Brakes, this time on my Saturn

mike76c3

2000 LW1(wagon)

The front driver's rim is grinding on the brake caliper. Started recently. Stops when brakes are lightly applied, so I'm hoping it's a loose caliper and not the bearings (or something worse).

Mike

Check the guide pins, may be loose

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P5110 met Tapatalk

The guide pins were secure, came out without issue, and appear to be O.K.

The pads are another story. Each is worn unevenly. The outboard pad is thicker closer to the wheel hub, while the other pad is the opposite. The difference is about .100" for each pad.

I haven't put the wheel back on, but grabbing the edges of the rotor and trying to wiggle it back and forth or up and down doesn't result in much if any movement.

Does this mean the caliper bracket may be bent? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Mike

I grabbed the box that the old brake pads came in to take them to Autozone for new ones, and happened to read the box. The box says the wear pattern is caused by a worn guide pin bushing. I had not realized there was a bushing in the caliper. What I had read and seen online led me to believe that the "rubber parts" in the caliper were just seals. DOH! Looks like I need more parts . . .

Mike

I grabbed the box that the old brake pads came in to take them to Autozone for new ones, and happened to read the box. The box says the wear pattern is caused by a worn guide pin bushing. I had not realized there was a bushing in the caliper. What I had read and seen online led me to believe that the "rubber parts" in the caliper were just seals. DOH! Looks like I need more parts . . .

Mike

Lucky it's not a MO Par.......:clap:

the guide pin may be loose but excessive wear on the pin or guide allows the caliper to sit crooked

I got new guide pins along with the bushings for less than $20 for both wheels :bounce:

Did a little cleanup while I was there:

572518ca926d9752.jpg

I couldn't see any of the markings before (I especially liked the "GM" on the caliper). There's a lot more that I could do, but I'd rather spend the time on the 'vette first.

Mike