LT-5 oil requirements?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Was driving by an auto parts store and got to thinking I should pick up some oil for the '69. Then I got to thinking, which oil (dino or synthetic). The engine is still low mileage, but it's been run hard on some track days so it should be pretty broken in. Was thinking about the whole ZDDP thing on whichever oil I decided on, and how the owners of later engines (with roller lifters) don't have to lose sleep over that, and for whatever reason I got to thinking about the LT-5. AFAIK, there's no rollers in the cam setup so I assume they would need the ZDDP levels too. Or not? What do the guys with OHC engines do regarding oil choices?

(Just curiosity here. No interest in owning one.)

The guy I got Ol' Red from has a 96 Gran Sport. Not sure if that's an LT5, but it came from the factory with Mobil 1.

LT5 is that Mercury Marine DOHC engine, right?? if so it's last production was in '94 as I recall, and only a few hundred at that....

:friends::flash:

Remember, with the DOHC configuration there's a lot less mass in the valve train, lightweight valves and other components. There's no rocker ratio in play either. They don't have to run the stupid high spring pressures of for instance a comp cams XEH cam that's on the ragged edge of what can be safely done w the acceleration ramp profiles on a flat tappet cam w/ the foot surface of our lifters. Larger (mushroom) lifters help, the LT5 has much larger diameter cam followers/valve lifters

just look at the size of these things
InstallingCams.jpg

Was driving by an auto parts store and got to thinking I should pick up some oil for the '69. Then I got to thinking, which oil (dino or synthetic). The engine is still low mileage, but it's been run hard on some track days so it should be pretty broken in. Was thinking about the whole ZDDP thing on whichever oil I decided on, and how the owners of later engines (with roller lifters) don't have to lose sleep over that, and for whatever reason I got to thinking about the LT-5. AFAIK, there's no rollers in the cam setup so I assume they would need the ZDDP levels too. Or not? What do the guys with OHC engines do regarding oil choices?

(Just curiosity here. No interest in owning one.)

Always synthetic in everything.

Are these zinc additives (Comp for example offers these magic bottles) compatible with synthetic oils ??

If I had a flat tappet engine I'd use a quality dino oil and zinc additive and pray it's not chewing up the cam lobes....

For this very reason I used a 86+ roller cam block for my 383... piece of mind.... I don't want to have to worry.....