C4 rear bumper removal question.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I'm planning on pulling the rear bumper off the '84 over Christmas. I've got it stored at the in-laws, and I've been wanting to make some progress on putting the new (fiberglass) bumper on so I can start 'glassing on the "ducktail" spoiler. (I've got a hi-rise hood on the car to clear the turbo plumbing, and the rear spoiler should help out the stance/proportions a bit. Any post-bodywork aero improvement is a freebie.) I would assume the bumper comes off with a minimum of hassle, but I thought I'd ask first in case there's an odd issue or two to deal with in the process.

thanks,
Mike

I'm planning on pulling the rear bumper off the '84 over Christmas. I've got it stored at the in-laws, and I've been wanting to make some progress on putting the new (fiberglass) bumper on so I can start 'glassing on the "ducktail" spoiler. (I've got a hi-rise hood on the car to clear the turbo plumbing, and the rear spoiler should help out the stance/proportions a bit. Any post-bodywork aero improvement is a freebie.) I would assume the bumper comes off with a minimum of hassle, but I thought I'd ask first in case there's an odd issue or two to deal with in the process.

thanks,
Mike

Your dreaming if you think it will be a minimum of hassle :crylol::crylol::crylol::crylol::crylol:

the 10mm side bolts are hard enough to get off even with the tail-lights removed. Removing the tail-lights is a whole nother issue in itself. Then across the top there are like 8-10 9/36 screws that are a royal PITA to remove.

Piece of advice just cut the bumper off then address the bolt removal or it will take you hours to get all the bolts out.

Last edited:
Yes, I had a loose rear light on mine, I had to use a 1/4" ratchet and 10 foot of extensions, remove rear wheel & inner fenders and poke around to tighten it. The bumper bolts are probably accessed in the same manner. No fun at all!

thanks,
Mike

Your dreaming if you think it will be a minimum of hassle :crylol::crylol::crylol::crylol::crylol:

the 10mm side bolts are hard enough to get off even with the tail-lights removed. Removing the tail-lights is a whole nother issue in itself. Then across the top there are like 8-10 9/36 screws that are a royal PITA to remove.

Piece of advice just cut the bumper off then address the bolt removal or it will take you hours to get all the bolts out.

Yes, I had a loose rear light on mine, I had to use a 1/4" ratchet and 10 foot of extensions, remove rear wheel & inner fenders and poke around to tighten it. The bumper bolts are probably accessed in the same manner. No fun at all!

:bonkers: Jesus Christ guys, here I thought my custom tail lights were a PIA to work on, maybe to count small blessings eh??

:hissyfit::waxer:

If you are planning on keeping the stock bumper undamaged. remove the tail lights first then you can access the 10mm side bolts for the cover. The bumper honeycomb cushion makes getting at the tail light bolts very hard. Some say go through the license plate opening to get at them. Also remove the entire gas lid assembly to get at a couple of these 9/32 screws as well.

no matter what though, I see a good 4 hour job to remove the cover. Saw a guy on CF just sawzall his off. the remove the hard to get to screws and bolts. 84-90 covers are a dime a dozen so saving it isn't worth the hassle of fighting all those bolts to remove it. Or just take a hammer and whack the tail light assemblies till they break then you can reach through the holes instead of fighting for hours to unbolt them.

tail light bulb replacement alone was another reason I choose to put a 91-up rear bumper cover on my 90.

I don't see how you can gain access through either the license opening or gas door opening you would have to have really long and thin arms and probably grow another joint or 2

I don't see how you can gain access through either the license opening or gas door opening you would have to have really long and thin arms and probably grow another joint or 2

That is how I got to my tail light bolts is through the license plate opening. NO 10 feet a extensions here LOL

Long and thin is the correct answer. Arms like mine, fugit it :banghead: