Fabbing a 40" dipstick

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I need to make a dipstick about 40" long. I'm thinking maybe a 3/8 steel brake line cut and bent large radius, with a speedo cable with knob on the end. Any ideas?:huh:

What are you trying to do? Gauge oil level from inside the car? Or is this for that hillbillie shack on wheels??

An olde tyme sparkey asking a question like THAT???

how about a piece of 12 ga naked copper wire, with a little loop on the tip so it snakes easy.....

so complicated.....:drink:

I don't know the english traslation..... but I woul suggest a piece of these nylon wires used to pull electrical wires in the corrugate dhuses used in home wiring harness.

Such a long phrase.... for a word!

How about one of those giant zip-ties the tinners use, 4' long & 3/8" wide or so, inside a 7/16" copper tube? But your idea of speedo cable in brake line is good. It would be easy to read, too.

If its for a 400 or 350 the early 80's Chevy van tubes and dipstisks are around that length.

What about one of those coiled wire thingamajigs used to unclog clogged plumbing

If its for a 400 or 350 the early 80's Chevy van tubes and dipstisks are around that length.

84 Winnebago (P-30)w/ 454. Got a source?

I'm guessing it's a th400 tranny.
I converted a 3/4 ton Ford van years ago to a 350sbc/th400 and had to use the chevy van tranny tube and dipstick. On the older chevy vans the hood was very short, less than a foot long, just enough to pull a radiator. The van dipstick went past the top of the front pulleys. All I can remember is that the front mount for the tube was on the passenger side alternator bracket and it went up over the valve covers. You would have plenty of room.
Should work on a Winnebago.

Got mine both new at the GM dealer for pretty cheap (25 bucks then?). Don't know if it would still be available from them, but junkyard is next best.
10 minute install for the right parts. I wouldn't rig it.