Dual pass radiators: ??

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Can anyone explain the thermal physics of dual pass radiators to me? I keep reading claims of increased cooling with those type of radiators, but it's not obvious to me why. It seems that if there's no change in the coolant flow volume (gallons per minute), or change in the fin surface area, or a change in the airflow through it, how can it reject heat any better than a single pass radiator. I can visualize a possible increase in turbulent coolant flow in a dual pass radiator, allowing possibly a bit more heat rejection into the internal surfaces, but that seems minor (to me) at best.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

There is a lot of factors. If they increase the tube size or count then residence time increases. They might have internal fins/turbulators plus the 180 turn creates more mixing/vortices/mixing. Quick search found this:

http://ligrani.com/Research/Groups/internalcooling.html

First bit talks about increasing heat transfer with turbulence.

Last edited:
I"m told that cars with 134 freon have dual + pass condensers on them, All I know is that my '72 has had 134 in it with stock shit for 19 years now, and does good in Florida....course some other mods done, but not to the coils....

:D