Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Workshop > Fabrication Section

Old 05-03-2008, 04:44 AM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (5)
Default '69 Custom Headlights

I like the ideas that have been expressed in Twin Turbo's thread about using the Hella lamp assemblies, but hadn't considered using the old flip-up headlight assemblies that BBShark is using to mount the Hellas into.

I bought the Eckler kit and put it in, then didn't like it because it seemed to be the only option on the market for custom headlights, so I set out to do my own. A friend of mine in FL had bought a set of aluminum buckets, so when I was there to visit, I took all the dimensional info and plan to make a layout drawing to use 2 headlights with 1 directional in the same housing...have bought the Hella 90mm units (hi & lo) and am looking for a round directional the same size that will look good with the Hellas.

Sorry Guys...I just can't seem to get the hang of posting pictures into the thread...you'll just have to look at my photos.

Last edited by smrtmblues; 05-03-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Install pictures
Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
And for those who wish to retain the pop-up headlights but don't want them to come up as high. Here is a design using the Hella modules, headlight doors open about half way.

BBShark, if it's not too much to ask, do you have the dimensions of the headlight lids for your rendering? I am trying to make a hammerform of the lids and if you have the dimensions it would save me a bunch of time.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:42 AM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (260)

I can get the dimensions from the drawing but they are 68 lids. These are slightly smaller than later. I do have some 69-up lids that I can measure if that would help.

I could measure the curvature of the surface also. I know the back of the lid is a 100 inch radius and the very front is less. There is also a flatter radius from side to side. Let me know what you need.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
United States | Member

I am trying to make it for a '77 so it would be 69-up. If you could get the dimensions and the curvature that would be awesome. I am going to try to make the hammerform next week but my headlight lids are two states away. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 PM

Here are the radii. The very front of the cover has a smaller radius than the rear. The radius changes where the yellow line is. I will get a dimensioned drawing tonight and post it.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 PM

Here are the dimensions of a 76 cover:

Old 05-15-2008, 11:39 PM
United States | Lurker

My Photos: (0)

Hi Guys, I like the OEM style flip-up with the Hellas too. The main reason I dislike the originals is they just stick up to high and are like having a Nascar roof flap to slow the vehicle on front. At least lowering them should make them have less drag and not be as ugly either.

I think I will attempt this on my project '80. I know I'm a ways from this but you have to plan ahead and acquire the parts and info long before the piece bolts on.

I still have a set of new Gulstrand lens somewhere around here I got a couple of years ago. I never got to make the buckets, but I did geta template from the original Gulstrand Aluminum buckets before Mike sold the car. So I have options, but I like the flip-ups.

I have information stored from the CF on an electric actuator conversion from a Firebird and had considered using that setup if I went with the OEM style flip ups. Any new and /or easier method on that approach? Jim
Old 05-16-2008, 03:09 AM
United States | Addict

how do they lock in position if they only open half way?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Look at post #7 for the drawing of the shorter link.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:11 AM
United States | Member

BBShark, thanks for the dimensions.