Observations

BRUTAL64

Neanderthal
I'm the Senior Tech for Classic Industries. I've been building engines/cars since I was 12. I talk to people all day long that shouldn't even be driving a vehicle, let alone working on one. I'm suppose to know everything possible about F, B, and X bodied GM vehicles. In most cases, it is mearly impossible to stump me on any problem given enough time.

The reason I'm telling you guys all this is because I want you people to know what I'm going to say is from a "somewhat" knowledge person.

This group of guys that have assembled here is one of the best in vehicle knowledge that I have seen in many years. TT, for all his gruff manner, has impressed me numerous times. TT is quite a bundle of knowledge. The rest of you guys (too many to mention here) are impressive also.

I'm not much for group fun. I did even start a Vette club years ago called Tri-City Vettes. I couldn't take the BS for more than a few months. But the first Bird Fest was great and the people I met there were pretty good joes.

I guess what I'm saying is; I'm going to stay for a while and learn a thing or two ( if it is still possible).:beer:

Just to let you know, Bird; you are the major reason I came over here.:drink:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB oh mow mow....bird is the word.....

Being used to a relatively independant hotrodding life on and off for decades now, just a few friends, and some of the younger generation over the years....seems my olde buddy Larry and I have draggeed a whole couple of generations of younger kids into Pontiacs, Vettes, Mopars, hotrods, cars, racing from Drags to SCCA classes....to defensive driving schools for Secret Service to FBI to whoever....courtesy Bill Scott at Summitt Point Racetrack...the Feds train there....

but as for my own efforts...mainly on my own....the net in the past ~15 years is a new resource for information and concepts/ideas....

many modifications done to this vette would not have ever been thought of by myself alone.....things like TT has done, and Idar Anderson withthe rack conversion, and Norval with the HB conversion...the O ring calipers, the suspensions, the engines.....even finding out there was another OD auto tranny than the 700r4 for fitting the vette...the 200 4r....

the list is very long....VERY long....

information on the vette sites that don't exist in the NCRS oriented clubs...then the field is obviously SO much wider...jeebus one silly regional culb of a hundred guys....vs...the fucking WORLD????

:flash::D:hi:

I have been enthralled with cars since the age of 15 or so. My first car, that I still own, is a 23 Model T Ford that I built from parts. Yes, a correct parts car.
I have owned a 57 T-Bird, a 63 Austin Healey, all the usual new stuff, and worked on numorous other cars. My good friend Bob and I have restored many cars together over the last 10 years.Jaguar XKE, 55 T-Bird,27 Model T,57 Chevy 2 door, etc. My friend Mark, whom I went to High School with, restored the first Model T to ever be invited to Pebble Beach Concours, and beat their ass.
I have done clubs,shows,concourse, won quite a few trophies as a kid, drag raced and wrenched in H.S, and met many a gearhead. Used to hang with a guy that worked at Briggs Cunningham museum, and got to meet Briggs, his wife, Phil Hill, Bill Harrah, and lots of other drivers.
Of all the things I have enjoyed the most, has been chatting with YOU guys about these cars, the last few years. Getting to meet some of you at the Bird Fest was great.
There is a common bond between us. It may be restoring, it can be HP bragging rights, Auto-cross, trophies, drag racing, or just cruising around. It's simple really. No matter our niche, we all love Corvettes. And just like women,or a fine cigar, they're all good. Just some are better than others.:beer:

Me too. I'm not really sure how I got into cars. Back when I was of (more) tender years, my dad was an insurance salesman as a profession, but had a selection of pretty cool stuff. In '60(?) he started looking for an "old car" to restore, specifically, a Model T. He found it. It's setting in my garage now. He finished that one in '66- I've got a picture of it and his brand new '65 Mustang in the driveway. After that, he restored a '47 Chevy pickup. I was really in that one with him. I guess that started it. By the time I got in high school, it was anything that used gasoline.

My car list:
1 64 Ford Falcon 170 6cyl, 4 speed
2 67 Chevelle SS first REAL car, with horsepower. (uh-oh, I'm hooked)
3 73 Z-28 yep low compression 350/245hp. 4 speed, no air, no nothing
4 got married (big boo-boo, but another story)
5 66 Chevelle
7 72 Chevelle- did a full boat frame off resto on this one
8 89 Chevy pickup
9 01 GMC
10 01 Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer-Glide #1)
11 07 Harley Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic (Geezer-Glide #2)
12 Ol' Red- there's a long story behind this one- but it's a GOOD story

That 350 that was in the Z-28 came back to me as part of the deal on Ol' Red. I'm currently kind of looking for some wheels to put under it. 010 block casting, 2.02 intake valves, more cam than should ever be installed with low compression (hey what did I know?), but used to regularly kick the crap out of big block Chevells and 455 Trans-Am's with it.

I still recall the "hot-rod" guys in school. I just never could fit in. They had daddy's money, I was supporting my car habit pumping gas. That old 67 Chevelle SS would run with them and they couldn't understand how.

Still a bit old school for me- I was always a "loner" no clubs, just me. Now, and especailly after the Bird tour, I'm happy to be part of a bunch of guys that are in it just for fun.

Last edited:
That's odd, Tim, my dad was in the insurance business also....had his own agency, him and 2 partners....back in the daze when things were considerably more/completely honest.....

I too was pretty much of a loner in the teen years....wasn't untill in my 20's I started any car oriented friends....met my second oldest buddy/friend through my'60 vette, we were introduced by a guy who later became a mass murderer...serious as heart attack.....:evil:.....

I have had a weird life....

very weird....

hang

Well I not a great mechanic. But I know who to ask when I get in trouble. And I am some what of a loner. But there seems to be a great bunch of guys and a lot to learn here.
So I guess I will be staying on.

Darrow

Funny those here that talk of being a loner...........I was always accused
of being one.......I just don't see it.................I like to think
of it as Independent, I've just never had a NEED to run with a "CROWD" :quote:.

TimAT.........I had a '73 Z-28 as well ...... the only sports car I ever owned
before buying the Vette. I bought it minus the motor. Other wise the car
was loaded, I guess. TH400, A/C. Hounds tooth interior, 4:11 posi. (orig. 3:42)
The car was factory black with NO stripes.....was special ordered that way.
Wished I had kept that one.......Oh. Well.......... I sold it when I started
dating my wife, 17+ years ago....... was it a big mistake???.....
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

NO.....I guess not.....:bounce:

Funny those here that talk of being a loner...........I was always accused
of being one.......I just don't see it.................I like to think
of it as Independent, I've just never had a NEED to run with a "CROWD" :quote:.

TimAT.........I had a '73 Z-28 as well ...... the only sports car I ever owned
before buying the Vette. I bought it minus the motor. Other wise the car
was loaded, I guess. TH400, A/C. Hounds tooth interior, 4:11 posi. (orig. 3:42)
The car was factory black with NO stripes.....was special ordered that way.
Wished I had kept that one.......Oh. Well.......... I sold it when I started
dating my wife, 17+ years ago....... was it a big mistake???.....
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

NO.....I guess not.....:bounce:

Second Gen F bodies are killer. I've owned 4 and loved everyone of them. It is a great platform for building something "killer fast".:cool: