Go Back   VetteMOD.com > Whats On Your Mind? > Off Topic

Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (0)
Smile Repair Mistakes & Blunders!

We are looking for some good "Repair Mistake & Blunder" true stories to feature in the RockAuto newsletter (we know you have some)! Tell us about your most infamous auto repair blunder or unconventional fix. Use your woe to help others avoid similar mistakes or share off-the-wall solutions that worked ... at least for a while!

Please e-mail your story to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Include your mailing address and let us know if you would like a RockAuto T-shirt (please let us know your shirt size) or Hat if we publish your story. See the T-shirts and Hats by looking under the "[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]" tab in the RockAuto.com online catalog.

The story will be credited using only your first name and your vague geographic location (state, province, country, continent, etc.) so you can remain semi-anonymous!

Read the latest "Repair Mistake & Blunder" story in our current newsletter : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Enjoy (and learn how to avoid) even more "Repair Mistakes & Blunders" in the newsletter archives: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Old 03-31-2017, 04:12 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (7)

OK..I'll be the first to admit a screw-up. I purchased a silver 2001 Corvette Dec. 2010 with a horrible looking grey interior. I changed the interior to black, everything went perfect EXCEPT for the carpet. I'll admit I was lazy and did not remove the console to install the 2 front sections of the carpet. On the passenger side of the "tunnel" up near the console I cut the carpet about 2" too short and had to glue strip of extra carpet and try to blend the seam in. It didn't look bad but I KNEW the screw up was there. At the time (early 2011) it was hard enough locating that aftermarket set, which was the last one that vendor had because they were not real happy with the quality of the mold at the time and they were working on new molds. I lived with the screw-up until this past November where I "rejuvenated" the car. I had both rocker panels repainted (car is lowered), highly detailed the modified engine compartment, clay bar-compound-polish-wax the paint using a Flex 3401, and installed a complete new set of ACC carpet with removing the console this time. The car looks brand new & loving it all over again.

BTW... My 1973 Corvette was the "SUPER CHEVY ROCK AUTO" car in 2015 @ PBIR in Jupiter, Fla.

Thanks for all you guys do, I use your parts (when applicable) for all 3 of my vehicles.
1973 Corvette
2001 Corvette
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8