RamJet cold airbox.

Bullshark

Not being much of a fabricator, Maybe you guys can give me some ideas/help on a cold airbox design for Project RamJet. I am thinking I would like to have a box fabricated somehow that would use the ~2" gap between the radiator and the top of the core support, while packaging the airfilter integral with the box. It could mount on the core support using those existing bolt holes. The upper radiator hose could pose some challenges. Here are some pics of what I am dealing with. Appreciate any guidance, but remember I work with electrons not metal bending:rolleyes:

P1010037%20(Large).JPG

P1010038%20(Large).JPG

P1010039%20(Large).JPG

P1010041%20(Large).JPG

Bullshark

One issue is, you are using an aftermarket radiator. I have a recored stock one here. Can you measure the thickness of yours and the gap? The airbox would have to fit the gap obviously.

I've thought about this a bunch...

We looking at some free HP, for every 11*F drop in IAT you get approx 1% increase in HP. Ambient air underhood 250-300? OAT ? Pick 82 and 250, you could see up to 15% increase. Ignoring any ram air effect at speed.

I want to locate the airbox the airbox behind the license plate opening in the bumper ("Beware RamJet Intake" seems like a cool hunk of decal) Then duct it to the TB.

The $640 question is HOW to get from the exit of the box to the TB without a lot of twisting, turning, and flow restriction...

I made the hood clearance over the rad support bigger when I fit the hood. The issue here is that you need to allow for the hood opening and that forces the air path to be "thin and wide" right where you need the airflow to the rad.

You could Dual NACA duct the hood and place the filter elements in the space in front of the TB over the accys.
Airfilter area and configuration are gonna be issues.

You could use the filter right on the TB and make a bottom plenum and use the hood for the top and a big NACA duct in the center to form the inlet to the air box...

You could split the flow in front of the TB then head out with hard or flexi duct. High temp brake duct or Aircraft ducting is a choice (silicone/fiberglass style). Down and under the core support if you have room at the sides of the rad. Use a cast TB elbow to get the flow laterally then head back to the plenum at the base of the winshield. Lotsa room in there

Lots of mockup parts here
Mr Gas Oval tubing
TBI elbow
Silicone Ducting

Gonna pickup some various C4-C6 air bridges and filter assemblies to play with as well..

Also remember every 90* turn is approximatly equal to the resistance in flow to 20 ft of straight duct.

:smash::banghead:

Just noticed... Billet TB and L98 style IAC and TPS...

52 or 58 mm?

I got one Just havent figured out the plan and cracked open the MEFI.

:cool::cool:

One issue is, you are using an aftermarket radiator. I have a recored stock one here. Can you measure the thickness of yours and the gap? The airbox would have to fit the gap obviously.

Marck, Took a couple of rough measurements. The top of the radiator is 2.5" with a variable (<2") profile along the top core support lip and the top of the radiator. There is a constant 1" gap from the top of the radiator and the inner support edge, which would be the defining gap for air flow. (shown in the pic). Another potential problem might be the A/C condenser mounted on the front of the core support. It is the stock condenser. I tried to show it in a pic. It does not violate the 1" gap limit since the cooling fins on the condenser are cut flat on the top.

P1010034%20(Large).JPG

P1010042%20(Large).JPG

P1010043%20(Large).JPG

P1010044%20(Large).JPG

Bullshark

Just noticed... Billet TB and L98 style IAC and TPS...

52 or 58 mm?

I got one Just havent figured out the plan and cracked open the MEFI.

:cool::cool:

58 mm. I had to take the RamJet intake in and get the TB intake openings enlarged

Bullshark.

P.S. I have the MEFI Scan & Tune software when you are ready

That AC condensor is going to severely limit the space on the front of the rad, especially since the hood has to clear it. Not much room left there.

That AC condenser is going to severely limit the space on the front of the rad, especially since the hood has to clear it. Not much room left there.

I think it only gets in the way if we would want to roll the air inlet down in front of the radiator. The 1" inlet is limited by the lower edge of the core support, below the upper lip and the front corner of the radiator. I am thinking if the inlet protrudes just past the front of the condenser that would be sufficient to capture cool air???

Does your engine overheat?

No, with that BeCool radiator and the dual Spal fans it runs cool as a cucumber.

Bullshark

I think it only gets in the way if we would want to roll the air inlet down in front of the radiator. The 1" inlet is limited by the lower edge of the core support, below the upper lip and the front corner of the radiator. I am thinking if the inlet protrudes just past the front of the condenser that would be sufficient to capture cool air???

Bullshark

Doesnt that mean you have the filter inside the airbox (in between the TB and radiator? That seems like it presents other packaging challenges.

Exactly, it would mean the airbox would have to be two pieces, one that goes in from the TB side and another that slides on it from the front where you can mount a large rectangular filter element..

I have been trying to come up with a custom design also. I have found a K&N air filter that will sit perfectly infront of the top center of radiator support. Its a 98~02 Camaro V8 K&N filter. Check out the K&N website for the dimensions and then measure. I borrowed a friends K&N filter for his 01 camaro and it fit perfectly allowing me to still open the hood. Now the tricky part was getting the snorkel/snake across the top of the radiator. There are like 20+ different versions of snake snorkels that flatten out across the radiator top and then point downwards. I never got around to trying to find the perfect fitting intake. I went to some vette shows where I could see all the newer vettes with the aftermarket air intakes and the ram-air boxes, etc. Fitting a ram-air box around the filter is going to be near impossible but finding a snake snorkel across the radiator top should be doable but ya need to find a shop with a ton of different C5/C6 intakes to test fit.