Fixed caliper shimming

vette427sbc

Related to my C4 rear brake caliper plate... In my research it seems like most radial mount calipers have a bracket that converts to an axial mount. Is this intentional so that shimming the caliper to achieve a perfect "center" over the rotor can be achieved? Maybe something else? In my caliper plate design I would like to have the radial mount boss be integral to the whole bracket. Eliminates 2 extra bolts (failure point?), weight and less machine work/materials. So assuming the machining is on point, any reason to have it convert to axial at my new bracket?

I made a bracket to mount to the old axial mounts front and back. I thought about making the rear plate/radial mount one piece but that was a big chunk of aluminum to cut away. Since you have to make your plates also, maybe a one piece bracket/plate would be better. It makes things easier because the axial plate and caliper bracket are pretty thick bolted together.

449288be928114.jpg

4493013f8aa916.jpg

Thats the way I was leaning towards... Hoping to get a somewhat accurate 3d printed version first before it goes to the CNC.
Love your brake setup BTW!

If you are going to get printed parts, you could leave the caliper mount holes out, mock up the assembly and transfer punch the mount holes. I think that is what I did.

What are you doing for wheels? I found that to be a challenge because of caliper clearance with the back of the "spokes" of most wheels.

If you are going to get printed parts, you could leave the caliper mount holes out, mock up the assembly and transfer punch the mount holes. I think that is what I did.

What are you doing for wheels? I found that to be a challenge because of caliper clearance with the back of the "spokes" of most wheels.

I got my ST40 calipers in the other day so I was able to get some hard measurements... I dont have the spot caliper yet so those mount holes I will leave out.

These calipers do look like they are going to cause major interference with regular off the shelf wheels but my size requirements are going to force me to get custom wheels anyway... My BMW wheels wont even work as rollers anymore :clobbered: