Testing a Fuel Rail, Stoddard Fluid?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I want to pressure test a fuel rail @ 43psi before putting the engine in the car and finding it leaks. Don't really want to try this with gas. I see most injectors are tested with Stoddard fluid. Well Stoddard fluid seems to be really expensive and shipping is restricted. A search seems to indicate that Stoddard fluid is mineral spirits. And, I can get that at Home Depot.

So, anyone used mineral spirits for this?

BTW, I am not going to fire the injectors so I shouldn't have vaporized mineral spirits.

Why will you need the stoddard fluid? Are you going to spray test the injectors also and create a combustible cloud?? If not I would just hook up the fuel system and run the pump and check for leaks. That's what I do. Make sure your injectors are secured with those clips or any other type of fastening or they will come flying out and you have a BIG gas spill

Why will you need the stoddard fluid? Are you going to spray test the injectors also and create a combustible cloud?? If not I would just hook up the fuel system and run the pump and check for leaks. That's what I do. Make sure your injectors are secured with those clips or any other type of fastening or they will come flying out and you have a BIG gas spill

:smash: /\ this......:thumbs: