1950 Buick Sedanet

SuperBuickGuy

I'm not sure I mentioned that I like Buicks. I do - I don't even care what year - I have a cowl from a 28 Buick that someday will be made into something beside wall art; but that's not my current project

In 2005 or so, I got roped into doing a car show. I love cars, I love building cars, I love driving cars.... and I could count, on one hand, the number of car shows I'd been to (never mind participated - that number requires no hands to demonstrate).

The pastor of our church decided, since I was the only person with a "show" car (a 1970 Buick Skylark) - that I should run a show. Long story short, I find myself at the (now defunct) Seattle car show. At the show was a 1950 Buick Sedanet with a 500 ci Caddy motor in it. I was in love.... roll forward to a couple years ago - I'm perusing Billings Montana Craigslist (no, I'm not obsessed dammit) and I find this

Here's the car that started it all
Sledanette3.jpg

and here's what I found

P2190003.jpg

P2190005.jpg

at the time I bought this car, I had started building a 455 twin turbo Buick motor.... originally, it was to be inserted into the 1970 Buick Skylark... you'll note, that the C3 replaced the Buick?

currently, that motor is at its 3rd machine shop - getting sleeved, and a girdle installed. I have edelbrock heads for it. MS3x megasquirt and twin 86mm turbos..... the block will be half-filled and should be capable of 900 hp. This motor is a stop-gap for the next motor which gets an aluminum buick block (known as the tomahawk). I have a roller cam and lifters for the motor.

Anyway, just recently I rolled the car back into the shop to start its first assembly. I have a 455, transmission, panther platform from suspension and 9" Ford rear... it'll get a 4 link (probably)

anyway, I rolled it out
attachment.jpg

and blew the front off
P7300005_zps5e1492a7.jpg

and am being inspired by another guy doing the same treatment to a 1948 Chevrolet sedanet
038.jpg

and here we are tonight.... still measuring... so I have about 16 hours in this so far - I should start cutting tomorrow

P7310006_zps98e4ff44.jpg

if you folks are interested in seeing the build, I'll post highlights on here - I'm also blogging this on TeamBuick.com

if you do want to see it, say so :)

Count me in, always interested in good hot rod projects of any type....

aluminum block?? Buick?? :huh: Never heard of it....

and the red car above.....so much reminds me of that '49 Ford that moved into my burb, from the west coast/Oregon? belonged to a couple of brothers, their dad got transferred into DC, anyway it appears on the street when I"m about 8-9 y/o....baby blue, lowered, chopped, channeled, louvers, flaps, dual antennas, full moon discs, fuzzy dice, I tossed my bike aside and started in with cars....

and go carts, and......and andn and.......

Last edited:

and the red car above.....so much reminds me of that '49 Ford that moved into my burb, from the west coast/Oregon? belonged to a couple of brothers, their dad got transferred into DC, anyway it appears on the street when I"m about 8-9 y/o....baby blue, lowered, chopped, channeled, louvers, flaps, dual antennas, full moon discs, fuzzy dice,

I tossed my bike aside and started in with cars and go carts, and wife's and cars and more wife's and motor homes and cars and more wife's.......
There fixed it for you.:crylol:

more work
some days you need a wrench, others a sawzall
P8010001_zps84c7ebb1.jpg

were this a delorean I'd make some comment about gigawatts
P8010002_zpsc7e01852.jpg

there we go... first eyeball
P8010003_zps070a25b9.jpg

I'm going to cut the spring pockets off flush with the frame, then notch the new rails and fit them over the current frame
P8010004_zps5350eb27.jpg

and there's were I stopped....
P8010006_zpsb7055ff8.jpg

Stella the bloodhound is a pretty sick doggie and my wife was a bit broken up about that - so the car got put away....

and the red car above.....so much reminds me of that '49 Ford that moved into my burb, from the west coast/Oregon? belonged to a couple of brothers, their dad got transferred into DC, anyway it appears on the street when I"m about 8-9 y/o....baby blue, lowered, chopped, channeled, louvers, flaps, dual antennas, full moon discs, fuzzy dice,

I tossed my bike aside and started in with cars and go carts, and wife's and cars and more wife's and motor homes and cars and more wife's.......
There fixed it for you.:crylol:

NOT nearly as much as g/f's.....:hissyfit::gurney:

Stella
puppy who has my yellow lab on the ropes

and here
P7300001_zpsaec0afaa.jpg

Is a highly-trained trailing dog that would cost $15,000-$45,000 to replace.

I've lost lots of dogs over the years, but this one has a lot of time and money invested in her - that could be lost if we can't keep her platelet levels right (lost=dead).... the irony is she is 1 test away from qualification, and was going to be qualified the weekend after she almost died. The issue yesterday was we thought we had the problem beat - but we found out yesterday that we were wrong....

no worries

Still working on getting the ford to roll under the Buick - but I'm pretty close to punching done on this project (though it really doesn't look like it)

Here are the spring pockets - they are very much in the way
P8010004_zps5350eb27.jpg

I'm cutting it out slowly because I'm too lazy to brace the front end... in hindsight, I probably should have just sectioned the entire part in, the welded the bumper support and core support back in. OTH, I think it looks cleaner to maintain the factory rails - so it's not a "would have" rather a "there's another way"
P8010003_zps070a25b9.jpg

measurement for posterity - I need to know where this is because the entire cross member will be gone when I'm done
P8010005_zpsc7009fbc.jpg

no going back now
P8040007_zps2b60dbe6.jpg

P8040009_zpsbf2e28dc.jpg

so tomorrow, mark, and notch where the through-tubes will be in the Buick frame, then weld it together, fish plate it, then reattach the rear control arm mount

well, tomorrow has turned into day-after-tomorrow and it's still not welded in place... hopefully by Thursday
P8060001_zps059f83a0.jpg

:shocking::pprrtt: Get to work damnit!!!! .....bleemee I know the feeling, I been working on my old Dodge 3/4 ton van for 3 daze now, water pump and tons of other crap....friggin near 100f and certainly 110% humidity....we gone and drowned two dozen catfish in the swamp at bottom of the hill.....due to all the rainfall, their escape canoe was overwhelmed by the wash down the gully.....we held a proper funeral, and fried them up.....

:crylol:

Fine, then I'll just get it done!

well, I now know the easy way to do this... determine the centerline, cut the nose off and weld a 2x4 steel replacement horns on.

like this
P8080001_zps69318256.jpg

P8080003_zps2c1a41ab.jpg
as a side note, the rotobits are awesome

P8080004_zps575a9003.jpg
P8080002_zps0b526404.jpg

so I have to weld the plates back on for the rear
P8080005_zpsa9010c59.jpg

and weld the bumper horns back on.... though, I think, the next thing I'm going to do is put the nose on to verify that it looks right.... it measures right, but there are times... well, schmit happens.

all cause you said so :) :rofl:

I'm not mad or anything, but honestly, I don't have time to monitor and maintain several different websites for the same project and honestly, it doesn't really fit with the focus of this great forum. I'm blogging this on TeamBuick, and there's a rousing discussion of all things about this car on Bangshift.com. Feel free to join in on either of those sites if you're interested in following....