Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD General Discussion > Projects

Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (2)

so I loosened the bows on one side and only cut from the bow loop the amount of the red body color showing for the bow and then moved to the other side. and did the same... then pulled the fabric down to the door lip. Jim Cheatham was gracious enough to cut the door surround trim and windshield headliner trim piece. so i need to make a trip south to pick those up this week. I still need to get the binder clips too finish the stretch. no reason to push this let nature and heat relax the fabric.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:37 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Just watched the "Wheeler Dealers" MGA episode last night. They're definitely cool little cars, and they got a pretty penny for theirs when it was done.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:41 PM
United States | Addict

yeah they do in an episode what takes us months...although I do like the show.....Ed Chinas tools have gotten better over the years.

I think I figured out why I have this gap

this is how the parcel shelf frame is lining up with the bottom of the window panel

this is an original parcel shelf frame lined up with the bottom of the window panel (from DanielR)

and that's why I have this gap, its pretty clear to me that the bracket tab got pushed down on the ends probably from someone leaning on it as leverage to pull a battery out. should be an easy fix to push the tabs more up right

Old 05-31-2016, 08:57 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
yeah they do in an episode what takes us months...although I do like the show.....Ed Chinas tools have gotten better over the years.
Among the things I really like about the show is the lack of time-wasting "shop banter" stupidity that most of the US shows engage in, and the fact that Edd is very up-front about how long things take and that the work is compressed to fit in an episode. I also like the lack of intrusive sponsorship deals that most of the US shows engage in. I want to see someone working on a car, not spend 1/3 of the running time while the host engages in advertising. Even the tool brands (Teng in the UK, mostly Craftsman in the US) are damned near impossible to spot on-screen, and only get a small note in the end credits. One exception was in the MGA episode (I think) when Edd was using a specialty tool with a very large and impossible to hide Snap-On logo. On the other hand, the lack of a deal with sponsorship banners all over the shop means that if he needs a tool from Snap-On, he can just go ahead and use it.

Mike wouldn't have touched your coupe with a 50-ft pole. When he was looking for an MGA, he talked about the notorious rust problems and that they wouldn't make any money on a car that required more than minimal rust repairs.

Last edited by Sam Cogley; 05-31-2016 at 09:00 PM..
Old 06-01-2016, 02:33 AM
United States | Addict

4 years later and I sometimes wonder what was I thinking.....although I do like the journey, but i dont need a another trip any time soon thats for sure

1000 binder clips later....

funny thing is you cant see those stretch marks with out the flash....looks like i found a trick to see how i am doing and no more complaining about Va heat and humidity...its actually helping me once in my lifetime

Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 AM
United States | Addict

today was a road trip day to pick up the door and front window trim pieces that Jim C made for me when he made his own pieces. it was nice meeting Jim and talking MGs with him

Old 06-03-2016, 12:25 AM
United States | Addict

lets wrap up the parcel shelf as much as we can

move the rear parcel shelf frame so the bottom is where its suppose to be and drill a hole for a fastener

repeat other side

cut the panel to size to take up the gap

close fit on both sides with the same panel flipped over

when the 1/8 Luan is doubled up there is no gap

prime the steel

so the plan is use the steel as the supporting structure and get some 1/4" water proof panel board or maybe even masonite and glue it to the steel and then glue the vinyl to both of them.....the angle where the shelf drops down has no supporting piece so this is my way of dealing with it.

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-03-2016 at 01:10 AM..
Old 06-04-2016, 09:32 PM
United States | Addict

time to finish the parcel shelf.....dont really know how to do this smoothly so i am just doing it.....1/4 panel board

this was 5 hours of constant work

this is where we start the panel has been primed and dryed over night

fit the panel, use tape as a spacing tool off the back bend and make 5 holes for the top, i have decided to use #6 finishing screws through out the coupe....my #4 screws are loose in the existing holes so i am just going up one size. my original screws are an inbetween size of the now #4 and #6. any way decision made...too hard to find the original holes in the boot

the panel board is glued to the sheet steel

beveled edges sanded and puddyed up with 2 part glazing puddy

while i cut the material

just do it.....what could possibly go wrong? just paint up the panel and vinyl

and then pick up the vinyl to the panel so theres no wrinkles

flip it over and work on the edges

and just work your way around it

and done

and some clamps to compress the seams

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-04-2016 at 09:37 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 PM
United States | Addict

a little side track but you guys seem to like the metal working aspects of things especially from the bead roller

a fellow car guy Ed C asked me to help him make some panels for a truck project he has going on.

this is in the bead roller, I think its pretty cool.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:39 PM
United States | Addict

start with rthe MG work

let the headliner get nice and warm and get another 1/2" stretch all around

i will let this take its own shape for a while

so time to do some garage chores...

my bead roller stand needed some more die storage and to be painted

treated with a metal prep

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-11-2016 at 08:54 PM..