I'm a dumbass.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I've had the original (long block) engine wrapped up in storage for several years while I put track mileage on some non-numbers matching engines. I occasionally unwrap it (every couple years), squirt some more oil in the cylinders and turn the crank over a bit. I unwrapped it today, took a peek at it, and saw that a mouse had made a partial nest in the lifter valley. That annoyed me, but I was able to vacuum out most of the contents with my shop vac. What really pissed me off was I noticed the little bastard has pissed all over the camshaft. Apparently mouse piss is pretty acidic or something, as several of the lobes are pretty rusty. Looks like that's gonna cost me the price of a cam kit down the road when I try to get that engine running again.

I freely admit I'm the dumbass here for not being a bit more careful sealing the engine up after I took it out of the car twenty years ago.

Just felt the need for confession here. :crap:

Mine's been wrapped in the garage at least 5 years - I feel I could be joining the club. Do we get hats?
:friends:

Cheers - Jim

I sold the L48 some 22 years ago, out of my '72.......trans also......

nothing stock, stem through stern, wheels through roof, NOTHING.....

:goodevil:

I have mouse turds all over the back of the outside of the car and little holes in the car cover and am wondering what else they may have gotten in to. Can I join your club or is it exclusive?

I had a pack rat that used my intake manifold and bellhousing to hang out on for a few days. For dinner one night it ate through the wires to the distributor. Couldn't get the little bastard to leave; it would just crawl down the transmission when I sprayed carb cleaner on it, then return later. Finally had to put a point on a long 1/8" rod and spear it while it was on the bellhousing.

I hear dryer sheets are a deterrent for mice. Maybe put a few around where your motor is, and change every month. At least your storage area will smell nice ;-)

Mike

I had a pack rat that used my intake manifold and bellhousing to hang out on for a few days. For dinner one night it ate through the wires to the distributor. Couldn't get the little bastard to leave; it would just crawl down the transmission when I sprayed carb cleaner on it, then return later. Finally had to put a point on a long 1/8" rod and spear it while it was on the bellhousing.

I hear dryer sheets are a deterrent for mice. Maybe put a few around where your motor is, and change every month. At least your storage area will smell nice ;-)

Mike

I'll give that a try. :thumbs:

wow..... I wrap parts in cheap plastic like the painter's drop cloth after I sprayed it with PB blaster or Kroil..... mice or rats don't seem to like that stuff..... LOL ... doesn't smell like the "autumn breeze" dryer sheets but seems to work .... and the garage smells like a garage..... LOL

wow..... I wrap parts in cheap plastic like the painter's drop cloth after I sprayed it with PB blaster or Kroil..... mice or rats don't seem to like that stuff..... LOL ... doesn't smell like the "autumn breeze" dryer sheets but seems to work .... and the garage smells like a garage..... LOL

Hey, still looking for updates on your shop. The pictures from a few years ago when you first got the property sure looked promising for a nice shop setup.

Hey, still looking for updates on your shop. The pictures from a few years ago when you first got the property sure looked promising for a nice shop setup.

I'll start a new thread, cannot upload pics with my crappy cellphone signal here.... teaser: just installed a lift ?

I tried all the usual pest repellents. Plug in style that make some inaudible sound that repel God knows what. Junk. Dryer sheets. Best in the dryer. Tried all kinds in cars & motor home – as well my residence.

Best I have found is powered Cayenne Pepper among the Spices at the grocery store.

I spread a small dusting on the air cleaners, generator, battery, battery compartment on RV. Under the rear seat of my wife's car where the battery is located. After the winter when all the cars get more use, it's cleaned up. No critters.

I had literally thousands in damage done by a group of wood peckers that put holes right through the shingles, plywood down to the Pink fiberglass insulation. Some the size of golf ball ! Got my own scaffolding so I repaired & replaced where damage was too great. They key to keeping them away was filling their small holes with Cayenne Pepper mixed with plastic wood. Honestly it stopped them completely. They always returned to the same spots. Even stained over the repairs. Mixes it with peanut butter and Rodents learn to avoid he smell. Trapping & poisons those that kill them stink it up when they pass. More humane. Hot as hell if you get it on mouth, nasal passages, eyes – but you won't die. My $3.19 spice tip.

PS also got rid of the Borer Bees when filled their holes with a Cayenne Pepper. Hot stuff.