Crankshaft question

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
Hey guys! It's been a long time, but I'm back. :thankyou:

Anywho. I have a question for everybody. Now that I'm done spending money on *ahem* other stuff, I'm getting back to building the engine for the c3. What I have is a factory 4 bolt, 1 piece rear main roller block that's going to be the foundation. My concern is the crank. The combination I have envisioned I feel comfortable will make a solid 400hp at the crank, possibly more. I'm worried that's right at the limit for a stock crank, maybe over. I could make more power, but my objective is good, usable power that's going to be stone-axe reliable for years. I want this to be the last engine I ever build for the c3.

I currently have a spare cast crank I could use, plus the one that's in the current engine. But my concern is reliability at that power level. This is exclusively a street engine with some "spirited" driving, but no racing any more.

At this point I'm leaning heavily towards a forged crank, if for no other reason than certain reliability. I'm open to a cast crank, but I have my worries. The one thing that is a non-starter for me is a Chinese forging. I currently have emails out to Eagle (certain), Scat (I think) and Callias (don't think) to find out where they get their forgings. I'm willing to pay more for something that's not Chinese, so I'm prepared for the premium.

But that's where I am. What's everybody's opinion?

Going with a forged crank is a good idea if you only want to do this once. I suppose the catch is, can you trust these companies to tell you the truth? Or maybe they consider the source of their forgings "proprietary" (which means they a Chinese).

Unless the Callias is on par with the others $$-wise, Id have no problem with a chinese forged crank from scat or eagle (at your power level). We regularly beat on a Scat forged crank in our shop car 406 with around 600 hp.

Unless the Callias is on par with the others $$-wise, Id have no problem with a chinese forged crank from scat or eagle (at your power level). We regularly beat on a Scat forged crank in our shop car 406 with around 600 hp.

I absolutely REFUSE to put Chinese shit in my engine if there is an option. I'm proud to say I've been anti-China (CCP) for decades before the China flu.

If it's American made, that's great. If it comes from off shore, I can deal with that, just so long as it's not from China.