shift 2 to 1st bangs hard

BangkokDean

Well now that I have the trans go shift kit installed in my 700R4 trans it does shift better but 1st to 2nd shifts at 10 mph and when coming to a stop the down shift 2nd to first bangs really violently.

I am about to give up on this trans it has turned into a money pit.

Move the kickdown cable one click longer on the cable, maybe 2 clicks at most....

another way to express it would be to move the cable shroud into the square box by pushing in the metal tab on the side, be careful..

another way is to just open the throttle body right at the body, not by the gas pedal.....and force the cable to pull forward when the t-body is at the WOT stops.....
:thumbs:

I know on my installation which was BTO engineered kit for the speed demon I had to change the spring and valve inside the trans case for some reason and replace the lock up solenoid, and actually take one of the solenoids also. did you change this spring and valve?

Move the kickdown cable one click longer on the cable, maybe 2 clicks at most....

another way to express it would be to move the cable shroud into the square box by pushing in the metal tab on the side, be careful..

another way is to just open the throttle body right at the body, not by the gas pedal.....and force the cable to pull forward when the t-body is at the WOT stops.....
:thumbs:
Gene, The TV cable is slightly lose at WOT and at idle the cable has about 3/4 inch of play. I did try what you suggested and I lost passing gear.So I used someone to hold the pedal to the floor and adjusted the TV to be at the fully pull point with just a little loose point. It still hammers in the down shift 2nd to 1st. Plus the 1st to 2nd up shift is a little hard and happens at around 10mph.

I know on my installation which was BTO engineered kit for the speed demon I had to change the spring and valve inside the trans case for some reason and replace the lock up solenoid, and actually take one of the solenoids also. did you change this spring and valve?

The Trans go kit I installed does come with the new spring and valve and they are installed according to trans go video instructions.
Now please let me know what the TV cable and valve does to control the down shifting? I am trying to learn and make educated adjustments, don't want to damage anything.
Thanks guys.

BTW, I may be asking where to buy a replacement trans soon. I have $125,000 in this truck now and still am now happy with the transmission. I am even thinking to adapt a Toyota automatic trans for it. This is the first 700R4 trans I have ever owned and what a pieces of shit it is.

The Trans go kit I installed does come with the new spring and valve and they are installed according to trans go video instructions.
Now please let me know what the TV cable and valve does to control the down shifting? I am trying to learn and make educated adjustments, don't want to damage anything.
Thanks guys.

its been many years since i did this and the car is long gone but if the TV cable isnt adjusted properly it will really screw with shifting. I believe I used a pressure gauge to ensure the TV cable was giving me the proper shift points through all the gears. you actually went out and drove the car and took readings as it shifted to confirm it was set properly. the other thing that the BTO set up had was the adjustable cam linkage for the cable end on the carb that adjusted the feel of the transmission. so in other words the TV cable length was set by the pressure readings and validated and then you could adjust the feel of the trans by the cam linkage which would slightly lengthen or shorten the inside TV cable. do you have a pressure gauge you can put in to the side port of the trans?

this is the articles i used as my methodology for setting up the TV cable

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/

Last edited:
OR... pull the tranny - replace the throttle body with a full manual/reverse throttle body. Voila! :thumbs:

Then, you'd have a clutchless-manual 4 speed. SOme of the throttle bodies retain lock-up and engine braking. Less than $400 - shipping could be a deal beaker I suppose.

Cheers - Jim